• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Torres is in form, has confidence and, is looking good (in a year that he'll want to make the world cup squad) - no worries here - not too many strikers I'd swap him with.

Eto - probably a perfect backup striker to Torres. Imagine he'll want to prove a point and work for Mourinho.

Ba - probably a good alternative number 3 for us. Ba may get upset at being number 3 however, the club are in a position not to worry.. Even if Ba did decide not to play we have the false number 9 option and Schurlle...

If Lukaku had stayed Mourinho would've probably put him as our number 3 at this point in time after Torres and Eto.. I think the fact that we let him go shows that the club values Lukaku and doesn't want to upset him by not giving him any playing time...

People go on about Ba scoring at Newcastle, Lukaku at West Brom etc etc without realising that we haven't been setup to play with a prolific goal scorer for the last few seasons - Drogba was an exception because he demanded service unlike any other player I've seen play and he was often paired with another striker (false winger) type of player in Anelka or Kalou. A stiker in the current Chelsea formation is only expected to score on par with our attacking midfielders.. They're there to pull the defenders about to create chances.. We're not a Man U whipping balls in for a player to get on the end of and there are no longer through balls predominantly focused for 1 stiker to run onto... This is why Ba, Torres and Lukaku wouldn't score as many goals as they would at West Brom, Newcastle etc etc...

Flinkers   

If Lukaku goes the only thing he will have achieved in his first 3 seasons is costing us the super cup.

In fairness, Ramires getting himself sent off, a European referee who called any contact by us a foul and overly defensive tactics in the last 10 minutes of the game cost us the Super Cup before Lukaku missed his penalty.

Holymoly   

In the cold light of day I tired of reading the last ten pages of emotional drivel driven by the anti Chelsea media seeking to destabilise the club. Unfortunately too many of us bought into it. Bottom line, what happened yesterday.

1. A load of kids were shipped out on loan for experience.

2. Moses sent to Liverpool as he is surplus to requirements

3. Mata still at SB. Was probably not the remotest chance of anything else but hey don't let that stop a good tabloid rumour.

4. Lukaku sent to Everton for another year's apprenticeship. He's 20 years old and number three in the pecking order of 4 strikers. Rather than spend 80+% of the season on the bench he's going to get game time at a half decent club playing attractive football and probably improve. A bit like Courtois, he will probably come back the finished article ready to slot straight into the first team. Playing for Chelsea and the type of games we play is not the same as playing nothing matches for WBA or Everton. The way he took his penalty against Bayern showed that he was phased by the occasion. He was hesitant and lacked the conviction of his beliefs. When he comes back, a year older, he will have matured that little bit more.

In the meantime if it all goes tits up by Christmas and we need another striker then we can revisit the decision.

5. No players in because WE DID OUR BUSINESS EARLY!

Elsewhere? Arsenal got a good player in Ozil but they need more than just him.

Spuds? A handful of pros to replace Bale but on last weekend's evidence they lack the gamewinning factor Bale gave them.

City did the same as us, did their business early and are settled. Remains to be seen if Pellagrini can mould them into a team in season one.

United, the new Arsenal? Knocked back on every deal, total fail with the Herrera negotiation and they end up with an overpriced toilet brush.

Seriously, we come out of this transfer window smelling or roses and in a far stronger position than our rivals.

todongo   

Torres is in form, has confidence and, is looking good (in a year that he'll want to make the world cup squad) - no worries here - not too many strikers I'd swap him with.

Eto - probably a perfect backup striker to Torres. Imagine he'll want to prove a point and work for Mourinho.

Ba - probably a good alternative number 3 for us. Ba may get upset at being number 3 however, the club are in a position not to worry.. Even if Ba did decide not to play we have the false number 9 option and Schurlle...

If Lukaku had stayed Mourinho would've probably put him as our number 3 at this point in time after Torres and Eto.. I think the fact that we let him go shows that the club values Lukaku and doesn't want to upset him by not giving him any playing time...

People go on about Ba scoring at Newcastle, Lukaku at West Brom etc etc without realising that we haven't been setup to play with a prolific goal scorer for the last few seasons - Drogba was an exception because he demanded service unlike any other player I've seen play and he was often paired with another striker (false winger) type of player in Anelka or Kalou. A stiker in the current Chelsea formation is only expected to score on par with our attacking midfielders.. They're there to pull the defenders about to create chances.. We're not a Man U whipping balls in for a player to get on the end of and there are no longer through balls predominantly focused for 1 stiker to run onto... This is why Ba, Torres and Lukaku wouldn't score as many goals as they would at West Brom, Newcastle etc etc...

Chelsea "not set up to play with a prolific goalscorer?" only there to pull defenders out of position? don't whip balls into the box?

guess that makes things a little simpler for the opposition.

so, I'm guessing we should continue to see Chelsea play slow football in 2nd gear and none of the strikers will get 20 goals. No plan B, no change of tempo on attacks? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by todongo

Khobar   

Chelsea "not set up to play with a prolific goalscorer?" only there to pull defenders out of position? don't whip balls into the box?

so, I'm guessing we should continue to see Chelsea play slow football in 2nd gear and none of the strikers will get 20 goals. No plan B, no change of tempo on attacks? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorted, he's asleep. If anyone wakes him up they get a thick ear, right?

Zoowraa   

In the cold light of day I tired of reading the last ten pages of emotional drivel driven by the anti Chelsea media seeking to destabilise the club. Unfortunately too many of us bought into it. Bottom line, what happened yesterday.

3. Mata still at SB. Was probably not the remotest chance of anything else but hey don't let that stop a good tabloid rumour.

4. Lukaku sent to Everton for another year's apprenticeship. He's 20 years old and number three in the pecking order of 4 strikers. Rather than spend 80+% of the season on the bench he's going to get game time at a half decent club playing attractive football and probably improve. A bit like Courtois, he will probably come back the finished article ready to slot straight into the first team. Playing for Chelsea and the type of games we play is not the same as playing nothing matches for WBA or Everton. The way he took his penalty against Bayern showed that he was phased by the occasion. He was hesitant and lacked the conviction of his beliefs. When he comes back, a year older, he will have matured that little bit more.

In the meantime if it all goes tits up by Christmas and we need another striker then we can revisit the decision.

Spuds? A handful of pros to replace Bale but on last weekend's evidence they lack the gamewinning factor Bale gave them.

City did the same as us, did their business early and are settled. Remains to be seen if Pellagrini can mould them into a team in season one.

United, the new Arsenal? Knocked back on every deal, total fail with the Herrera negotiation and they end up with an overpriced toilet brush.

Seriously, we come out of this transfer window smelling or roses and in a far stronger position than our rivals.

I dont disagree with most of what you have said. The bit highlighted does slightly baffle. It could be too late then, all iffs and buts , we could be nicely placed but we could also be 10 points adrift through lack of goals. Why take that chance?

Zoowraa   

You seem to miss key points in people's post! Most things Erland has said are actually quite accurate. He is describing our play, not his opinion on how it should be played. If it bores you that much, why dont you do one and support someone else. I'm sure most on here will have a sigh of relief.

Edited by Zoowraa

It's funny, I can still see the Mata smoke but even now, hours after the deadline, there's no sign of that Mata fire ...

All in all, I think you'd have to say we've had a terrific window.

I'm disappointed Lukaku has gone out on loan, but because I desperately want him to do well at Chelsea. Not because I think it's a terrible, unfathomable football decision.

Edited by thevelourfog

We scored 114 league goals last season, only 15 less than the top scorers, Man Utd. Our problem last year was more defence than attack. We conceded some silly goals last year.

In hindsight, if Lukaku was going to be third choice (he shouldn't, but he would have been), then it's better to send him on loan where he will play every week, score goals and improve.

He is still part of our long-term plans I am sure. Personally I would have kept him and told him he was competing for top striker with Eto'o and Torres (who to be fair has looked sharp and up for it this year), and then loaned him in January if he wasn't getting game time.

There is no need to panic at all. If Jose thinks this is the best thing, I trust him. I don't agree with him right now, but I might be proven wrong. And Jose knows more about football than me.

And what of all those in the media who said Mata and Luiz would leave under Jose? We've kept them when a lot of people said they would go, which is good news.

Agree pretty strongly here. I am guilty of being a bit emotional yesterday, got swept up in the panic about Mata being sold and really annoyed about Lukaku going out on loan. But today I can just look at the whole transfer window and ask

"Are we stronger than we were at the end of last season?"

The answer is a resounding YES. A massive YES. A YES of Daniel Bryan proportions.

Best club manager in the world. One of the most consistent strikers of the last 10yrs (albeit one reaching the end of his career), a great creative player just as it looked like Spurs had him. De Bruyne back off loan and looking sharp.

Yes we could've done with a bit more meat in midfield and I'm disappointed about Lukaku but I look at our rivals and they don't really compare to what we have.

Especially Man Utd. Jeez, they really did mess that one up didn't they. £27.5m for a player who'll add nothing but hair and disciplinary problems to the team. Plus they could've got him for £5m less a few weeks back but screwed up with Fellaini's buy out clause.

Seriously, you'd think if there was one manager in the league that knew the details of his release clause it woudl be Moyes, no?!

In summary - I'm pretty confident this morning. I may even have another coffee.