• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Hallelujah Michael.

Spot on. If you're an instinctive finisher it shouldn't matter what division you're in and in fact you should get far more opportunities to score at Chelsea than elsewhere.

People pushing for Bamford because he is a good finisher and yet there was a queue stretching around the block of people saying that Lukaku wasn't good enough for Chelsea? Yet Lukaku was Premier League proven.

For Bamford to be 2nd striker it would mean that we would be reasonably happy if he has to step in and cover for Costa for any reason. Well he still looks like a skinny lad who won't have anywhere near the physical capability to lead the line on his own. He may have talent but I feel he needs to bulk up and complete a full season scoring goals regularly at Championship/Premier League level before we start labelling him a potential 2nd striker.

If Lukaku wasn't considered worthy of a chance his credentials were a lot further advanced than Bamford.

paulw66   

I completely disagree with this.

Not trying to knock Bamford - he IS an instinctive finisher and because of that fact I think he might have a future here.

But his all-round game is way off at the minute. We as fans should know how important that is. Just look at the difference Costa has made to our game so far.

I do think that he can be our 3rd striker down the line when he's got some more experience and perhaps is a tad more well rounded. If we chuck him in now I fear we'll do more harm than good for him. A PL loan would be optimal but I fear that might be to soon as well. Perhaps a initial Championship loan with a possible PL loan after Christmas?

Bang on. It's not all about goals, it is the link up play with the players around him. The system we play requires the striker to be able to hold the ball up against strong defenders and bring the AMs into play. I am not sure Bamford is ready for that yet, despite scoring goals last year.

Khobar   

I agree with all the 'not yet' comments on Bamford. His time right now is better spent honing his skills at a club a few levels below Chelsea - top Championship or any level of Premiership side. Better his hard lessons are learned away from our first team. Also repeating what others have said, there's more to the role than being a good finisher - we need someone who can lead the line. Right now, even Torres is a better bet than Bamford. From his point of view, there are opportunities ahead if he delivers as Drogba can't last forever and Torres is on borrowed time. If he's then willing to come in as 3rd choice for a season (unlike Lukaku) then the game time will come.

Staying as 3/4th choice with maybe a few minutes in the cups won't be any good to him.

Kezza   

I don't get the Bamford hoo ha. Is Michael related to Bamford or something. Honestly he comes on everytime Bamford is mentioned and gives a long list of justifications why Bamford should play. Why isn't he championing any of the other youngsters. You telling us Bamford is suddenly miles ahead of all of them? Brightest gem of the lot? There are many youngsters who deserve a shot before Bamford. Atsu for example?

Edited by Kezza

paulw66   

I don't get the Bamford hoo ha. Is Michael related to Bamford or something. Honestly he comes on everytime Bamford is mentioned and gives a long list of justifications why Bamford should play. Why isn't he championing any of the other youngsters. You telling us Bamford is suddenly miles ahead of all of them? Brightest gem of the lot? There are many youngsters who deserve a shot before Bamford. Atsu for example?

The huge difference between Bamford and others is the position he plays. Atsu is behind Hazard, Schurrle, Willian and Salah for one of the wide roles, whereas Bamford only really has one top player ahead of him for the CF role. I don't see Bamford as the answer this season, but you can see why people are championing him to be 3rd choice after 3 1/2 years of watching Torres continue to fail.

Edit - all of our other promising youngsters, Baker, Chalobah, Boga etc, play in areas we are well stocked.

Edited by paulw66

Boris999   

Pretty much.

The backup striker spot is pretty much up for 'easy' grabs right now at Chelsea. At least in theory.

In practice it may be that in Mourinho's head it's more like:

1. Costa

2. Drogba/Torres

3. A huge number of miscallaneous midfield/wing/support striker players such as Schurrle/Hazard/Fabregas who might make a half-baked striker on a rough day, but are 'proven' overall contributors to a top team.
4. 'Unproven' players like Bamford.

Remember, we didn't win anything last season - I don't think Mourinho is going to be too lenient on unproven until we get a trophy or two - he isn't the type to go two years without a trophy (which I'm glad for!)

Edited by Boris999

Sciatika   

For me, Schurrle is currently fourth choice behind Costa, Drogba and Torres with Ivanovic probably next.

The thing when looking at Bamford is people should think about what he can bring to the team rather than how can he fit into the team. By this you have got to look at his all round game and when looking at this I think most will say he has excellent finishing skills but lacks in physicality to hold the ball up and his link work needs improving. As a result, the two things he needs to improve most "can" be improved on in the gym and in training and does not necessarily need improving through playing (although it would be preferable). It is his finishing skills that I think will interest Jose and what may be what has lead him to not sanction a loan for him yet as for me if Bamford stays he won't be asked to ever "lead the line" but will be used as someone to sit in the oppositions penalty box and try and finish off what ever half chance may come his way (think of Pipo Inzaghi/Van Nistlerooy etc), which I can see a use for against teams that sit deep and pack 10 players behind the ball as he has shown that he has the potential to finish off difficult half chances. So for me, Bamford may be seen as a bench option to throw on with 20/15 mins to go to try and sneak a goal but for the expense of one of the AM and not Costa, as Cesc would have to push on a little further. That said, I am torn on him staying as although I can see his use to this side especially with his HG status, I do think a PL loan where he would get 15+ games a season may be better for him in order for him to get experience, either way I trust the club to make the right decision.

Sea foot   

with Ivanovic probably next.

Made me smile that!

Blimey, steady on dear boy. Be careful with assumptions and misrepresentations like the bit in bold - I don't believe MT has said anything like that. Paul goes on to answer the 'hoo ha' very well.