• Current Donation Goals

cc1173

Jose Mourinho Sacked For The Second Time by Chelsea. Joins Manchester United. And now sacked by them too!

cam4blue   
31 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Oh God!!! The dream job... but he'd already agreed to go somewhere else. I've heard stories he got Mendes to see if the pre-agreement could be cancelled. No, came the answer (after all, from our point of view, there was no-one else suitable available, so both sides were in a bit of a pickle).

Are you sure you don't mean "I made up" rather than "I've heard" because that "story" is a brand new one on me (and it definitely wasn't the line you were spinning earlier in the season). 

Whatever the exact truth, I believed in 2013 and believe now his ultimate dream has always been the United job, think he saw it as the ultimate culmination of his club career. He thought he'd lost it in 2013, and came here either to prove he could do the long-term thing, or because he had no other alternative.

In hindsight, it's difficult to see him ever being serious about doing long-term with us - he rarely blooded the kids, even when he said he would (he said he'd give RLC a run when things were bad, and he gave him 60 minutes). I think he may have pushed things to the limit here knowing there's a chance he could be sacked, and then he'd wait for the United job.

In terms of what happened in 2013, Ferguson said in his recent book that Jose had already agreed to go to Chelsea when the United job became available. Which would add credence to the theory that Mendes tried to get him out of his pre-contract deal with us, to take the United job. That said, Beasley knows Jose well and if he said he only took the Chelsea job as he didn't get the United one stands up too.

Either way, it appears more and more we were only an interim job for him second time out.

Edited by James Prescott

52 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

In hindsight, it's difficult to see him ever being serious about doing long-term with us - he rarely blooded the kids, even when he said he would (he said he'd give RLC a run when things were bad, and he gave him 60 minutes). I think he may have pushed things to the limit here knowing there's a chance he could be sacked, and then he'd wait for the United job.

Yet JM started RLC in 2 PL games in 14/15.

xCELERYx   

Jose Mourinho said: 'To become Manchester United manager is a special honour in the game. It is a club known and admired throughout the world. There is a mystique and a romance about it which no other club can match.

'I have always felt an affinity with Old Trafford; it has hosted some important memories for me in my career and I have always enjoyed a rapport with the United fans. I'm looking forward to being their manager and enjoying their magnificent support in the coming years.'

kratos   

It's a bitter pill to swallow but at the end of the day it's a job and we can't expect him to not take on account of us.

Dingus   
25 minutes ago, kratos said:

It's a bitter pill to swallow but at the end of the day it's a job and we can't expect him to not take on account of us.

Is it a bitter pill though? We sacked him twice.

I'm slightly more annoyed about his mystique that can't be matched by another club comment, but tbh, he has to say that to appease the Utd fans.

It is what it is and we move on.

Time to lock this thread and move on

1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

Whatever the exact truth, I believed in 2013 and believe now his ultimate dream has always been the United job, think he saw it as the ultimate culmination of his club career. He thought he'd lost it in 2013, and came here either to prove he could do the long-term thing, or because he had no other alternative.

[SNIP]

At the time, neither Chelsea nor Mourinho had many options open to them, other than a return into each other's arms.
JM knew the writing was on the wall regarding Madrid, and all the other big clubs had settled managers (the news of SAF's retirement hadn't yet been made public). We had Rafa on a temporary basis. Unless we were to offer him the job on a permanent basis, there was no-one else really available.

49 minutes ago, zaffo said:

Jose Mourinho said: 'To become Manchester United manager is a special honour in the game. It is a club known and admired throughout the world. There is a mystique and a romance about it which no other club can match.

'I have always felt an affinity with Old Trafford; it has hosted some important memories for me in my career and I have always enjoyed a rapport with the United fans. I'm looking forward to being their manager and enjoying their magnificent support in the coming years.'

Not really surprising and not really something to be offended by (unless you happen to be one of the ones who fell for the "one of us" shtick). Any manager joining a new club will say what a great opportunity it is, how wonderful the fans are, etc., etc.

As I've said before, players and managers come and go... only the fans are truly loyal (obvious exceptions include the very rare one-club players like JT).