• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sir

Squad Status: 2013/2014 Season

Sir   

By the way... Am I the only one who seem to think JM confirmed KDB and RL to stay with us?

Think that's roughly confirmed. Think it's also nearly confirmed that Courtois will stay on loan at Atletico, again. Boy, that club seriously owes us for lending our talent to them all this time!

hanuma   

Interesting to hear Jose say that he expects to win the Premier league by season 2, perhaps an element of false modesty there, but as I suggested here the squad appeared to be constructed with 2015 in mind. That would have been 5 years on from the Ancelotti double season, and the summer where we started to seriously dismantle the Jose-era-encompassing squad.

hanuma   

Although there's not been a headline story about it, most Chelsea related stories coming out now suggest a deal for Jovetic is happening simultaneously to a deal for Cavani, whilst the Schurrle transfer is dieing a death and De Bruyne returns (who can play wide but was most often used centrally for Leverkusen). We've also apparently bought Markovic who, like Jovetic, for all his versatility, isn't a natural wide player. Would suggest we'll see a 2 striker system a fair amount next season. Hazard with Cavani could be rather spectacular together up front.

Although there's not been a headline story about it, most Chelsea related stories coming out now suggest a deal for Jovetic is happening simultaneously to a deal for Cavani, whilst the Schurrle transfer is dieing a death and De Bruyne returns (who can play wide but was most often used centrally for Leverkusen). We've also apparently bought Markovic who, like Jovetic, for all his versatility, isn't a natural wide player. Would suggest we'll see a 2 striker system a fair amount next season. Hazard with Cavani could be rather spectacular together up front.

Where, if at all, do you see the likes of Ake, Chalobah, McEachran, van Aanholt, Kalas, Wallace, Delac, Piazon and (the almost forgotten-about) Thorgan Hazard featuring in the squad? Also, I wonder if the likes of Feruz, Bamford and Loftus-Cheek are worthy of any level of consideration? I know with some of these guys that it'd be a stretch, but others here that I've seen impressed when I watched them play (Ake, Chalobah, Piazon, etc). Just looking for first-hand opinions, really.

Jay Seal   

Where, if at all, do you see the likes of Ake, Chalobah, McEachran, van Aanholt, Kalas, Wallace, Delac, Piazon and (the almost forgotten-about) Thorgan Hazard featuring in the squad? Also, I wonder if the likes of Feruz, Bamford and Loftus-Cheek are worthy of any level of consideration? I know with some of these guys that it'd be a stretch, but others here that I've seen impressed when I watched them play (Ake, Chalobah, Piazon, etc). Just looking for first-hand opinions, really.

Based on what we've seen so far this summer I should think our young players might need to perform well playing in a decent league which for nearly all of them would mean another season on loan at least before they are in a position to stake a claim like Lukaku and KDB have.

Only potentials for this season I would think might be Chalobah, Kalas or maybe PvA from reports. I wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho wants to keep more in house with the 21's which could lead to some crossover, not sure if it's his call though?

Isn't it funny that this is the first season when there have been no calls for Josh to be starting regularly.

hanuma   

Juni knows best. It's very difficult to say before the main players are confirmed and transfer speculation becomes reality. Thorgan Hazard's actually been talked about quite a lot around the internet this summer with his call up to the full Belgian NT. Of your list he'd arguably be the most ready to contribute. One of his strengths is also possibly a weakness, in that he offers a lot of the same things De Bruyne does, who in turn is a player that I'd see behind Oscar in the pecking order, unless Mourinho thought De Bruyne's game could be adapted to the extent that he and Oscar could play in the same midfield together. Of our defenders, Kalas, Omereu, Ake, PVA and Wallace, I'd say Ake isn't ready, PVA isn't good enough, Wallace is far too green, but either Kalas or Omereu could provide valuable cover, Kalas in particular because he's versatile enough to do a job at left back too. Chalobah is a far more competent holding midfielder than Romeu, and he'd stand a better chance of getting games than McEachran, who I suspect will be sold if Van Ginkel is purchased.

Of the younger prospects Loftus-Cheek, Feruz, Baker and Boga all look tremendously gifted, can't really say how mentally ready they are till preseason.

Isn't it funny that this is the first season when there have been no calls for Josh to be starting regularly.

Yeah he was going to be our salvation . Funny that.

Vinod   

He needs a coach who can push him hard. That is a potential problem with loan moves - a whole year soaking up mediocrity

A lot of the summer left but the early indications are very good for squad depth- Schurrle in, Lukaku and De Bruyne remaining at the club. Looks like that broken, old 'small squad' record might just get chucked out.