• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Unless we have a suitable replacement lined up I'm baffled as to why we would allow Ramires to leave. Especially as we've been so lightweight in midfield this season.

Sure, 20-25m is good business. But depleting the squad further is just damaging the club short-term

Just who is making these decisions? It can't be the manager.

GURJ SS   
19 minutes ago, Ham said:

RLC has all the tools to be whatever midfielder he wants to be as he has youth, height, strength and talent.

We know that Ramires has a great engine.  

£25m plus a promotion for an English youth product? 

Win win.  

I agree, plus I don't think losing Ramires is going to hurt us too much. Depending on the tactics used it will still be extremely rare to see Ramires on the pitch under Guus: Defensive will see Mikel, Matic and Fabregas; replacing Matic with Oscar if we are going with more forward thinking tactics.

Ramires has a great engine but we can replace him with a worker, I think recalling Chalobah would be a good move for cover. He might not have a particular strength that stands out but he will play a solid game regardless of where he plays.

4 hours ago, Holymoly said:

It's freeing up a squad place so we can get Pato I presume?

Also I see we have until the end of April before we decide if we want Falcao for £38m......errr.

We'll have a fight on our hands if United get to hear about that!

xCELERYx   

The Ramires situation is all about timing. We get that sort of offer in the summer and it's a no brainer really, we take it. Getting it in January and taking it, holds a bigger risk factor, depending how it's handled. £25m for a player of his ability is extremely hard to pass up.

I don't see the sense in trying to reinvest that money into a similar player in January when the pool of available players is going to be thin. We'd be far better off holding onto it until the summer. However, the means being an extra body light in an already lacking midfield. At the same time, if everyone stays fit then, and this is going by the current situation, Ramires is probably going to feature very minimally. 

Comes down to whether or not we're willing to take that risk. Given our chances of winning anything are slim, the main goal is going to be to avoid relegation. Which we should do, with or without Ramires. 

8 hours ago, Ham said:

RLC has all the tools to be whatever midfielder he wants to be as he has youth, height, strength and talent.

We know that Ramires has a great engine.  

£25m plus a promotion for an English youth product? 

Win win.  

Doesn't mean RLC will play!

fatbloke   
9 hours ago, chelsea_matt said:

He's a useful body though. And RLC isn't a holding player. The squad is paper-thin. I'd have kept him until the Summer. 

So what if we make a big loss for one year? We will get it back once we get the new stadium - until then we are going to be limited revenue-wise. It is also up to the club to be sensible with wages.

And we could get relegated. We need everyone. 

Only if we fill it, which we won't if we carry on playing like we are. There were loads of empty seats for the Everton game. More than a season of this and the crowds / tourists will dwindle.

Edited by fatbloke

9 hours ago, Ham said:

.  £25m plus a promotion for an English youth product?.  

Which English youth product is being promoted then?

The way it seems to me is that we might end up so desperate for lack of bodies that literally anybody on the books and fit ends up playing by default, but I'd not consider that promotion or part of a 'win win' situation.

I've read many times here that selling senior player X is a good deal because it brings in money and opens the door for youth player Y. Looks to me that the cumulative effect of several years of those deals is that we're ostensibly fighting relegation.

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

RLC is not breaking through. He just isn't. Maybe the year after next as we used to say about Josh. 

Ramires won the CL with us. He has had a good WC finals.  And we barely play him.  He and his agent should be furious with the club.  

I hope he makes a fortune for himself 

This is a first - I completely agree.

14 hours ago, James Prescott said:

RLC is breaking through Droy. Best prospect we've had for a long time, miles better than Josh. Hiddink has even said he wants to give him more games, and he was mighty impressive in the FA Cup and should get more games there, and in lesser league games, especially later on. Next season is the big chance to really establish himself. I think he's good enough.

Well this obviously doesn't mean **** does it? Jose - gawd rest his soul - said exactly the same and just how many games (minutes, seconds...) did he get?

48 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Which English youth product is being promoted then?

The way it seems to me is that we might end up so desperate for lack of bodies that literally anybody on the books and fit ends up playing by default, but I'd not consider that promotion or part of a 'win win' situation.

I've read many times here that selling senior player X is a good deal because it brings in money and opens the door for youth player Y. Looks to me that the cumulative effect of several years of those deals is that we're ostensibly fighting relegation.

Glaringly obvious is this ^ so I cannot fathom why some people still knock out the same line after line. 

For a squad of tiny numbers and a squad so blindingly skewed and imbalanced, selling or loaning out anyone now is absolutely crazy.