• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Non Chelsea: International Football

Holymoly   

21 goals in 28 Liverpool games and one poor performance for England = we were right to sell him?

He'd still be struggling at the Bridge with the every man for himself attitude we tend to have, preferring not to concentrate on a single point of attack like Scum. Probably would still be moaning too about how he's being asked to play out wide. His attitude is better served at Liverpool as he'd never be the man at Chelsea. I'd prefer Lukaku over him in our team any day.

Holymoly   

Is that the same in the other developed nations though?

Go to other European countries and you still see kids outside playing, so I'd say no it's not the same here.

paulw66   

Yes - where did the great French sides of 10 or 15 years ago get their players? Where do the Belgians get half of theirs now? Where are the Germans coming from (E Europe and Turkey).

Sorry, I meant dont the other developed countries have the same issues with lazy kids etc...?

paulw66   

. Probably would still be moaning too about how he's being asked to play out wide.

This never happened, not publically anyway.

He was playing out wide, journalist would ask, "where would you rather play". Answer, "I would rather play centre forward but happy being in the team...blah blah "

Headline, "Sturridge demands to play centre foward"

todongo   

Yes - where did the great French sides of 10 or 15 years ago get their players? Where do the Belgians get half of theirs now? Where are the Germans coming from (E Europe and Turkey).

Belgium and France is worth mentioning in the context of your topic, but...

The French have something historic and cultural that the English do not.

The German national team is still comprised of only about 20% call-ups who are offspring of immigrants

The Spanish have maybe a few immigrants, and the Italians... maybe 3 out the recent call-ups.

If you want to compare Germany and England, do it as Arsene Wenger has done: compare the total number of participants in youth football and club football. This stems from culture in Germany (the family unit) and government/local investment in football.

Culture, diet, infrastructure, coaching... I think Continental Europe may always have an advantage unless someone can unify LEAD the English both from the management level and from the bureaucratic level (government and English FA). NOT IMPOSSIBLE, but requires something that has not yet emerged. I hear a lot of talk about bureaucratic vision of England's footballing future and sport/athletics in general, but what do you do about the CULTURE and the quality of coaching and guided training? And the culture at home?

These seemingly intractable problems sound familiar to me and, for the record, I will readily acknowledge at any moment that the USA too often looks hopeless across large swathes of its population. From a historic perspective, I think I know where this comes from and a lot of it stems from collectivism vs. individualism, religion, education quality, geography, and perhaps monoculture/monolingualism.

The solution for the USA and England is, IMO, that a dramatic shift in values, ideology and overall culture must occur during the 21st century. At present, a large percentage both countries are still too nostaligic, chauvinistic and influenced by history and success--or the spoils of the past. There is hope though; hope in change.

Edited by todongo

The solution for the USA and England is, IMO, that a dramatic shift in values, ideology and overall culture must occur during the 21st century. At present, a large percentage both countries are still too nostaligic, chauvinistic and influenced by history and success--or the spoils of the past. There is hope though; hope in change.

I'm not sure why we need a solution to be honest.

paulw66   

Go to other European countries and you still see kids outside playing, so I'd say no it's not the same here.

That's all well and good but one thing doesnt add up........we just had one of the greatest Olympic medal hauls in our history, we have the Tour de France winner (without drugs hopefully) and our cricket team has fairly recently reached number 1 in the world rankings. Our rugby team gave the best side in the world a good run for their money on Saturday. None of these things point towards having a less enthused, lazy young population in terms of application to sport.

The problem with our national team (which has been the same since the dawn of time) is the structure of our youth football, which I am pleased to say has and is being readdressed. Trouble is, it will take our national team 15 to 20 years to see any benefit.

Which will mean that we will always be 15 - 20 years behind, as other countries will continually move forward. Sadly.

Sorry, I meant dont the other developed countries have the same issues with lazy kids etc...?

Yes we do. I look at my younger brother (my junior by 10 years) and I just want to smack him sometimes. His laziness is appalling.

University is free in Scandinavia yet people can't even be bothered to have a free education anymore. They can't spell, they can't write proper swedish and it's all about X-Factor, Idol, reality shows, young mothers (some idiots who shouldn't be allowed outside let alone getting kids) etc etc.

England isn't any worse than other countries I'd say. I should know, I lived in quite a few.

I look at the youngsters today and it's all about shopping, video games, entertainment and ZERO investment in their own futures.

Lazy fools.