• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harvz

Van Ginkel

life   

MvG was said to be persuaded that Jose wants to integrate him in next season, with a view to replacing Lampard over the next 18 months.(Mirror)

MvG was said to be persuaded that Jose wants to integrate him in next season, with a view to replacing Lampard over the next 18 months.(Mirror)

Actually Lampard would the happiest man if that really has been said.

Another squad addition. I'll be pretty honest, I'm feeling pretty good about our chances next season. Squad depth wrecked us last season.. We've already added Schurrle, Van Ginkel, De Bruyne and possibly Lukaku as well.

4 potentially very useful players. Now we need a GK option though. That has to be a priority. Midfield looks reasonably good: Lampard, Mikel, Ramires, Van Ginkel, De Bruyne, and Essien. Ideally, I'd love to see us revert to a midfield 3, but then we'll need 1 more option. I dont really count Romeu because, well, he's not up to the standard IMO.

The thing is we need a world class striker and a world class midfielder in our starting 11 because even with our best team last year, we weren't good enough. De Bryune, Josh McEachran, Lukaku and all the other players we have on loan should be on the bench. why do we go and buy more young players? we have enough of those on loan. Piazon is also coming back next year so I just can't see why we went for this guy atm.

Piazon is also coming back next year so I just can't see why we went for this guy atm.

Because they play entirely different positions? May have misunderstood your comment, but I can't see any conflict there, tbh. Marco van Ginkel is a genuine box-to-box midfielder, along the lines of Frank Lampard. He also possesses a great pass (from what I've seen), and might just be a great fit in that double-pivot spot. If the personal details get worked out, then I think we've picked up a terrific player.

To answer your question as to why we buy young (or, more young) players: Hazard is a young player (22), as is Oscar (22), as is Lukaku (20), and so on. Should we have not bought those young players, simply because we need a world class striker (as well)? i don't disagree that we could do with a couple of experienced, quality players, but I'm also content that Mourinho knows what he's doing, given the style/shape he intends us to play with this season.

The thing is we need a world class striker and a world class midfielder in our starting 11 because even with our best team last year, we weren't good enough. De Bryune, Josh McEachran, Lukaku and all the other players we have on loan should be on the bench. why do we go and buy more young players? we have enough of those on loan. Piazon is also coming back next year so I just can't see why we went for this guy atm.

I agree that our best 11 last year certainly wasn't good enough - against Man City that is. I'll never understand why we chose to play a team set up like Man City with a 2 man midfield. IMO, we would've stood a much better chance against a team like City with a 3, possibly 4, man midfield. You simply cannot expect Ramires and Mikel alone to compete against the likes of Toure, Barry, Garcia, Milner, Aguero dropping deep, and Nasri all flooding the midfield.

Obviously our midfield isn't what it used to be, but it was made to look much worse by that formation we chose. Yet we persisted with that formation in those games. I easily knew we'd get trampled by City in all of our games against them last season.

I'm predicting something resembling a 4-3-3 next season - in the majority of games we play. I think we have too many players now who fall out of step with the 4-2-3-1.

The Van Ginkel signing almost rubber stamps that, in my mind anyway.

Juni   

Piazon is also coming back next year so I just can't see why we went for this guy atm.

Probably because Piazon's not remotely good enough yet.

DaveF   

Maybe we can, I dunno, rotate them instead of playing 50 games a season.

Baffling how some people are opposed to squad depth.

Not opposed to squad depth, but in right areas. We are well overloaded with midfielders from last year, we've already added four more this summer. Let alone the selection of players that we have out on loan.

Not opposed to squad depth, but in right areas. We are well overloaded with midfieldiers from last year, we've already added four more this summer. Let alone the selection of players that we have out on loan.

Are we overloaded in central midielders who can play in the pivot though? 2 positions, 4 players, 60 games. - Mikel, Lampard, MVG; Ramires. I've already explained why I dont think Essien can be used as anything but a last resort and Romeu will almost certainly get a loan back to spain. I honestly believe that we are a Danielle De Rossi short still. Admittidely that might signal Mikels exit but I'm so sure that it will.

So when you say the midfield is overloaded who are you including? Mata, Hazard, Schurrle? They are fowards and not competing with MVG. Josh, Chalaboh, Ake? correct positions but none of them are ready just yet and will go out on loan. Now if you said KDB and Oscar I could kind of see where you are coming from but neither of those two have any past experience playing in the pivot and I don't see that changing. If we switch to 4-3-3 then these two will be direct competition for MVG but it will then be 6 players competing for 3 spots rather than 4 for 2. This is across a 60 game season. If you look at the numbers that Lampard, Ramires, Luiz, Hazard, Mata, Oscar all played last year you would certainly see why they appeared to tiring. We needed a bigger squad and its great to see that the board have finally recognised this. Playing a european final with one striker in the entire squad and many games with your best centre back shoehorned into midfield is a disgrace and we are certainly not overloaded in midfield. Seeing West brom with superior striking options to us, with our best striker not even a guarenteed starter, was probably a low point for me.

So when you say the midfield is overloaded who are you including? Mata, Hazard, Schurrle? They are fowards and not competing with MVG. Josh, Chalaboh, Ake?

Yes - either that or we say we play 451 with 5 midfielders and 2 sub midfielders needed for every game. Which would mean at least 10 being int he squad.