• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

xCELERYx   
52 minutes ago, Dingus said:

A 32 year old Sanchez would more than likely still be better than what we've got right now. And these players are top athletes these days. He'll more than likely still be in top condition for a good few years yet.

He's 29 so this would probably end up being his final big contract. Well worth the money and outlay if you ask me. But hey, everyone seems happy enough with Willian & Co. stinking it up so what do I know...

Who's to really say how good Sanchez will still be at 32 or so. He's played a lot of football in recent years and his performances this season have also significantly dipped in comparison to his last few. While still an excellent player at present, to lock him into a deal for the next 4/5 years at 300k+ can quickly turn into having a bad contract on our hands long term. Having to pay a transfer fee on top compounds it further - particularly when he's free at the end of the season. 

I'm certainly not happy with what we've got, have made this clear for quite some time. I'd merely prefer someone with a bit more longevity, given Willian and Pedro are also 30+ next season. That said, IF he sees out his contract at Arsenal and is a free agent in the summer, I'd be more accepting of a deal being done. As long as the contract he gets isn't going to hamstring us going forward. 

paulw66   
24 minutes ago, Dingus said:

You can say it's a "close your eyes to finances" perspective, but again - why do you/people care about the money side of it?

All I care about is the quality of the first team squad and what I see out on the pitch and at present, neither are in good condition.

Top players command the top money. Simple as.

But it seems like everyone wants to buy into potential and has an aversion to buying top level talent these days. Sad. 

You are missing the point entirely. Nobody on this forum doesn't want us to buy good players. The concern is spending an outlay of what is going to be around £100m on a 29 year old could be better spent elsewhere. 

Mahrez and Werner are two names being thrown around. Both a lot younger and represent a better long term strategy.

There is a finite amount of money in the pot. Is Sanchez a top player? yes. IF spending £100m on getting him means we cannot offer Courtois and Hazard the money they are after, then it's folly. I am not saying this IS the case, but it is not beyond the realms of fantasy. 

Nobody is arguing that Sanchez wouldn't improve the team. Nobody. But there is a risk attached. As pointed out, he has played a lot of football for a 29 year old and I am sceptical he will be one of those players that keeps going well into his 30s

Edited by paulw66

Ham   

Good point about his performances this season. Best case scenario, he's unhappy at not being allowed to leave in the summer. Worst case scenario, he's on the decline already which does happen to dynamic players like him. 

Dingus   
2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You are missing the point entirely. Nobody on this forum doesn't want us to buy good players. The concern is spending an outlay of what is going to be around £100m on a 29 year old could be better spent elsewhere. 

Mahrez and Werner are two names being thrown around. Both a lot younger and represent a better long term strategy.

There is a finite amount of money in the point. Is Sanchez a top player? yes. IF spending £100m on getting him means we cannot offer Courtois and Hazard the money they are after, then it's folly. I am not saying this IS the case, but it is not beyond the realms of fantasy. 

That's not the impression I'm getting. You'd overlook a player and what he'd bring to the current team because of his potential wages is what I'm reading.

And again, why is there the concern? It's not your money being spent is it?

End of the day, it's all what's and if's though isn't it? It could be spent better elsewhere. Or it could be spent now and we enjoy a further few years of success and worry about the later when the time comes.

I think that's the difference between myself and a lot of you, I'm only really concerned with the now side of things because if we don't sort out things now, the long term strategy of the club "could" be a lot different. Especially if Hazard doesn't sign a new extension and I dread to think who we'd get in to replace him given this stance of not paying top dollar for top players.

paulw66   
18 minutes ago, Dingus said:

And again, why is there the concern? It's not your money being spent is it?

I am not sure how more simple to make this.

1. No it is not my money

2. The CLUB has a finite amount of money.

3. The concern is if the CLUB spend £100m on a 29 year old, it may have negative impacts elsewhere; eg investment in younger players that represent better value, and the potential of the club to offer new long term contracts to Hazard and Courtois. 

• Like 1

Dingus   
3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I am not sure how more simple to make this.

1. No it is not my money

2. The CLUB has a finite amount of money.

3. The concern is if the CLUB spend £100m on a 29 year old, it may have negative impacts elsewhere; eg investment in younger players that represent better value, and the potential of the club to offer new long term contracts to Hazard and Courtois. 

Again, all this talk of value... Is everyone that obbessed with leveling the balance sheet these days....?

End of the day, if we don't sort out out what's going on NOW, by getting in top level talent, like an Alexis Sanchez is, there won't be a Hazard or Courtois at the club because they will have moved elsewhere because the club no longer match their own ambitions.

11 hours ago, Rob B said:

Would be funny though wouldn’t it...

Jose’s face would be a picture 

I am quite happy for him to be ripped off, next he will have ronaldo and his agent knocking on the door to empty their coffers further. Think we should continue to let the press say we are interested just to see the price rise.

If it was about ambition he wouldnt be asking so much to get to a team that has an interest to win something.

Dingus   
3 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

I am quite happy for him to be ripped off, next he will have ronaldo and his agent knocking on the door to empty their coffers further. Think we should continue to let the press say we are interested just to see the price rise.

If it was about ambition he wouldnt be asking so much to get to a team that has an interest to win something.

If he feels that he is worth that then why shouldn't he ask for that?