• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Stim   

Yeah most of us would probably do the same as Torres in his position. I probably would. Would make more in 2 years here than 10 anywhere else. Won't add anything to his legacy anywhere else either.

Btw what article is this based on? Were there quotes or are people just guessing as usual? All well and good to have a Torres bashing again but is there actual substance to the story?

Edited by Stim

First of all I think you've got your numbers all mixed up. Wildly exaggerated. I'm not so sure. You're welcome to prove me wrong, though.

Balotelli moved from City to Milan and you think he went from £100k+ to around £25k? No - not a chance. That's not what I said.

How much you think Ibra and Tiago made at AC Milan? De Rossi and Totti at Roma? I have no idea, afaik, Italy has cut back on it's spending, so I'm not even sure how relevant those numbers are. I know Balotelli is supposedly on 4,5m Euros.

And that is less than 3,6m pounds. Torres is on 9,1m.

And that's the absolute highest wage I could find in Italy. Vidal and Buffon are supposedly on 4m, Pirlo 3,5m and it goes quickly downhill from there, once you're past the absolute biggest names.

So while I may be slightly off, you're going to have to find a lot of bigger numbers to make my statement "wildly exaggerated".

paulw66   

Torres has won the world cup, the Euros twice, the champions league and the Europa league.... What more does he want to go and achieve? If he and his family are happy living in London whilst he earns a kings ransom, why move? Just to please us? At the age of 30, he isn't going to relaunch his career. He knows as well as we do that he is a busted flush.

The fault lies with whoever sanctioned the 50m transfer and the 5 1/2 year contract on ludicrous money.

Bison   

Torres has won the world cup, the Euros twice, the champions league and the Europa league.... What more does he want to go and achieve? If he and his family are happy living in London whilst he earns a kings ransom, why move? Just to please us? At the age of 30, he isn't going to relaunch his career. He knows as well as we do that he is a busted flush.

The fault lies with whoever sanctioned the 50m transfer and the 5 1/2 year contract on ludicrous money.

That's gone but the real fault now is not improving because he's still here. If he doesn't want to move on then that's his choice, don't register/play him at all. Just buy a new striker and move on with Costa, Drogba etc.

Why are we allowing him to hold up improvements to the squad?

First of all I think you've got your numbers all mixed up. Wildly exaggerated. I'm not so sure. You're welcome to prove me wrong, though.

Balotelli moved from City to Milan and you think he went from £100k+ to around £25k? No - not a chance. That's not what I said.

How much you think Ibra and Tiago made at AC Milan? De Rossi and Totti at Roma? I have no idea, afaik, Italy has cut back on it's spending, so I'm not even sure how relevant those numbers are. I know Balotelli is supposedly on 4,5m Euros.

And that is less than 3,6m pounds. Torres is on 9,1m.

And that's the absolute highest wage I could find in Italy. Vidal and Buffon are supposedly on 4m, Pirlo 3,5m and it goes quickly downhill from there, once you're past the absolute biggest names.

So while I may be slightly off, you're going to have to find a lot of bigger numbers to make my statement "wildly exaggerated".

So if Balotelli didn't have to endure the low wages in Italy then why use it as an example? Sure, Torres probably doesn't deserve even £25k but if there are players making £100k+ in Italy then I think your argument was a bit off to begin with.

Yes - wages in England are higher. But you made it sound like no players in Italy make a good living even compared to England.

Torres may have medals and trophies but as things stand he'll probably be best remembered by most for being the worst transfer in EPL history.

Sad that. I even think his game would suit the Italian league if he were just a bit more ambitious. As is, he's become the football version of Father Stone (for any Father Ted fans out there!)

Oh Fernando, go on, go on, go on (your way)

So if Balotelli didn't have to endure the low wages in Italy then why use it as an example? Sure, Torres probably doesn't deserve even £25k but if there are players making £100k+ in Italy then I think your argument was a bit off to begin with.

Yes - wages in England are higher. But you made it sound like no players in Italy make a good living even compared to England.

Balotelli did have to endure the low wages. He was (one of) the best paid player(s) and still took a pay cut, if your 100k pounds a week at City are correct.

He got 70k pounds a week at Milan (4,5m Euros pa).

I don't think there are players on 100k+ a week over there. That would be 5,2m pounds a year, or 6,5m Euros.

And I believe my point was that Torres would have to take a significant pay cut (if he got the absolute max wages, around two thirds).

Jay Seal   

Sad that. I even think his game would suit the Italian league if he were just a bit more ambitious. As is, he's become the football version of Father Stone (for any Father Ted fans out there!)

Don't ruin Father Stone... Still, any ideas how much golf Torres plays?

Kezza   

This persistent bashing of Torres while he still is our player is getting tiresome. Aren't you all a bit bored by now? Also Jose doesn't seem to think like all of you. Jose wanted him to stay as far as I can tell even just as a back up. This painful picking on your own relentlessly needs to tone down.

cam4blue   

Also Jose doesn't seem to think like all of you. Jose wanted him to stay

Doubt it.

We would happily have let him go; but no-one wants him.