• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Galol   

Sarin,

You should take Mourinho's pronouncements with a grain of salt. He is obviously not gonna come out and say I fumbled this case, that is not part of character. He's gonna deflect culpability. Not saying Lukaku is an angel or didn't want to go but the club and Jose have shown no inclination to give the Lukaku a fair chance. For crying out loud the club gave and continues to give Torres oodles of chances despite his ineptitude. What does that say to Lukaku and other ambitious younger players?

Now we have the farcical scenario of going into the season with a has-been (Drogba), an untested striker (Costa) and a dud (Torres). Forget winning the league or the Champions League.

Sarin,

You should take Mourinho's pronouncements with a grain of salt. He is obviously not gonna come out and say I fumbled this case, that is not part of character. He's gonna deflect culpability. Not saying Lukaku is an angel or didn't want to go but the club and Jose have shown no inclination to give the Lukaku a fair chance. For crying out loud the club gave and continues to give Torres oodles of chances despite his ineptitude. What does that say to Lukaku and other ambitious younger players?

Now we have the farcical scenario of going into the season with a has-been (Drogba), an untested striker (Costa) and a dud (Torres). Forget winning the league or the Champions League.

Nando is not, and under Jose has not been, our first choice striker. He has been used in rotation with others but Jose has confirmed that Romelu was unwilling accept a similar situation. Rom wanted to be made the same promise that the club once, stupidly, made to Nado. He wanted to be promised that he'd be first choice. Jose clearly was not willing to make that promise and I think that he was right not to do so, right both in principle and in this particular case.

The principle is well established; players should not be guaranteed a starting role, the should earn it. Having broken that principle by making promises to Nando it would be unbelievably foolish, in my opinion, if the club were to repeat that error with another striker. There are some guaranteed starters at this club but that's because their talent demands it, not because their mouth does. Opinions vary of course but, for what it's worth, mine is that Romelu's talent is not sufficient to command a place in Chelsea's first choice eleven.

Rom has made a good choice in joining a club slightly below Champions League level; a club where he will be seen as first choice and where his talent may keep him in the team. Chelsea have made a good choice in allowing him to do it.

ripz   

Ronaldinho is available on a free :D seeing as we like the retirement strikers. We'd need to get an order of zimmer frames and pies in but he'd sell a few shirts :D

Edited by ripz

Sarin   

Sarin,

You are completely right, I should just take your word for it instead ?

Lets not mention that 90% of what you post is just Anti Jose and pretty much slamming the club, I will just disregard whats reported and what the manager has says.

Not to mention what common sense would hint at, and just agree with you that Lukaku was the best thing that happened to Chelsea, he was unfairly denied any games, constantly pushed out of the team against his wishes and then forced to sign for another club.

At this rate with only players like we have we might just end up getting relegated right ? I mean, Jose is just SO AWFUL.

Faramir   

How can people complain about Lukaku leaving.

He wants to leave. Jose has come out and said that he did not want to compete, he wanted to be first choice and Jose can't give those assurances.

Last year he also demanded to leave, because again, he could not be given assurances.

You can't give chances to a player that is not at the club, and Lukaku kept demanding to not be at the club.

This is Lukaku, not Jose, not Chelsea.

Apart from telling Lukaku last year at the age of 20 that he would be first choice striker at Chelsea and start every game, what could the club have done ?

Does any club like Chelsea guarantee first team starting places to any player, let alone that young ?

Finally, after wading through two pages of depressing negativity I read some common sense on Lukaku.

Faramir   

Nando is not, and under Jose has not been, our first choice striker. He has been used in rotation with others but Jose has confirmed that Romelu was unwilling accept a similar situation. Rom wanted to be made the same promise that the club once, stupidly, made to Nado. He wanted to be promised that he'd be first choice. Jose clearly was not willing to make that promise and I think that he was right not to do so, right both in principle and in this particular case.

The principle is well established; players should not be guaranteed a starting role, the should earn it. Having broken that principle by making promises to Nando it would be unbelievably foolish, in my opinion, if the club were to repeat that error with another striker. There are some guaranteed starters at this club but that's because their talent demands it, not because their mouth does. Opinions vary of course but, for what it's worth, mine is that Romelu's talent is not sufficient to command a place in Chelsea's first choice eleven.

Rom has made a good choice in joining a club slightly below Champions League level; a club where he will be seen as first choice and where his talent may keep him in the team. Chelsea have made a good choice in allowing him to do it.

Totally agree with this.

Kezza   

More to the point, Man City have Dzeko, Aguero, Jovetic and Negredo. They seem to be able to accommodate FOUR top strikers without them clamouring for a move to another club.

So the question is why have Sturridge and Lukaku buggered off at the earliest opportunity? The answer might just lie in our obsession to play Torres regardless of his utter incompetence. It sends a clear message to a young striker that regardless of how good you are, a useless Torres will always start ahead of you.

Now we go and bring an ageing Drogba back! What sort of message is that to send to Lukaku? Really, can anyone blame Sturridge or Lukaku for not wanting to hang around?

Irks me when compared to City. Four top strikers vs our one. What really is the club thinking?

Dingus   

I am being honest - I can't see a solution. Which is exactly why I think it's crazy to sell a 21 year old, proven Premier League goal scorer that we already own!

Because that goal scorer didn't want to be at the club. Its quite simple really.

Irks me when compared to City. Four top strikers vs our one. What really is the club thinking?

Same here. I trust we'll sign another forward though.

Jose said he wanted to be first choice. And there is no way we can gurantee first choice to anyone at our club. Jose never would. But Lukaku insisted on it. And in that case, with the offer we had, it's wise to take it.

Drogba is better than people are giving him credit for IMO. Jose has said Torres attitude and work rate have been excellent.

Looks like it's those three this season. And ultimately, if we need another striker, we have money to spend.

The negativity is just shocking here. If Lukaku had the right attitude - as in come in, fight for his place, if he plays well enough he plays, probably gets rotated - then he would be here. But he didn't have this attitude. And good luck to him, but he can't come and demand to be first choice here. Costa has a far better record and experience in the CL. Drogba is more proven.

Keeping Torres isn't ideal. But if his attitude is good and he works hard for the team, and as long as he isn't first choice, then there's less of a problem - espeically with Drogba around.

Let's get behind the strikers we do have and wish them well, instead of slating the club and hammering the players we do have. Might help our team more.

Costa has been excellent so far - one goal and two assists from two games. Even Torres work rate has been good despite his miss the other day.

We are much stronger this season than last in every way. Let's be positive.

Edited by James Prescott