• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sir

Squad Status: 2013/2014 Season

hanuma   

A lot of the summer left but the early indications are very good for squad depth- Schurrle in, Lukaku and De Bruyne remaining at the club. Looks like that broken, old 'small squad' record might just get chucked out.

At Madrid, Jose used 9 forwards/att.midfielders last season: Ronaldo (55 apps), Modric (53), Ozil (52), Di Maria (52), Benzema (50), Higuain (44), Callejon (41), Kaka (26), Morata (15). Not inconceivable that he'd want something like Cavani, Lukaku, Hazard, Schurrle, Jovetic, Mata, Oscar, De Bruyne, Moses.

paulw66   

A lot of the summer left but the early indications are very good for squad depth- Schurrle in, Lukaku and De Bruyne remaining at the club. Looks like that broken, old 'small squad' record might just get chucked out.

We've already got rid of 5 players who contributed next to nothing last season and have added Lukaku, KdB, and Shurrle

We've already got rid of 5 players who contributed next to nothing last season and have added Lukaku, KdB, and Shurrle

I guess when you put it like that it certainly does look like a decent start to the window.

That's a rumoured fee of £35-40m for the trio. That's pretty sound business actually.

GK- Cech, 2nd choice (López or Delač?),Blackman.

RB- Azpi, Ivanovic.

LB- Cole, Bertrand.

CB- JT, Luiz, Cahill, New CB.

DM- Mikel, Essien, Romeu, (New DM).

CM- Ramires, Oscar, KDB, Lampard.

RAW- Hazard, Moses.

CAM- Mata.

LAW- Schurrle.

FW- New striker (Lewandowski, Cavani or Gomes), Lukaku, Schurrle (as 3rd choice if needed)

Sell- Torres, Ba, Marin, Kakuta, ( if we get £30m that would be a good deal).

Loan- Piazon, Chalobah, Courtois, PVA, McEachran, T. Hazard, Wallace (all top tier clubs in England or Europe)

Loan-RLC, Aké (playing at least Championship level to develop).

So... In the pool for 2013/14:

GK: Cech, Walker, Delac, Blackman

RB: Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Kane

CB: Luiz, Terry, Cahill, Kalas, Omeruo

LB: Cole, Bertrand

CM: Lampard, Ramires, Mikel, Essien, Romeu, McEachran, Chalobah, Ake, Loftus-Cheek

AM: Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Moses, De Bruyne, Shurrle, Marin, Piazon, Kakuta, T. Hazard

S: Torres, Lukaku, Ba

Some of the names in italics will no doubt be let go or out on loan. It feels like one of the three keepers will get the nod. I also think Kalas or Omeruo might have a shot. I also think at least one of Chalobah, McEachran, Ake or RLC will get a squad place. I also hope for one out of Piazon/T. Hazard.

For Kakuta this must surely be it. I'd be surprised if he's not sold (or let go on a free even) this summer.

The three names in bold (plus a CB) should be replaced with the big(ish) name signings. This is where we should splash the cash. One CB, One CM, one AM and one S.

It may be too much to ask for, but if we do sign nice improvements in those areas then I'd consider us serious title contenders.

paulw66   

So... In the pool for 2013/14:

GK: Cech, Walker, Delac, Blackman

RB: Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Kane

CB: Luiz, Terry, Cahill, Kalas, Omeruo

LB: Cole, Bertrand

CM: Lampard, Ramires, Mikel, Essien, Romeu, McEachran, Chalobah, Ake, Loftus-Cheek

AM: Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Moses, De Bruyne, Shurrle, Marin, Piazon, Kakuta, T. Hazard

S: Torres, Lukaku, Ba

Some of the names in italics will no doubt be let go or out on loan. It feels like one of the three keepers will get the nod. I also think Kalas or Omeruo might have a shot. I also think at least one of Chalobah, McEachran, Ake or RLC will get a squad place. I also hope for one out of Piazon/T. Hazard.

For Kakuta this must surely be it. I'd be surprised if he's not sold (or let go on a free even) this summer.

The three names in bold (plus a CB) should be replaced with the big(ish) name signings. This is where we should splash the cash. One CB, One CM, one AM and one S.

It may be too much to ask for, but if we do sign nice improvements in those areas then I'd consider us serious title contenders.

I'd like us to be brave and use a Kalas or an Omeru in the sqaud. we already have 4 established CBs in the squad.

A strong central midfielder, a top striker in, plus back up GK

Get rid of Marin, Romeu, Torres, Kakuta (agreed, ship has sailed)

Loan out some of the kids. Think Wallace, Chalobah, Piazon are all certs to get loaned.

Happy days.

hanuma   

I'd like us to be brave and use a Kalas or an Omeru in the sqaud. we already have 4 established CBs in the squad.

Technically if Ivanovic is regarded as a rightback then either would count as the 4th centreback in the squad. I have wondered whether the club would consider selling Ivanovic as a player who could demand a high transfer fee, helping balance the books, have Kalas as backup rightback and then bring in a centreback like Mangala with Terry out the door at the end of his contract. I personally don't see Gary Cahill staying with us for the entirety of Jose's reign, so positions will be available in the next 2 years for Omereu AND Kalas to progress to full first team duties, if indeed they continue to improve.

Technically if Ivanovic is regarded as a rightback then either would count as the 4th centreback in the squad. I have wondered whether the club would consider selling Ivanovic as a player who could demand a high transfer fee, helping balance the books, have Kalas as backup rightback and then bring in a centreback like Mangala with Terry out the door at the end of his contract. I personally don't see Gary Cahill staying with us for the entirety of Jose's reign, so positions will be available in the next 2 years for Omereu AND Kalas to progress to full first team duties, if indeed they continue to improve.

Assuming that a decent offer comes in for him, I think that the first one to go will be Luiz. Let's not forget that Mourinho first and foremost, expects his defenders to be able to defend, and I doubt that he'll be fooled by the perm, or the crazy 'geezer' tweets. Imo, he'll see Luiz as too high risk, and a defensive liability, so I expect a Mangala in - Luiz out scenario.

hanuma   

Assuming that a decent offer comes in for him, I think that the first one to go will be Luiz. Let's not forget that Mourinho first and foremost, expects his defenders to be able to defend, and I doubt that he'll be fooled by the perm, or the crazy 'geezer' tweets. Imo, he'll see Luiz as too high risk, and a defensive liability, so I expect a Mangala in - Luiz out scenario.

Maybe, but that offer hasn't come and Barca appear to want Thiago Silva now, there are other options available to them too, like Sociedad's Inigo Martinez. I do find it hard to imagine that Luiz would be sold this summer. Luiz appears to be a part of 'the group', it might be traumatic surgery to rip him out now while he's still thought of by others as a big game player who makes key contributions (as well as mistakes). One thing to consider is that if you coach out some of Luiz's failings, limit his rash decisions, then you possibly still have a much better player than Gary Cahill, and a player with enough ability to offer more options for the squad as a libero, part-time fullback, or kitchen-sink-striker. If we bought Mangala, I could see a situation where him and Luiz become the first choice with Terry and Cahill deputising. That's fine for Terry at this stage of his career, with no more national team ambitions, but at 27 Cahill doesn't want to find himself behind England's ex-Captain, and two younger internationals.

On the other hand, if what we've seen from Luiz is all we'll ever get then I don't expect him to be around for much of 2014.

That's fine for Terry at this stage of his career, with no more national team ambitions, but at 27 Cahill doesn't want to find himself behind England's ex-Captain, and two younger internationals.

I doubt Cahill wants to be back at a club where you play a maximum of 41 first team games a season, and no one ever treats you like an candidate player for England.

3rd choice or 4th choice at Chelsea is a much better place to try for an England career. And if he has a wife, I'm sure she has a view over Chelsea vs Bolton salaries.