• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Dingus   

So in all, the transfer window is looking like it is going to be as follows so far:

Conformed (or almost)

Out: Cech - £11m, Drogba - Free

In : Traore - Loan Return

Probable Transfers:

In: Falcao - £5m plus wages (Loan)

Possible:

In: Song - £5m, Begovic or Green (£10-3m)

For me I want to know what is going on, as at the moment we have been seriously weakening our squad since January. Firstly, we have lost numbers, secondarily we are continuously linked with mid-table players, Song, Green etc, whilst now we are directly strengthening direct rivals. As others have said, Cech had a contract and we should've kept him to it. We should have insisted that Arsenal play ball and send a player over, as in the instance that the did not we could've played it as they did not value him enough. Seriously, if we continue down this path, I.e. Falcao>Drogba, Cech>Green, Song>Mikel, I really want to know what is going on as none of those are significant upgrades. As for Traore, yeah its great he has a work permit, it's just a shame he isn't good enough to play for us at the moment and at best will be Capital One Cup material.

Falcao will be an upgrade on Drogba-whatever stance you have on it all.

Why would we "upgrade" Cech when we did that last season with Courtois? What we need is a goalie that is happy being as a no.2-something Cech clearly wasn't happy with.

Song > Mikel - would be happy with Mikel staying or if he goes, Song coming in if the rumours are true-neither are getting in ahead of Matic or Cesc.

Has anyone actually considered that Cech wanted to leave? Not at any point has anyone at Chelsea said they wanted Cech to leave-in fact it's been the exact opposite. It's not always the clubs fault if a player doesn't want to fight for his place and wishes to get first team football elsewhere.

I will say it again: Drogba was better last season than Falcao and to say Falcao will be an upgrade this season is not a certainty.

Why would we "upgrade" Cech when we did that last season with Courtois? What we need is a goalie that is happy being as a no.2-something Cech clearly wasn't happy with.

Song > Mikel - would be happy with Mikel staying or if he goes, Song coming in if the rumours are true-neither are getting in ahead of Matic or Cesc.

Has anyone actually considered that Cech wanted to leave? Not at any point has anyone at Chelsea said they wanted Cech to leave-in fact it's been the exact opposite. It's not always the clubs fault if a player doesn't want to fight for his place and wishes to get first team football elsewhere.

I'm not sure how Cech could fight for his place.

There are as many here who believe he is better than Courtois as those who think Courtois is the better keeper. I'm sure in training Cech is as good as Courtois. When Cech did play, he showed he was as good as Courtois. However, the manager has decided that Courtois is his number one, now and for the foreseeable future. Other than some cup games, all Cech could hope for is that Courtois got injured.

Chel_don   

Cech is not a starting 11 player in our team. Selling him makes sense, its either we sell him this year or lose him on a free next year. Cech is 33 and to be honest I dont think he will be a top player once he hits 37/38. I think he only has a few top years in him. A bit surprised the club did not drag the transfer for longer but I guess Jose wants to get it over and done with and move forward. I can't say I am going to miss Cech as I do prefer Courtois a lot more but I do think he has declined quite a bit mostly cause of the injury. I dont think he is going to transform Arsenal the way people think he is. Arsenal still have problems deeper than Cech they need to sort out. The first of their problems they need to sort out is becoming a team that can play consistently well from August till May.

I will say it again: Drogba was better last season than Falcao and to say Falcao will be an upgrade this season is not a certainty.

Yep ... And most of the time Drogba was, imo, pretty awful. I'm definitely not going to agree to disagree on Falcao on that level. Far from convinced that he's at the level even a third choice striker would need to be.

That said, it's really early days. No need for anyone to be getting too upset at our transfers so far, sentiment aside.

My main problem is that we do not have enough quality in depth and at the moment we are pissing about with sub-standard players. So yeah, ok maybe Falcao is better than Drogba . However, that is not a major improvement if we go on last season. Song for me is a waste of time, why exactly buy him? To replace Mikel? Why exactly? Mikel hardly played last season and if he comes in, neither will Song as he isn't close to Matic or Cesc. In regards to midfield, I don't know why we don't go after a player of actual quality they may help us when we actually need it, say a Schneiderlin or a Schweinsteiger (Pogba looks to be out of the question and too expensive) and then promote RLC to the actual first team, rather than dicking about with replacing one player who hardly plays with another, especially as the current player has a much better attitude. Ok, maybe we couldn't keep Cech, but why let him go to Arsenal? People are making out as if we had no choice, which may be true as he has been a good servant, however let me put it this way if it was the other way around what do you think Arsenal would do, let him rot, tell him he can rot or go to PSG or let us have him for £11m? I know what I think.

So in all:

1. Falcao for Drogba is ok (if not the most sensible financial move) if it works out that he comes in as the third choice and we keep both Remy and Costa a little more fit.
  2. Don't see the point in Song in for Mikel, the only point I see is that Song will play just as much as Mikel, so it might be handy to have him HG player in that role. However, that said, when a Barca or Bayern turn up Mikel is a much more useful player to have knocking about than Song, whilst Song's attitude is questionable and we have so few players at the moment I doubt HG rules are going to be relevant especially if Cech's replace qualifies.
  3. I'll accept that Cech for anyone is going to be a downgrade, but to sell him to Arsenal is lunacy.

We desperately need more quality and numbers but all we seem to be doing, at best, is tinkering with the players in the squad that do not play much with questionable players and strengthening a direct rival.

Edited by sebcfc

My main problem is that we do not have enough quality in depth and at the moment we are pissing about with sub-standard players.

We've bought literally nobody, so your main problem is that papers are linking us to players you don't rate. That's as far as it extends at this time.

We've bought literally nobody, so your main problem is that papers are linking us to players you don't rate. That's as far as it extends at this time.

True, I'll admit I am probably over reacting to the Cech deal (which does look likely). However, after the Cuadrado fiasco in which whoever scouted him was obviously blind, all these links to said players is concerning me.

Edited by sebcfc

Olusisi   

The problems I have with some of this players we are rumoured to be after is not so much the quality of such players but Jose's will to play such players that don't have the talent to challenge with the guys in the starting eleven and if last season is anything to go by, they would just make pointless signings as Jose would hardly play them.

Last season showed that our star players played almost all the games irrespective of their form and only had games off through suspensions and injuries, if we aspire to challenge for both the champions league and the league next season, then Jose has to either start trusting the squad players for rotation or just go out and get more stars as our already small squad of last season, looked smaller with Jose's refusal to play certain players.