• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Welbeck certainly isn't the greatest goal scorer in the world but as a second choice could be quite handy. He wouldn't play all that regularly and would be HG. This means we could add him to the squad with no outgoings. Torres cannot be shipped so if you were to say it's either stay as we are or add Welbeck for 10mill I would definitely consider that. There's not many reasonably priced HG options and he could be a decent squad player for relative peanuts. I'm concerned about Drogba as second choice due to his fitness more than anything. Basically anybody but Torres.

Sarin   

Welbeck is a Spurs type player.

Not good enough for a top club, probably too good for a bottom of league club, is decent at what he does, without really being good at it.

According to lots of people here, there is a big difference between scoring goals anywhere other than the Premier League. However, that doesn't stop those same people saying we should buy this one, or that one, from other leagues. Nor does it stop the club (or any other club) buying players unproven in the Premier League. Some succeed; some don't. I'm just interested that whenever we talk about players we have, they're never good enough, or need to prove themselves elsewhere - and then when they do, their achievements get written-off because they weren't in the Prem. They simply can't win.

Bamford scored goals in League One, and in the Championship. He's English. He's shown himself to be an instinctive, natural goal scorer. We already own him. Therefore, he can't be good enough. And seriously, some of the names being bandied-around here make me laugh, when we write off one of our own without ever testing him at this level.

Agree with this. I remember the reaction from some fans about Cahill. Why? Because he played for Bolton.BOLTON!!! Well, he can't be any good then, can he?

When are fans going to learn that this is not some computer game? Probably never.

Harvz   

We should just hijack Liverpool's Balotelli deal, if just to see the scousers reactions.

And loan him to Everton.

Flinkers   

TBH, If we're going for a squad striker that's home grown and has a good goal scoring record, I'd look at hijacking Hull's deal for Jordan Rhodes before trying for Welbeck.

Then again I'd have given Bamford a shot at third striker, like he seems to have thought had been intimated to him in his end of year interview with the Guardian, rather than resigning Drogba.

Agree with this. I remember the reaction from some fans about Cahill. Why? Because he played for Bolton.BOLTON!!! Well, he can't be any good then, can he?

When are fans going to learn that this is not some computer game? Probably never.

If Bamford had played for Bolton and had been performing as well as Cahill had for that team he would have more chance of moving up our pecking order, fact is he hasn't and he hasn't had any loan comparable?!

As for computer games, clubs seem to be taking a different stance

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/11/football-manager-computer-game-premier-league-clubs-buy-players

Edited by nutmegsw6

I was thinking Lee Frost or, especially, Gary Johnson and his perm. Probably not Trevor Aylott though (or HIS perm).

Players that some choose to overlook and then wonder why some of us aren't so enthusiastic about the latest shiny penny that turns up.

Watching BT, Fletch & Sav show, and all the invited pundits on the show have said Balotelli is a huge risk signing for Liverpool. However 67% of phone votes say it is a good signing, so what can we deduce from that...................scousers, on free weekend calls, are jamming the phone lines.............,though to be fair two of the pundits Owen and McMannaman were not that enthused, could it be the big personality brigade that really aren't interested in anything other than the controversial headline grabbing cartoon-character that Balotelli is and love the idea of the circus coming to town.

Edited by nutmegsw6

Ham   

Watching BT, Fletch & Sav show, and all the invited pundits on the show have said Balotelli is a huge risk signing for Liverpool. However 67% of phone votes say it is a good signing, so what can we deduce from that...................scousers, on free weekend calls, are jamming the phone lines.

I think you might be on to something. They will always try to justify any decision their club makes. There were even fans who said "good riddance" to suarez because biting for a third time was unpalatable whereas the decision to stand by him for the second biting incident was also correct.