• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

I think some posters here do not even know how good Marco Reus is - the best attacking player in the German national team.

I'll take your word for it, although I've not been as impressed as you have (maybe because I haven't watched him as closely?) - but seriously, it doesn't matter how good a player is, if he's always getting injured. Since before the World Cup, Reus has pretty much been on the sideline more than he's been on the field. Why pay serious money for a guy in that condition, when we already have young fellas like Thorgan Hazard (and others) waiting in the (ahem!) 'wings"? We have an abundance of attacking talent in the squad, and out on loan. We simply don't need Reus.

Maybe some posters are just overrating him?

Not that it matters, I expect we're more likely to see Bertrand Traore or Thorgan Hazard at Chelsea next year, anyway.

PS: Even Kakuta is showing signs of life. May be too little, too late, but should he suddenly realise his potential, he'd be some player to have.

Thorgsn hazard is my sneaking suspicion to replace Salah

Reus is a top 5-6 attacking player in the world. He’s slightly better than Hazard offensively (in terms of end product and actual shooting and tracking back quite well). Set-pieces delivery is on par with Fabregas.
He works hard without the ball - Klopp uses the ‘full press’ method to recover the ball - with pace, power, and directness. He'll take us to the next level - I just don't want it to be at the expense of Schurrle or Willian both whom I quite like.

Sorry, but this just isn't true. I grew up in Germany, follow the Bundesliga, and while it's true that Reus is a very good player, he isn't as good as Hazard in any way. Not even worth discussing. When it comes to Oscar, he scores more than Oscar, but his workrate is lower and he fades away during games. Can't see Reus pulling off interceptions like Oscar did against Arsenal. The only spot I can see him taking permanently is the RW - but even then he is injured so often that he is bound to struggle against tough opposition in the Premier League.

I'd say if we could get him for €20m, then we should go for it, because that's what we paid for Schürrle and Reus is definitely better than him and would provide more depth for our attacking line up when he's fit. We can't plan for him as a regular starter though - hence paying more than this would be risky.

Khobar   

Reus missed the World Cup through injury. He then missed 7 weeks of this season through injury. He's now out again until sometime in January. All to similar injuries. The guy is injury-prone, and to pay 25 mill for a player with that record, would seem to me to be plain silly, no matter how good he may (or may not) be when fit. Particularly as we don't actually need him. On this occasion, I think that Mourinho is telling the truth - we're not going to buy him.

And yet so many people said we were mad to sell Sturridge.

I agree though, not worth the risk and he would expect to be a regular first choice. Wesley Schneider would be an interesting option though.

Khobar   

I'd be happy with that - and Salah on loan to discover some form.

Sorry, but this just isn't true. I grew up in Germany, follow the Bundesliga, and while it's true that Reus is a very good player, he isn't as good as Hazard in any way. Not even worth discussing. When it comes to Oscar, he scores more than Oscar, but his workrate is lower and he fades away during games. Can't see Reus pulling off interceptions like Oscar did against Arsenal. The only spot I can see him taking permanently is the RW - but even then he is injured so often that he is bound to struggle against tough opposition in the Premier League.

I'd say if we could get him for €20m, then we should go for it, because that's what we paid for Schürrle and Reus is definitely better than him and would provide more depth for our attacking line up when he's fit. We can't plan for him as a regular starter though - hence paying more than this would be risky.

I really agree with this.

I don't know, Salah is facing a bigger challenge than most imports, in that he has to adapt to EPL life, but also came from quite an inferior league. At just 22 and not even a year at Chelsea, I think he should still be given the benefit of the doubt.

He hasn't looked too bad so far, after all.

But then I'd be more interested in expanding the department behind the striker. 3 starters, Schurrle, who'll never be more than a sub, and Salah, who's got some developing to do, isn't a great line-up. The drop in quality between 1st and 2nd choice is just too big.

For me salah looks a one trick pony, and hasnt looked like improving, with hindsight we probably should of let the mickeys sign him, 5th in line to a starting spot and seemingly not giving jose enough to think about in training am kinda expecting something to happen in jan in the attacking 3 positions, thinking salah off on loan or sold then someone else either coming back from loan or being bought in to cover him, I think he is another marin style signing brought in to keep the numbers up and if we get lucky becoming a usable squad player that can contribute goals assists to the cause.

For me salah looks a one trick pony, and hasnt looked like improving, with hindsight we probably should of let the mickeys sign him, 5th in line to a starting spot and seemingly not giving jose enough to think about in training am kinda expecting something to happen in jan in the attacking 3 positions, thinking salah off on loan or sold then someone else either coming back from loan or being bought in to cover him, I think he is another marin style signing brought in to keep the numbers up and if we get lucky becoming a usable squad player that can contribute goals assists to the cause.

Surely the numbers need increasing come January. Moses or Thorgan back, or maybe a real purchase.

Anyone have an idea if Traore is doing well enough to be considered yet?

According to Mourinho Traore would be in the first team if he could get work permit.

Yeah but that was the summer wasn't it? He'd need to be standing out at Vitesse to be at that level now. And he'd need to do that to get a visa too.

I see he seems to be starting every game and coming off after about 65 mins (which is fine given he is just 19), But I don't hear the kind of noise you'd get if he was really banging on the cobham door.