• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

If we go with Drogba over Lukaku after going for Etoo instead of him last year IMO the plot has been lost! Just sell the poor sod and get a replacement - who that would be I have no idea. Better still believe in him and give him a go. I don't think we have resolved last seasons striker issues. Costa is limited though effective - we must have top quality options if he is injured or suspended. If not it could be déjà vu. Come out and stand by Lukaku

Ruudboy   

If Romelu could reproduce his form at Everton and West Brom, why would we complain? His first period at Chelsea was when he was unfamiliar with the English game, but what of 2013/14? Maybe these were performances against lesser sides? Only if you include Everton, Liverpool, Man Citeh, Arse in "lesser sides" (which we all do, but you get my point). Give him a year as Didier's understudy, then say farewell if it doesn't work.

CLUB FROM TO FEE LEAGUE FA CUP LGE CUP OTHER

APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS

Everton 02 Sep, 13 12 May, 14 Loan 29 (2) 15 1 (0) 1 1 (0) 0 0 (0) 0

West Brom 11 Aug, 12 20 May, 13 Loan 20 (15) 17 2 (0) 0 1 (0) 0 0 (0) 0

Chelsea 18 Aug, 11 £18,000,000 1 (9) 0 0 (1) 0 3 (0) 0 0 (1) 0

Edited by blue moon

Salah isn't a striker.

True, but that doesn't mean that he can't play as a winger/AM/strikers role. Players have to adapt ( or so it seems ) in the Chelsea squad.

I think José has answered that question for you already.

For us Shaw would have been a bad, bad deal. Maybe not for Man U - but paying a 19 year old left back who has achieved sweet FA in his career that sort of money is crazy. I think most of us realised Shaw was a special talent - but there were many here who had strong objections to his fee/wage.

I think that this is another case of Jose being Jose - saying something to get under the skin of a rival, and playing with the truth in the process. How would Shaw's wages 'wreck' the squad, unless Jose or the player tells everyone what he's being paid? Therefore, I can't see the concept of players knocking on Jose's door, demanding higher wages to match Shaw's, as anything other than a figment of Jose's, at times, vivid imagination. The alternate version of this story is that Chelsea chased Shaw until the last possible moment - even with his OTT transfer fee - and Shaw chose United over Chelsea. It happens - but Jose would see that as Shaw choosing Van Gaal over Mourinho, and that would never do. People need to be cautious taking everything Mourinho says as 'fact' - particularly during transfer windows.

I think that this is another case of Jose being Jose - saying something to get under the skin of a rival, and playing with the truth in the process. How would Shaw's wages 'wreck' the squad, unless Jose or the player tells everyone what he's being paid? Therefore, I can't see the concept of players knocking on Jose's door, demanding higher wages to match Shaw's, as anything other than a figment of Jose's, at times, vivid imagination. The alternate version of this story is that Chelsea chased Shaw until the last possible moment - even with his OTT transfer fee - and Shaw chose United over Chelsea. It happens - but Jose would see that as Shaw choosing Van Gaal over Mourinho, and that would never do. People need to be cautious taking everything Mourinho says as 'fact' - particularly during transfer windows.

Yet, there's absolutely nothing to base this on, while Shaw's mooted transfer fee and wages are absolutely mental.

So while you certainly have a point with Mourinho's loose relationship with the truth, I don't see any reason to doubt him here.

Stim   

Lets just say I don't think Hazard is earning less than Mikel, Cahill, Ivanovic or many of our 'elder' players bar Terry, Cech (maybe?) and what Lamps was on. And Torres ofc.

Edited by Stim

Lets just say I don't think Hazard is earning less than Mikel, Cahill, Ivanovic or many of our 'elder' players bar Terry, Cech (maybe?) and what Lamps was on. And Torres ofc.

Hazard was a much, much better player than Shaw. When Shaw becomes player of the year and has the entire footballing world making him offers, maybe he'd be worth those kind of wages.

And he may well become really good and be worth his money. But he might just as well stagnate and then United are paying another average player astronomical wages.

cam4blue   

Hazard was the most coveted young player in world football. Do you really think that an appropriate comparison?

Stim   

Mourinho mainly spoke about age and not ability. He should have just stuck to saying shaw isn't good enough for such money without focusing on his age then if that's a big enough factor to make Hazard not count in what he said.

‘If we pay to a 19-year-old boy what we were being asked for, for Luke Shaw, we are dead,’ said Chelsea’s manager. ‘We kill our stability with Financial Fair Play. We kill the stability in our dressing room.

‘Because when you pay that much to a 19-year-old kid — a good player, a fantastic player — the next day, me and (Chelsea director) Mrs Granovskaia and (technical director) Michael Emenalo get players knocking on our door and saying how is it possible that I play for this club 200 games and won this and that?

So I just think it backs up Michaels point about how can his wages affect other players when we sign a young (albeight highly rated) youngsters from france and make him one of the highest paid players at the club and in the league around age 22 even after a lot of players who had been here for a long time, winning multiple titles (including the CL the year before) earn far less with minimal fuss.

Assuming ofc Mourinho would have sanctioned the signing had he been here at the time.

Edited by Stim