• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Boris999   

I'm probably going to be in a very very small minority that isn't that fussed that Torres is staying.

I know he's third choice so no point getting all upset and hoping that Chelsea get rid. He's staying and thats the end of it.

Torres isn't actually that bad a player, even now, all round. It's strange to say - considering how disappointing it is to watch him - but his overall skillset is most probably still top-tier-ish. It's more that he's not a reliable goal-scorer, which is important for a striker, and that he seems to have gotten into a cycle of 'trying too hard to impress and making bad decisions on the pitch'. He is, in my opinion, an overall far better player than Lukaku (at the moment) for example - though Lukaku is a better scorer of goals, and might still improve notably. His mentality is third-choice-level though, which is exactly where I'd have him. The problem is I'm not sure I'd have Drogba as second choice. Which means we have a bit of a gap between Costa and his backups and that is the problem.

If we can't get rid of Torres, that was it, IMO.

If we can, it's time to put some of those coins on the table for Falcao/Cavani.

But will Falcao or Cavani sit on the bench, we'd be paying them 150k+ just for doing that. Maybe we should re-sign Anelka too, get the old boys back together.

ripz   

Shame that Eto'o and Mou seemed to fall out, he seemed really happy here and had a good season. Not sure what quality strikers are available for a decent price really. I think we did extremely well to get Costa in for £32m, not many other top strikers out there for under 50m. Would have been happy to keep Ba as well, seems a bargain price we let him go for and he had a good end to the season

Edited by ripz

But will Falcao or Cavani sit on the bench, we'd be paying them 150k+ just for doing that. Maybe we should re-sign Anelka too, get the old boys back together.

We're doing the same with Torres right now...

At least Falcao/Cavani would offer serious rotation and lots of goals.

Why didn't we just sell him?

My guess is Liverpool thought he was too expensive and no one else wanted to buy him.

Shame that Eto'o and Mou seemed to fall out, he seemed really happy here and had a good season. Not sure what quality strikers are available for a decent price really. I think we did extremely well to get Costa in for £32m, not many other top strikers out there for under 50m

That's debatable, IMO. He did slightly better than Torres. Not really the standard we should be looking for.

paulw66   

Remy would be a decent option I reckon. Can play wide as well as through the middle

Not very long ago Mourinho said one foreign player would need to leave given we had one more than the squad rules would accommodate.

“From the group you are expecting us to have as a squad, I have to send one away because we have one extra foreign player,”

Since then we have seen two players leave... both of whom count as association trained. So who's out of the door next, as it's clear at least one more must leave?

With our now very strong financial position with regard to actual funds as well as FFP requirements, if Mikel is the foreigner that goes could we yet see a bid for Pogba?

We're doing the same with Torres right now...

At least Falcao/Cavani would offer serious rotation and lots of goals.

My guess is Liverpool thought he was too expensive and no one else wanted to buy him.

That's debatable, IMO. He did slightly better than Torres. Not really the standard we should be looking for.

Slightly better than Torres?

Eto'o scored 9 in 21 league games

Torres scored 5 in 28

Eto'o scored 3 x vs United, 1 x Liverpool, arsenal, Tottenham, a winner vs Cardiff. All big goals in big games.

He also scored a few important CL goals. The performances of an over the hill Eto'o were better than anything Torres has done in 3 years. His link up play with Hazard at times was brilliant. Shame a 28year old Samuel isn't available right now, would be our perfect striker. He still doesn't have a club, if I was Jose I would be asking very nicely if he wants to do one more year.

Costa, Drogba, Eto'o, Torres actually isn't too bad for me. I would keep Torres purely because all three could potentially be injury risks.

For those hoping for a Torres return to Atletico, apparently Toni Kroos has just rented Torres' house in Madrid.

Remy would be a decent option I reckon. Can play wide as well as through the middle

I don't know what your stance on Drogba was, but it had better not been against his return, if you think that.

Not very long ago Mourinho said one foreign player would need to leave given we had one more than the squad rules would accommodate.

“From the group you are expecting us to have as a squad, I have to send one away because we have one extra foreign player,”

Since then we have seen two players leave... both of whom count as association trained. So who's out of the door next, as it's clear at least one more must leave?

With our now very strong financial position with regard to actual funds as well as FFP requirements, if Mikel is the foreigner that goes could we yet see a bid for Pogba?

That would be a dream. Although I'd rather replace Ramires with Pogba, than Mikel, to be honest.

Already been in for remy and pulled out due to the medical issue, nothing official but its well known it happened, apparantly he has failed a number of medicals over the years for the bigger clubs, believe the rumour is a hole in the heart.