• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Well. Opinions will divide.

My opinion about Ivanovic is that he's not Chelsea material and certainly not as a starter. Good squad option to have if you need to play a rigid system with brutes and players that fight and have little skill. His aerial game is valuable, I'll give him that. Apart from that he falls embarrassingly short on every criteria.

His positional play and decision-making is shocking for a top level footballer. His passing limited to the extreme. He's a tough guy who'll stand his ground with excellent aerial play. Not what I'm looking for in our first choice right back. Stoke might. We shouldn't.

Like you say opinions will divide. I just don't think that he is anywhere near as bad as you are saying. I made a point of watching him at very close quarters for the Schalke game and although his delivery in an attacking sense was bad, he was very involved and committed, always looking for the ball, always in acres of space, continuously running at them, putting them on the back foot and did his job competently defensively. He's scored very important goals in big games and is physically intimidating. I accept there are better fullbacks out there, but there is something about his effort that I really like. I guess we have to agree to differ.

Hi again. :happy: I've been on another forum but not as active nor interested in talking up possible center midfielder targets.

Funny enough, someone else mentioned Morgan Schneiderlin the other day, in the other forum.

Everyone is fixated on Axel Witsel. I've no problem with that idea. Probably would be nice to get a solid, top European centre midfielder (who will be costly) and maybe one underrated player similar to Diame (there you go, I mentioned him again). I can't say I'm hung-up on one particular player to acquire; would just be nice to see Chelsea get two healthy, athletic, skilled center midfielders who can battle against any club's lineup--Diame just happens to still be that kind of player. Giannelli Imbula looks pretty good, but he's apparently more expensive and clearly less-experienced at the top level compared to someone like Diame. whatever the case, I think Chelsea NEED 2 players who are experienced already at the top level, not guys who need to grow into the the Premier League over 3 seasons; already got one of those last summer: vanGinkel.

As for the fullback... IDK, Luke Shaw is fine. Wallace will be good enough to contend for time when he comes back.

I suppose the choices may be something like this:

1. to give Luiz a backup/alternate starter role at RB (and not give Ivanovic time there), buy Shaw for now. then decide what to do with Cole/Bertrand.

2. sell luiz and buy the best RB chelsea can get, buy Shaw later (I don't know who the best RB target is)

3. Start Azpi, Kalas as backup, let Bertrand, Cole alternate more regularly on the left, wait and see what can be done by summer 2014 or until Wallace can come. perhaps sell Luiz in order to fund transfer of a better CB or those two centre midfielders.

__

I suppose I've made a reasonable argument to avoid spending money on a fullback here, so maybe two centre midfielders and splash the cash for that next Chelsea striker (eyes glaze-over). good luck on the striker; just get some good centre midfielders FFS.

In any scenario, my assumption is that Chelsea do NOT want to spend more time with Lampard in CM, nor Ivanovic at RB. I know that people have been criticizing Ashley Cole lately, but I'm not sure if Cole has had undisclosed injury problems and both he and Ramires have been babysitting Lampard, so I will reserve judgment on Cole for a later date.

Unlike some other Chelsea fans, I don't regard Luiz nor Mata as untouchable for transfers out. if they can get more money in for our needs, let them go. Willian is more the kind of small playermaker that I like personally; Mata is dispossessed too easily and that will never change.

This is none of my business, so do ignore it if you like, but I really think your posts are so much better when they are proper reasoned argument like this one rather than the more abusive club bashing style (like the previous one)...

Zoowraa   

Agreed. Goal scoring strikers are overrated IMO. There's more to it than just putting the ball in the net. I would love to see Luka Modric here. He's absolutely the answer to our problems in Midfield.

Unfortunately I don't see him leaving Madrid any time soon. Even someone like De Rossi can be the the difference in us winning the title and falling just short. For me he's still a steal at the reported 10 million.

Agree with both of these. Either would be a fantastic signing, but neither appear to be available unfortunately.

You would think Jose will be looking for a centre midfielder of some sort in January. I find the Essien situation a little odd, he has hardly had a look in, yet Jose took him on loan last season and he found some game time in arguably a stronger squad. I'm a little surprised he has not played a few more games.

Regarding left backs for the future, I like Shaw but I am just not sure he is ready to step into Chelsea first team yet. I think he needs more time with Southampton.

I would look closely at Felipe Luis at Atletico. He seems excellent week in week out to me. I suspect he will cost a few quid, but I don't think I have seen a full back play as well as this lad has,for the last 12 months or so.

Agree with both of these. Either would be a fantastic signing, but neither appear to be available unfortunately.

You would think Jose will be looking for a centre midfielder of some sort in January. I find the Essien situation a little odd, he has hardly had a look in, yet Jose took him on loan last season and he found some game time in arguably a stronger squad. I'm a little surprised he has not played a few more games.

It seems that here, and more specifically in central midfield, he is forced to use what he believes is his best combination more often than not. Madrid have a wealth of top talent in other areas and are a dominant force in their league, so playing a rotation option will not have as big an impact on their performance.

todongo   

This is none of my business, so do ignore it if you like, but I really think your posts are so much better when they are proper reasoned argument like this one rather than the more abusive club bashing style (like the previous one)...

where is the "club-bashing?" something about ineptitude, slow attacks, and zero pentration? if that qualifies as "club-bashing," I might be someone you want to ignore.

where is the "club-bashing?" something about ineptitude, slow attacks, and zero pentration? if that qualifies as "club-bashing," I might be someone you want to ignore.

Hey I'm just trying to help. If I describe Dortmund as a lightweight, brittle "Arsenal-lite" with no chance of ever winning anything, on a Dortmund forum, that would make me deliberately antagonistic. In the same way that lethargic, inept and zero penetration is. None of those terms are wholly incorrect, but I'm just pointing out that you will get your ideas to more people if you don't say the club are s*** every time you come here. We are all aware of the issues, limitations and mistakes made, but are also proud of what we have achieved in spite of that in the last couple of years. That's not to say that we don't wish it was better. Be constructive like in your earlier post, and people will engage more.

Usually I'd disagree with Dave on Ivanovic very strongly, but he has been quite poor in recent weeks. I'm not sure how much of that is his fault exactly but a (imo) very strong personal start to the season for him has tailed off quite badly.

The Express are today reporting that Dembele wants out of Tottenham. I'd be surprised if that's true, very surprised if Tottenham were willing to sell and fall-off-my-chair amazed if they'd be willing to sell to us, but he is a player I think could make a real difference to all the teams in and around the top 5 or 6. Wonderful in possession and very athletic/dynamic. Was actually a little jealous when he went to Tottenham in the first place.

Like you say opinions will divide. I just don't think that he is anywhere near as bad as you are saying. I made a point of watching him at very close quarters for the Schalke game and although his delivery in an attacking sense was bad, he was very involved and committed, always looking for the ball, always in acres of space, continuously running at them, putting them on the back foot and did his job competently defensively. He's scored very important goals in big games and is physically intimidating. I accept there are better fullbacks out there, but there is something about his effort that I really like. I guess we have to agree to differ.

Agreed. In fact I'd almost say that over the last 4 years he'd be one of the first names on my team sheet. He has had bad periods in both positions (CB and RB) but these often coincide with bad team performances. He is a rock otherwise. Though I've maintained for a few years that I don't want to see him at RB, purely because I firmly believe a top team should have fullbacks with good attacking qualities due to the possession advantage.

Has he been poor lately? Yes. And again so have the rest of the team. I'm more concerned about our effectiveness and overall play than any one player. If you play with Ivanovic and Cole, drop Luiz, you damn sure can't be relying on your defenders to make key passes to your attackers.

Usually I'd disagree with Dave on Ivanovic very strongly, but he has been quite poor in recent weeks. I'm not sure how much of that is his fault exactly but a (imo) very strong personal start to the season for him has tailed off quite badly.

The Express are today reporting that Dembele wants out of Tottenham. I'd be surprised if that's true, very surprised if Tottenham were willing to sell and fall-off-my-chair amazed if they'd be willing to sell to us, but he is a player I think could make a real difference to all the teams in and around the top 5 or 6. Wonderful in possession and very athletic/dynamic. Was actually a little jealous when he went to Tottenham in the first place.

Re Dembele: give me a quick paragraph to fill in some context.

When Spurs were rumoured to be interested in Christian Eriksen I posted to say that I thought he was overrated and that I hoped they would waste a lot of money on him. I therefore went along to a Spurs chat site recently to read their early impressions of the young Dane. I discovered that they are seeing his flaws but are still in the honeymoon period where they are quick to forgive him for them. I also discovered however that they are losing patience with Moussa Dembele.

Obviously what I read on that forum is just a random snapshot of some fans' opinions and it surprised me but I am inclined to take it seriously. This is partly because it offers a clue why Dembele is playing for a Europa League team when you might think he'd be doing better but mainly it's because we all know that you form the best impression of a player when you watch him in ninety-minute action, week-after-week. The accusation levelled at Dembele is that he dwells on the ball, slows play and looses possession too often.

As I say, this surprised me because, like you, I've always rated Dembele very highly. Before he left AZ I posted that I wanted us to sign him and before he left Fulham I posted that people in the game must know things about him that we don't. I said this because I couldn't understand why there didn't seem to be much of a scramble for his signature. Maybe Spurs fans have given us the answer. Someone who can Pass, tackle, is strong in possession and is a secure dribbler in tight midfield spaces sounds like just what we need but if he is guilty of slowing the game then I say we already have one of those and that for me, that's already one too many.

Having said all that, my positive impressions of Dembele remain so strong that I'd probably still be tempted if the price was right. That word probably is a bit of a change because I'd have said definitely before. Thing is the price won't be right though will it? With Levy it's never about how much money, it's about how many limbs. :)