• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Leo91   
22 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Because he’s overrated and sh@te which is a typical Arse striker. 

10 goals in 14 Arsenal appearances since he joined in January.

7 hours ago, Original 21 said:

But what about all those crunch meetings between Roman and Marina, and Marina and Sarri? And Marina and all those Italian clubs? In all those exotic locations? Surely we weren’t just going through the motions? That would be very weird. 

Sarri has already said he has no input into signings he is here to coach the 1st team. 

1 hour ago, Leo91 said:

10 goals in 14 Arsenal appearances since he joined in January.

How many goals did Bats score at Dortmund before he got injured?

“I talk with the club about the market but only one or maybe two times, not more. I spoke about positions and characteristics but no names," Sarri told reporters. "So, I don’t know. I think we need something, but maybe only a player.

"We have very good midfielders, but maybe a midfielder with different characteristics [would be a good fit]."

http://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/sarri-eyes-new-midfield-signing-before-transfer-deadline/1dl2l9is98415120q93877mk1p?__twitter_impression=tru 

40 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

“I talk with the club about the market but only one or maybe two times, not more. I spoke about positions and characteristics but no names," Sarri told reporters. "So, I don’t know. I think we need something, but maybe only a player.

"We have very good midfielders, but maybe a midfielder with different characteristics [would be a good fit]."

http://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/sarri-eyes-new-midfield-signing-before-transfer-deadline/1dl2l9is98415120q93877mk1p?__twitter_impression=tru 

I hope he said this because he doesn't know the word for winger! We have at least 7 central midfielders but only 4 wingers.

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

There have been quite a few effective strikers who haven’t considered themselves “top dog”.

I don’t see the issue with this number change. If Morata scores goals the way he did when he first started with us I don’t think anyone will give a toss tbh. 

It’s not a Torres situation with Morata. Morata scored goals for fun prior to the back injury. We know that he can score goals. His problem is with the mindset and has been his problem for his entire career thus far. 

Do we need a Drogba or a Costa - no, not necessarily. A lot of teams nowadays don’t play with that setup anymore. There is nothing wrong with the team approach that City and Liverpool use so well. 

We need an improvement in goals-games ratio across the board. Morata, Hazard, Willian, Pedro, the midfield, the centre backs - everyone has to improve. 

Does Morata seem capable of getting out of his funk? I don’t think so. But it’s not because he needs a completely new personality. Maybe the people who manage him need to have different expectations of him. 

I, for one, would like to see Pedro and Willian get 10-15 goals each, Morata and Hazard maybe 20-25 goals, the midfield maybe 10-15 goals as well, the centre backs maybe 10 goals, and we could take it from there. 

That Chelsea team of old was so dominant because there was a point when we could rely on DD, Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Jt, Carvalho, Alex, Ivanovic and others to all chip in consistently.

An interesting point to bring up. The back injury is just another in a long line of excuses when it comes to justifying Morata's tail off. This sort of thing is a tried and trusted process when it comes to his form. There's always that guaranteed period where he looks good and does well - he's had it at every club. Sometimes it lasts a month, sometimes it's just a handful of games, but it happens. His goals to begin the season with were against Burnley, Everton, Leicester and Stoke (x3) -  keeping in mind that his hat-trick vs Stoke was against a side that essentially had two fullbacks playing CB. The only part of his attacking play that has looked remotely convincing has been his attacking headers on goal - the rest of his game is a flip of the corn at best. 

He's played at two of the most reputable clubs in football. He's played with some of the finest players, and under some of the best managers the game has to offer - ultimately he's still regularly struggled. 

There's just too many inconsistencies in his game for him to be a reliable player at the elite level. Had he cost £20-30m and joined as a squad option, I'd have little issue with that because that fits his profile well and he'd be a solid option for that role. Unfortunately, we spent £60m+ with expectations to spearhead our attack and he's failed miserably thus far. Even in a more attack minded system I just can't see him being that 20+ goal a season striker we need. Which will hurt our attack, because even under Sarri I still struggle to see where our goals are going to come from. We'll be asking Hazard to shoulder much of the work once more. That's a huge concern. 

• Like 1

Kezza   
2 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

How many goals did Bats score at Dortmund before he got injured?

Not sure what you are driving at. Why don't you ask how many goals did Bats score in the PL?

Well, Morata himself has with direct quotes stated he's goig nowhere (and has bought a new, bigger house closer to Cobham).

I pray that Giroud will be kept and/or Bats has his proper break-out season. 

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2018/8/3/17650060/morata-claims-he-never-wanted-to-leave-and-conditions-are-perfect-to-come-good-at-chelsea

Courtois situation is an odd one and I'm not really sure what the club should do. It seems as though we don't have a replacement for him lined up, because if we did I think we'd have got him in and shipped Courtois out already, which now puts the club in a tricky situation... cash in and take £30(ish)million for him, but be left with Caballero as number 1 or we keep hold of him and have a player here who clearly does not want to be here and then lose him for free next summer after paying his wages all year. A quite possible scenario if he stays is his head won't be in it, his form will drop off and because of that Willy will end up being number 1 anyway. I don't really know how the club has let it get to this stage, it was quite clear to everyone about a year ago that this was going to happen and we did nothing to react to it.

As for Morata, I don't really care what number he wears, I don't understand why it's an issue for anyone and my guess is had it been Hazard/Kante/Azpi changing numbers for the same reason, the reaction would have been quite different. In terms of his ability and what he can offer us this season, that I do care about and that worries me - he was awful vs Arsenal and I just can't see how we can go in to the season with him as our number 1 striker, but the other options aren't currently much better - Bats has his limitations and for me will never be more than a 2nd/3rd choice at a club fighting at the top end of the PL and for as well as Giroud did for us last season, I don't see him fitting Sarri's system too well and he'd be bette as an impact man off the bench in my opinion - also, neither man has had any pre-season time.

Sarri has said we need 1 more signing, but he doesn't know who - he's told the board what position, but the rest is up to them... is it a striker? Hopefully. If not, hopefully we're making a surprise move for a top GK.

2 hours ago, Kezza said:

Not sure what you are driving at. Why don't you ask how many goals did Bats score in the PL?

10 goals in 25 games for Chelsea last season before loan (2 in12 PL)

9 goals in 14 games for Dortmund

Edited by RobertoftheGiz