• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

cii99mn1   

1. Trouble is that while the market goes up, prices for individuals fall as contracts run down, and wages are a very high cost for players that are not used or not loaned to the handful of big clubs that can pay the £20k a week that our non-first team players are getting from us.

2. Our only successes have been from players who already have a first team track record or who have spent almost their entire time at Chelsea on loan (Bertrand, Bridcutt, Cork).

3. Yes - which is a bit of a handicap when so many of our young players seem to come only for the money.

1. These are challenges yes, but with such a big increase in prices for players make them easier to overcome. The new TV deal for example quite obviously helped us with Lukaku. It might be harder to achieve next time.

2. Maybe these are the ways to go then.

3. A track record of giving youth the best possible chances surely would help too. Not saying we have been perfect but it seems we have tried to take good care of most individuals.

Holymoly   

I can't really see how we can afford to keep Marin. Even without him (and assuming Atsu, Davila, Perica and Omeruo go on loan), we still have 19 to fill 17 "non-Homegrown" slots in the PL.

Cech, Courteois, Schwarzer

Luis, Azpilicueta, Ivanovic,

Ramires, Matic, Romeu, van Ginkel, Mikel

Hazard, Willian, Schurrle, Salah, Oscar,

Costa, Torres, Drogba

Two of the above will not be playing for Chelsea this season.

Another option is to juggle the league and CL squads the way we did for Essien although Jose does see us as being one player over on his Sky Sports interview

Sciatika   

^ we'll already have to do that as Zouma is U-21 for PL and non-homegrown for CL.

Frank Lampard legend, record breaker, best Chelsea player? Yes, without doubt but please don't abuse me because I have an opinion about his (and most players today) attitude to money. Remember 2008 and his silence over the Inter move? JT pulled a similar stunt when it was strongly rumoured Man City were after him. They both ended up getting very generous(deserved?) exorbitant new deals with Chelsea.

2008 and he got his five year deal at 30. I'm not saying he wasn't worth it all I'm saying is it's always about the money. Why else Man City??!

Inter Milan President, Massimo Morrati came out this week to add yet more fuel to the flames surrounding Frank Lampard at Stamford Bridge, by saying the Chelsea midfielder wants to join the Italian champions.

Morrati said that it was now just down to whether Chelsea would sanction any deal. This, of course, doesn’t look likely with the Blues absolutely set against selling their vice-captain, especially to Jose Mourinho.

Having said that, Chelsea have shown signs of softening their stance recently, with Roman Abramovich reportedly admitting that Lampard would be free to go for £20 million. This again doesn’t look likely with Inter valuing Lampard, a 30-year-old, at closer to £10 million. Something that seems perfectly reasonable for a player who is in the last year of his contract.

On the other side of this story is Lampard and Chelsea’s contract “negotiations”. To me it looks more like an arm wrestling match, with the loser seen as weak, and more crucially, unpopular with the fans.

Both sides are in a sticky situation, if Peter Kenyon doesn’t give Lampard the five-year contract he thinks he deserves for his loyal service, Kenyon and the board will lose yet more credibility with the fans for pushing out one of the clubs star assets.

But on the other hand, Lampard’s insistence on a five-year deal is starting to smell of greed. After all, a four-year contract for a 30-year-old is a very good offer. Lampard himself faces the possibility of venom from supporters if he doesn’t put pen to paper, his loyalty is already being questioned, and he and his agent’s constant flirting with Inter isn’t helping.

The most crucial aspect of this saga is just like everything else; something that hasn’t been done. Frank Lampard has not himself, looked into a camera and said what he wants. We know Chelsea want to hold on to him, at least for a year, and we know Lampard’s agent wants as much money as he can get, be it five-years at Chelsea, or in Milan with Mourinho.

But what every Chelsea fan wants to hear, no matter what he says, is for Lampard to make his feelings clear. If he said he wanted to leave, it would be understood he wants a new challenge, and Chelsea fans would wave him into the sunset with fond memories of a great servant.

This continued silence is disrespectful to the people who pay his wages and idolise him. As long as Lampard hides behind the excuse of wanting a longer contract, Chelsea fans will turn against him. I can assure you, in a small minority, it is already happening.

If he were to stay silent, and let this stalemate continue into next season before announcing he’d signed a contract with Inter in January, it wouldn’t be welcome on the terraces.

Football fans are fickle creatures, and suddenly Lampard could find Stamford Bridge very similar to Upton Park, where he gets a less than cheerful welcome, and nobody wants that to happen to a Chelsea legend like Lampard .

2. Maybe these are the ways to go then.

3. A track record of giving youth the best possible chances surely would help too. Not saying we have been perfect but it seems we have tried to take good care of most individuals.

2. If you mean just buy players with established first team reputations entirely agree. Not least because they are already so well known that we only have to outbid other clubs by 5 or 10% to get them, making them a lot cheaper than the unknown kids with agents who see us coming.

3. You think so? No one really has been given a chance except Bertrand, and he had been on many loans before (and since).

Other than paying players £10k a week more than they would get elsewhere, and accumulating so many competent U21s that we regularly win the cups, I can't see what we have offered the players that weren't bought straight for the first team.

Codger   

Football fans are fickle creatures, and suddenly Lampard could find Stamford Bridge very similar to Upton Park, where he gets a less than cheerful welcome, and nobody wants that to happen to a Chelsea legend like Lampard .

Shouldn't you have quoted the source for this drivel?

For a start, it's six years old. It's not relevant now, and arguably wasn't when someone - was it you? - wasted their time writing and publishing it.

Edited by Codger

Frank Lampard legend, record breaker, best Chelsea player? Yes, without doubt but please don't abuse me because I have an opinion about his (and most players today) attitude to money. Remember 2008 and his silence over the Inter move? JT pulled a similar stunt when it was strongly rumoured Man City were after him. They both ended up getting very generous(deserved?) exorbitant new deals with Chelsea.

2008 and he got his five year deal at 30. I'm not saying he wasn't worth it all I'm saying is it's always about the money. Why else Man City??!

Because City part own his new club, New York City, and so could veto any loan they didn't want.

Khobar   

Inter Milan President, Massimo Morrati came out this week to add yet more fuel to the flames surrounding Frank Lampard at Stamford Bridge, by saying the Chelsea midfielder wants to join the Italian champions.

Morrati said that it was now just down to whether Chelsea would sanction any deal. This, of course, doesnt look likely with the Blues absolutely set against selling their vice-captain, especially to Jose Mourinho.

Having said that, Chelsea have shown signs of softening their stance recently, with Roman Abramovich reportedly admitting that Lampard would be free to go for £20 million. This again doesnt look likely with Inter valuing Lampard, a 30-year-old, at closer to £10 million. Something that seems perfectly reasonable for a player who is in the last year of his contract.

On the other side of this story is Lampard and Chelseas contract negotiations. To me it looks more like an arm wrestling match, with the loser seen as weak, and more crucially, unpopular with the fans.

Both sides are in a sticky situation, if Peter Kenyon doesnt give Lampard the five-year contract he thinks he deserves for his loyal service, Kenyon and the board will lose yet more credibility with the fans for pushing out one of the clubs star assets.

But on the other hand, Lampards insistence on a five-year deal is starting to smell of greed. After all, a four-year contract for a 30-year-old is a very good offer. Lampard himself faces the possibility of venom from supporters if he doesnt put pen to paper, his loyalty is already being questioned, and he and his agents constant flirting with Inter isn't helping.

The most crucial aspect of this saga is just like everything else; something that hasnt been done. Frank Lampard has not himself, looked into a camera and said what he wants. We know Chelsea want to hold on to him, at least for a year, and we know Lampards agent wants as much money as he can get, be it five-years at Chelsea, or in Milan with Mourinho.

But what every Chelsea fan wants to hear, no matter what he says, is for Lampard to make his feelings clear. If he said he wanted to leave, it would be understood he wants a new challenge, and Chelsea fans would wave him into the sunset with fond memories of a great servant.

This continued silence is disrespectful to the people who pay his wages and idolise him. As long as Lampard hides behind the excuse of wanting a longer contract, Chelsea fans will turn against him. I can assure you, in a small minority, it is already happening.

If he were to stay silent, and let this stalemate continue into next season before announcing hed signed a contract with Inter in January, it wouldnt be welcome on the terraces.

I'm assuming this is a newspaper report? Certainly ridiculous enough. I think you may have more of a problem with player wages in general and Lampards in particular, so why single Frank out with ancient press clippings.

Of COURSE players ( and their agents) will try and get the best deal possible for the longest term possible - don't all of us? When I get a better job offer, I invariably move on regardless of my affection for the company and co-workers. And why shouldn't Lampard play for City for 6 months if it's to his advantage - either financially or from a playing point of view? We didn't wish to keep him did we? Maybe he'll learn some important lessons from City and NYC before returning to Chelsea as a coach? Who knows.

I'm pretty sure that if he lined up against us for City next season he would still receive the rapturous welcome he deserves. Even if he scores.

Would be genuinely gutted to see Shurrle go if this is true.

me too, last season IMO he was the only player making intelligent runs