• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Nice to see some actual sense had around the whole Lukaku situation.

I genuinely have zero issue with anything Lukaku has done, nor do I wish to see him depart the club without getting a genuine crack- particularly when over the last couple of seasons he has done better than basically anyone else we've had here during that time (Drogba aside).

Completely agree as well. Seriously surprised at how some people are so anti-Lukaku for his actions, some even saying it was his fault for asking to go on loan last season...he understands that he is at a tender age and needed game-time which he got. It was a great deal for him.

Some people wanting Lukaku out don't realize that him staying would mean less time with that shite Torres on the pitch, so we can actually play with 11 men more often.

What if Costa gets injured or suspended? Who is going to start up front? Drogba or Torres. If I have to go through another season watching Torres start up front for us it will be painful.

I really think we are just a couple signings off of having a walk of the league. My main concern would be if we let Lukaku go, having him able to come in for an injured Costa would be immense and I think would almost guarantee us the league.

Boris999    1

I'd take Lukaku as second choice in a second. He's ours, he's got his Drogba back, and frankly I don't see him breaking the team on the odd days Costa cannot play. And if he really IS so terrible we have drogs waiting to pick up the pieces until Lukaku gets back on his feet.

He's as much a risk as anyone, but the up side is much bigger than the downside. Tis all.

Edited by Boris999

Sarin    0

To be fair, he hasn't been sitting on the bench and collecting his paycheck.

I didn't say he had been.

Now at this moment, with Costa, Lukaku and Drogba here, and clearly Torres out of favour.

If he refuses a move, that is what he will be doing.

Boris999    1

I didn't say he had been.

Now at this moment, with Costa, Lukaku and Drogba here, and clearly Torres out of favour.

If he refuses a move, that is what he will be doing.

Perhaps. But then isn't this pretty much the same situation as last year?

Eto'o - the presumed first choice-ish striker Mourinho brought in.

Torres - The equal-first, second choice-ish striker we can't get rid of.

Ba - The third choice striker who may be preferred to Torres on occasion but is not around to play very often.

Lukaku - The young striker that is either seen as better than Torres (second choice) and unwilling to play that role, or seen worse than Torres and unwilling to be third choice. And in either case chose to go.

Now we have:

Costa - the presumed first choice striker Mourinho brought in.

Torres - the rotation option with the first choice striker, who's there to play games the first choice isn't able (admittedly less often because Costa is younger than Eto'o, but likely still a fair bit with a heavy schedule)

Drogba - the second/third choice striker who, even if seen as better than Torres, is probably not there to play very often.

Lukaku - The young striker that is either seen as better than Torres (second choice) and unwilling to play that role, or seen worse than Torres and unwilling to be third choice and, in either case (if he has the same decision making as last year) will be gone.

The point is, if things stay the way they are, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw roughhhhhly a similar distribution of appearances (including Lukaku going), with the slight improvement of a better - more consistently starting - first choice. If Lukaku stays that would change this, of course, but that would require him to make a different decision he has made every year so far. I would be the first to celebrate if he did.

I mean last year Lukaku likely saw Eto'o, Torres and Ba in front of him and was very aware that Eto'o was old, Torres was crap, and Ba was unreliable - and yet he lacked the confidence he could break through.

This year he faces a superior competition of Costa, Torres and Drogba - all of whom, bar Torres, are better/more formidable names than last year. Let's hope he has the confidence and determination to make a different decision but I am not expecting it.

Edited by Boris999

BlueFizz    69

My view is that if Torres goes he will go right at the close of the window - a last minute deal back to AM for example.

I have an odd inkling that we might keep Lukaku - based on nothing at all other than the fact that no one's actually bought him.

I believe the Belgians are back today - wednesday - if so, we may start getting 'messages' from Jose about intent for Courtois and Lukaku.

Holymoly    163

I have slowly come to terms that Lukaku doesn't want to be here, but before everyone starts slatting the club, I think they need to look a little closer to the players attitude and stance.

It would be a shame as I think Drogba would have taught him humility as well as made him a better player. Also it means we're going to be keeping Torres for another season....

Holymoly    163

Considering that he cost us an estimated €25m (http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/14432798), that's a lousy price for a striker that has banged them in at a spectacular rate for a young striker in a team outside of the top 4 for two seasons.

We massively over paid for him in the first place...

I never said I agreed with the areas of criticism - I also think they are a load of envious crap.

But when the eventual assessment of the Mourinho managerial career comes to be written, those will be the sticks used to beat him with, whether we agree with them or not.

But if Jose has continued success at one club for a sustained period and does it with a comparatively low cost team, then they have nothing left.

Of course the irony of it all is that we had to bring JM back 9 years after he created a team in a couple of months BECAUSE the old team finally had run its course 7 managers later.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not Torres apologist. He needs to go simply because he has begun to break even the most supportive fan with his insanely inconsistent performances and, quite simply, we - and likely his teammates, have lost the faith. But is he notably worse than Ba - who some people were quite willing to keep around as third choice? Is he notably worse, day in and day out, than 36 year old Drogba? I'm not convinced he is. There is something wrong with him, but just cannot seem to convince myself come to the conclusion that he has become a second-tier spanish league player like some suggest.

Yes Torres is noticeably worse than Ba (who was reasonably cheap too).

Compared to Drogba (6 years older) there is little difference.

It does occur to me that the only rational to bring in Drogba is as a 3rd striker, not a 2nd one. Not least because he offers us the big target option which we use when necessary.

That would mean someone else coming in for Torres as Choice No 2. One can hope.

Khobar    0

Whilst I've seen nothing specific to back up an idea of some sort of bad attitude from Lukaku, I AM reminded of Mourinhos cryptic comments regarding his loan to Everton.

That said, I'd certainly take him as 2nd choice striker and I think he would get plenty of opportunity to prove himself. But I really think there may be a problem between him and the manager.