• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Fryer

Adrian Mutu

Why is it everyone seems certain that Mutu is going this summer? I for one think he, like Crespo is certainly worth another season. I know he wasn't exactly spectacular for us this season, but he certainly showed enough class early on, and enough fight throughout to be worthy of more time. Lets not forget that he was voted by his fellow professionals in Italy, only last year, as the best foreign player in that league, that is praise indeed. He has had a lot of off the field problems, and I think we could live to regret it if we sold him on. That's why, JFH would be my only sale up front this summer.

I think you're right, I'd give Mutu another year. We need to be careful not to create the 'revolving door'. As someone else said regarding Crespo, look at Angel at Villa, he's been crap for 3 years before last season. I'm not saying we should wait that long, but a little patience is required here I think.

Apparently he's divorcing his wife, which can't put you in the best frame of mind. Give the lad a chance; remember how good he was early doors last season?

I agree, we saw Mutu play well from his first game until Dec/Jan and then something happened. I guess a dip in performance coupled with his problems outside of football (recent divorce, not being able to see his son often, loneliness) led to this problem and his confidence went down, which is really hard to recover.

To be honest I am fed up with people saying we should sell him. There is only one weak reason why we should (he is off form), and there are many why we shouldn't, including:

1. He showed he can cope with and play well in English football

2. Good players do not get rubbish overnight! Every player has bursts of form, and even the likes of Henry has gone through dry patches.

3. Who was our best player last season (02/03)? Zola. How was he the season before? So bad he considered retiring - Mutu is much younger and has the summer to improve on his problems, who knows maybe next season he'll have a season like Zola did his last year.

4. You cannot ever accuse him of laziness or lack of effort, the poor guy plays his socks off every time - when he gets his form back, which he will, he will be a very valuable player.

I agree we have a problem up front, but selling Mutu is not the answer. Personally I think we should sell Jimmy because he’s not cut out for it anymore and only puts in the effort when it suits him. Crespo is desperate to impress and is slowly showing his true class, Eidur loves the club and plays well. I think we could just sign 1 more top class striker and have the foursome of Eidur, Crespo, Mutu and someone new... only problem would be keeping all for happy...

What do you reckon?

Interesting news I have just read a few minutes ago which is on the subject... Apparently Morientes has 90% signed with an as yet unnamed club, believed to be Chelsea or Arsenal. He would be fantastic! I really hope its us, we've all seen him recently and know what damage he can do! Could turn out to be our worst nightmare though if it’s Arsenal.

I agree with you. Mutu is first class, if he gets settled in the club. However, I think he needs to join Joe Cole at his shooting lessons. He looks like a kid when all his corners barely lift above the ground and lands before it reaches the penalty box. None the less, he proved early on this season he can get us lots of goals when in form. He went at least seven matches (including cups and national team matches) without failing to score. He deserves a second season to prove himself.

Sleenutz   

I strongly agree that JFH should be the only striker moving on this summer. I think that Mutu and Crespo have both had somewhat promising first years in a new league, country, etc. When you must move into a new country, get settled, learn the language, it will always take time. That Mutu started so strong was quite a positive and I think we should give him more support and the team needs stability instead of constant press gossip about comings and goings. Also, take a look at Crespo's strike rate. It is quite good and if we had a left (Duff please get better) or right winger who could put in a decent cross I am sure he would score more with his head. Remember, he's first choice for Argentina and last I checked they're not bad.

To tell you the truth, I would like to believe that Mutu has something special in store for us next season. But rumours of him being unhappy at Chelsea and learning that he’s a smoker and that the harder he tries the worse his goal scoring ratio becomes has quite frankly been frustrating beyond return. I would give him another season but if that fails then bye bye.

Catarina   

I didn't know that he smoked! Well anyway, there's no doubt that he can be very good, as we saw at the start of the season, but he needs to have the right partner. At Parma he and Adriano killed renown Italian defences. Give him time to settle with a poacher and he'll be fine.

I have to be honest, I don't like Mutu. I didn't think he was very good last season in Serie A and I couldn't believe he'd actually made 18 goals. there's also a strong sence of arrogance about him when you see his interviews

He had good performances this season against Blackburn (home), Tottenham(home)leiceister(home), Lazio(home). For me his form dipped in October, not in December. His build up play is ok but his goal-scoring record is appalling and his body language against Aston Villa just showed that he's just not good enough for this club, by all means give Crespo another year, but I don't want Mutu here next season and I think it's very unfortunate he's being given another season.

Charlie   

Any player, who can score 18 goals in Italy, should be capable of scoring twice that here. However I think that again this comes down to Ranieri. I think that as with most of our players who have not be performing well this season, Mutu needs to have a bit more of a regular role. At the start of the season, most people thought that he was going to be a regular, and he was performing well. However then Ranieri's tinkering with the team started and Mutu goes off the boil.

I also agree that the only member of our strike force that needs to be sold is Hasselbaink.