• Current Donation Goals

Blue_Fever

Official: Eden Hazard Departs For Real Madrid

Bison   

It's only pre-season but the defensive work Hazard did in the Inter game was very promising. He provided good cover for the fullback, won the ball back several times and closed passing lanes/pressed well. It looks like a big improvement from last season, although to be fair to him he got better at it as the season progressed.

It looks like a big improvement from last season, although to be fair to him he got better at it as the season progressed.

This was probably the most pleasing aspect of his game last season for me. He was woeful at times during the early games.

Harvz   

Looks to me like he's struggling without a threat ahead of him at the moment. He gets crowded out and the only pass is sideways. Mata in the side would solve that indirectly. As would a striker that people actually fear.

Looks to me like he's struggling without a threat ahead of him at the moment. He gets crowded out and the only pass is sideways. Mata in the side would solve that indirectly. As would a striker that people actually fear.

What're you talking about?

I fear Torres.

Flinkers   

There's certainly a bit of that going on but I think mainly he's struggling to meet Mourinho's desire for defensive work rate and increase his productivity when he gets the ball. One role is suffering while he tries to find the right balance with other.

It also looks like he came back carrying a bit too much weight (I don't know if that's from increased gym work or not enough maintenance while on holiday - my guess is the latter).

A few more weeks and hopefully we'll start to see the Hazard of late last season.

Hs performances show why Willian is not such a crazy, puzzling buy. We have 6 AM (no point including Moses tbh). With mata, Oscar and KDB we have quality in, mainly, passing accuracy. It's their ability to manipulate the game through possession and finding a telling pass which is their main threat. Hazard and Schurrle to an extent. They're the main ones that could carry the ball. What happens, as seen this season so far, when they aren't playing well? We could use all three 'possession' players which, lets be honest, is hardly a poor team. But against the likes of the Man U's, you need both a plan B, as in a Hazard/Willian type player AND competition to make sure that when they do start/come on they actually influence to the extent they can. How many times did Kalou or Zhirkov come on in a game a few years ago to try and salvage a game, yet didn't make an impact? Regardless of whether Hazard starts or not be knows he will have to influence the game to an extent, or in whichever way the gaffer has instructed him to or he will be off. He have William now, who can be just as effective, as creative as Eden.

Competition just doesn't provide options, it pushes players. So what if Hazard, or even mata ends up being dropped? If they are good enough they'll play and certainly will if they keep providing. If they don't, then they're on the bench and can't complain.

Based on what we've seen at Chelsea and, as far as can be judged from youtube clips, his time in France, Eden does have these, sometimes quite extended, bad moments. When he's suffering one of his Carlo moments, Eden does not look to be a particularly special player but when he's on his game he is so very special that I for one can live with the quieter games in between.

As long as he does his work and passes competently then opponents still have to cater for the fact that he might do something exceptional at any moment. That in itself represents a reasonable contribution while we're waiting for the magic to arrive. Of course these days catering for Eden seems to boil down to kicking him as soon as possible after he receives the ball but that's another story..