• Current Donation Goals

cc1173

Jose Mourinho Sacked For The Second Time by Chelsea. Joins Manchester United. And now sacked by them too!

I find it strange with Pellegrini - all this "anyone could win with City" is like people said about us 10 years ago. It's not true.

Pelligrini won the PL in his first season and the league cup. They are in title contention this season, in the semis of the league cup and in the knockout stages of the CL. They play great football. And Pellegrini does try different tactics/formations, and manages players well.

Part of the problem at City right now is they even the players know Pep is coming in next season. So it's difficult to do your job properly.

He'd get money here. He'd get a top squad. He'd be backed not undermined. He would do well, though whoever it is, we need to realise this league is far more competitive now, not too much chance one team will really dominate winning it.

I think Conte would be on the list above him. If Simeone and Pep aren't available Conte's record with Juve and Italy makes him a top candidate. He has been linked too.

I mean if Hiddink does well - say he gets us top half and wins a trophy, even the CL - then why not give him a two or three year contract?

In terms of rumoured contact with Pellegrini - in the past when appointing a manager we contact a few people before we actually appoint a manager. Doesn't mean he will get the job.

If he does though, please let's get behind him and give him a chance, rather than write him off and hold him to impossible standards before he has begun.

I mean Pep, Simeone, Conte, Pellegrini, Emery, Pochettino, Pardew - they would all do well here with our budget and our squad. They are all good managers.

Whoever ends up here in the summer, we should all get behind them rather than keep harking back to comparisons with Jose or past glories.

It was you and Droy who used to educate me on how Jose Mourinho built a team that kept on winning long after he'd gone. Now you're saying it was none of his business. So when the team is winning it's Mourinho's good work, when it's not, the players must have been bought by the "board". What else did you learn from Jose Mourinho?

Nice try Red Rod but I'm not baiting tonight.

In ref to paulw66 post. I think I would challenge point 4 about transfer /squad.

It is true Mourinho was lauded for moulding this team with additions of Matic,Fab, Costa..... and rightly so I think. It's difficult with transfers to know exactly who should take the credit/blame for a sighning. Who wanted who, which players were hoisted on the coach without his knowledge?, was it emanalo, was it Roman or was it Mourinho himself who demanded a certain player.

I see it like this. When a new coach arrives, especially one like Mourinho, he can lay down the law a bit. We wanted to get him here so he may have had promises given to him on an initial transfer budget or told if he could sell xyz he could try and buy abc. New slate new manager new players. I think we can all agree on that. I for one am pretty confident that he moulded than PL double winning team but obvs I can't prove it.

I then get the feeling that after we won the title so convincingly , things changed a little. Yes they offered silly money for Stones but Roman and the board put themselves back in charge of transfers. No need for major upheaval (wrong) sell Cech to Arsenal (wrong). I mean who here thinks that was JM's decision.

This could be why they gave Jose quite a bit of rope to fix things. So in short Paul, I give much credit for Jose for winning the league but I reckon the board then took back control over transfer issues.

The board always have their say in transfers. I can honestly only identify two players that were clear Mourinho buys without a question this time around - Fabregas and Costa.

Yes - both have been poor this season. But without them, we don't win the league last year. End of.

I think we can make this quite simple.

Certainly results weren't up to the expectations of the club.

JM might have been disappointed with the players, or with the 3 or 4 players he didn't have. But it did not look like it was getting better from my armchair, and I doubt it felt any better at Cobham.

Emenalo could have said there was conflict between club and JM (though there doesn't seem to be in any respect but results). He could have said there was conflict between players and manager (though again there doesn't seem to be).

He said discord - which does not necessarily mean conflict, just not matching. A change might be the best solution.

I don't think we need to assume any Prima Donnas at all. Just that what ever JM was doing wasn't working.

As for Eva I strongly believe that there was no real behind the scenes. A girl got stroppy and then realised she had overstepped and did not know how to get out of it.

Happens all the time - to men too.

Apart from the Eva bit, I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with you for the second time in just a few days!!!

I agree "palpable discord" does NOT mean open hostility and back-stabbing, which is what some fans, here and at SB, seem to believe it means.

Chel_don   

I find it strange with Pellegrini - all this "anyone could win with City" is like people said about us 10 years ago. It's not true.

Pelligrini won the PL in his first season and the league cup. They are in title contention this season, in the semis of the league cup and in the knockout stages of the CL. They play great football. And Pellegrini does try different tactics/formations, and manages players well.

Part of the problem at City right now is they even the players know Pep is coming in next season. So it's difficult to do your job properly.

He'd get money here. He'd get a top squad. He'd be backed not undermined. He would do well, though whoever it is, we need to realise this league is far more competitive now, not too much chance one team will really dominate winning it.

I think Conte would be on the list above him. If Simeone and Pep aren't available Conte's record with Juve and Italy makes him a top candidate. He has been linked too.

I mean if Hiddink does well - say he gets us top half and wins a trophy, even the CL - then why not give him a two or three year contract?

In terms of rumoured contact with Pellegrini - in the past when appointing a manager we contact a few people before we actually appoint a manager. Doesn't mean he will get the job.

If he does though, please let's get behind him and give him a chance, rather than write him off and hold him to impossible standards before he has begun.

I mean Pep, Simeone, Conte, Pellegrini, Emery, Pochettino, Pardew - they would all do well here with our budget and our squad. They are all good managers.

Whoever ends up here in the summer, we should all get behind them rather than keep harking back to comparisons with Jose or past glories.

You can't be serious with regard to Pellegrini. I would rather take Steve Holland. Pellegrini has been really holding back City all these seasons. Thought he would be sacked at the end of last season. Look at what Pellegrini has done with the City budget. If he can't do well with a budget that big then I dont want to know what he can do with a budget like ours.

He'd get money here. He'd get a top squad. He'd be backed not undermined.

And when he hasn't won away by Xmas the individuals will sack him.

cam4blue   

He still may have some issues with a more pragmatic style of football. We have to remember their fans have had best part of 20 years watching the best football in the land and being succesful. They have now had three years of Shiite football with no success.

We could accept the pragmatic football a lot easier as we had years of not much success.

I would not call his style of football dull, but in comparison to the SAF years it's quite different.

Ferguson played a high-energy, long-ball 4-4-2 for years, then morphed his team into a clone of Jose's 4-3-3. Fast, direct football with workrate was his hall-mark, rather than "pretty football".
"Good football" as it is generally meant in the football world (lots of possession, lots of tight technical play) is exactly what they are upset with now. They would love a Jose to come in and start bombing it forward with pace. LVG doesn't have a "pragmatic" approach, he has a possession based approach, and he believes that to be "good football". Definitions in this country differ, and most think fast, direct play is the most entertaining (as can be seen in your assessment of Fergie's Utd teams; we probably played "better football" than any Fergie team under Gullit and Vialli).
If he goes there, both he and they are laughing. There will be no directions from an over-eager chairman desperate to have a team playing tiki-taka. Players who don't fancy doing it every week will be seen as a problem, not catered to. There'll be no penny-pinching on transfers, and I'd bet that in two transfer windows there he'd have a higher net spend than this whole 2nd spell here (and all of it would go on first teamers, not pet projects or player stabling). I don't even think he'd get the same hard-time from the media or The FA/refs/whoever. Any "anti-Jose" sentiment would be over-ridden by the "pro-Utd" sentiment.
I honestly think that if he ends up at Utd it will show us up for how we've been running this club (which is not saying he did a perfect job here or would do a perfect job there; before the inevitable replies occur).

He still may have some issues with a more pragmatic style of football. We have to remember their fans have had best part of 20 years watching the best football in the land and being succesful. They have now had three years of Shiite football with no success.

We could accept the pragmatic football a lot easier as we had years of not much success.

I would not call his style of football dull, but in comparison to the SAF years it's quite different.

It really isn't.

The difference between SAF and JM is that JM can play 10 different types of football and still win. Look at his second season at Real, his first and second at Chelsea, his second at Porto, his second at Inter or his first and second seasons in his second stint here.

People are not understanding his genius. That's understandable because most people have no clue.

Mutu7   

Pelligrini won the PL in his first season and the league cup.

City had all but blown the title that season until we did them (and the whole of football) a massive favour by beating Liverpool at Anfield, something they'd failed to do the week before. If he's that good, why are City letting him go?

Ferguson played a high-energy, long-ball 4-4-2 for years, then morphed his team into a clone of Jose's 4-3-3. Fast, direct football with workrate was his hall-mark, rather than "pretty football".

"Good football" as it is generally meant in the football world (lots of possession, lots of tight technical play) is exactly what they are upset with now. They would love a Jose to come in and start bombing it forward with pace. LVG doesn't have a "pragmatic" approach, he has a possession based approach, and he believes that to be "good football". Definitions in this country differ, and most think fast, direct play is the most entertaining (as can be seen in your assessment of Fergie's Utd teams; we probably played "better football" than any Fergie team under Gullit and Vialli).

If he goes there, both he and they are laughing. There will be no directions from an over-eager chairman desperate to have a team playing tiki-taka. Players who don't fancy doing it every week will be seen as a problem, not catered to. There'll be no penny-pinching on transfers, and I'd bet that in two transfer windows there he'd have a higher net spend than this whole 2nd spell here (and all of it would go on first teamers, not pet projects or player stabling). I don't even think he'd get the same hard-time from the media or The FA/refs/whoever. Any "anti-Jose" sentiment would be over-ridden by the "pro-Utd" sentiment.

I honestly think that if he ends up at Utd it will show us up for how we've been running this club (which is not saying he did a perfect job here or would do a perfect job there; before the inevitable replies occur).

Spot on cam. Spot on.