• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Not sure what you mean by this. 

Isn't Sarri saying and getting the same reaction as Conte? 

No I think he is getting the opposite reaction - or at least people are ignoring what Sarri says as obvioius bluff.  With Conte the clear bluff of 'I don't even know who is joining us later this week' was initially taken as a  humourous version of "no comment", but pretty quickly it got turned around on him.  I think out of punishment, because while all journalists recognised that Conte was not in harmony with the club, some found "secret sources" = made up rubbish to confirm this,.  The others were pressurised by editors to find something for themselves.  So they turned Conte's joke into a noose.

29 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

No I think he is getting the opposite reaction - or at least people are ignoring what Sarri says as obvioius bluff.  With Conte the clear bluff of 'I don't even know who is joining us later this week' was initially taken as a  humourous version of "no comment", but pretty quickly it got turned around on him.  I think out of punishment, because while all journalists recognised that Conte was not in harmony with the club, some found "secret sources" = made up rubbish to confirm this,.  The others were pressurised by editors to find something for themselves.  So they turned Conte's joke into a noose.

The last two managers have both clearly stated they don't buy the players . Both of them . One repeatedly .

Sarri has even fleshed the process out for the hard of thinking in saying he tells the club the type of player he needs and the attributes they should have and leaves it to them to identify and sign them. 

Believing that Conte was to blame for the desperate signings of multiple injured players was just another stick to beat him with when he shouldered the entire blame for a poor season where everyone failed at their jobs , from the board through the playing staff.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think you have to dumb it down for me. 

Conte said he didn't buy the players - most believed him.

Sarri says the same, and most believe him. 

How is that opposite? 

For what it's worth, I think Sarri/Conte/whoever the mnager is, tells the board what he believes the squad needs, he gives names and other characteristics needed for the position and then the board gets to work. I also think they have a separate list of recruits, players that are deemed as long-term buys for the squad. 

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Believing that Conte was to blame for the desperate signings of multiple injured players was just another stick to beat him with when he shouldered the entire blame for a poor season where everyone failed at their jobs , from the board through the playing staff.

Maybe not the actual plaayers, but certainly the positions we needed players in. That was his downfall.... Bats is on 90k/week. Under Conte he was barely used. Jesus was also on 90k for City. He was instrumental in their title win as their S2. He also focused on far too many defensive signings to the point where we didn't have an attack. 

Saari may well be brilliant for Chelsea, and I hope he is but we know the truth is that he has been brought in because he won't kick up a fuss with board over lack of singings or singings he didn't choose

BlueFizz   
1 minute ago, Gormangorman said:

Saari may well be brilliant for Chelsea, and I hope he is but we know the truth is that he has been brought in because he won't kick up a fuss with board over lack of singings or singings he didn't choose

I think he’s ALSO been bought in because his teams play exciting football and because part of the reason he doesn’t “kick up a fuss” is his past success in getting more from players already in place, due to his coaching.

For what it’s worth - I think the approach that sees a coach identify a ‘type’ of player he needs, then trusting the club to provide one, is pretty standard across every big European mainland club, so not particularly novel.

Ironically, given his banking background, Sarri might be slightly better placed to play a fuller ‘managerial’ role, with greater control over signings etc, than many we’ve had previously.

4 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

I think he’s ALSO been bought in because his teams play exciting football and because part of the reason he doesn’t “kick up a fuss” is his past success in getting more from players already in place, due to his coaching.

For what it’s worth - I think the approach that sees a coach identify a ‘type’ of player he needs, then trusting the club to provide one, is pretty standard across every big European mainland club, so not particularly novel.

Ironically, given his banking background, Sarri might be slightly better placed to play a fuller ‘managerial’ role, with greater control over signings etc, than many we’ve had previously.

I fully agree with you, it will be great if he can get more out of the youth players rather than cry about not getting the expensive singing he wanted a le mode Conte

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

The last two managers have both clearly stated they don't buy the players . Both of them . One repeatedly .

Sarri has even fleshed the process out for the hard of thinking in saying he tells the club the type of player he needs and the attributes they should have and leaves it to them to identify and sign them. 

Good post

One of them even said he doesn't know the names of who the club will buy between now and transfer deadline (3 or 4 away).
Mark, by all means believe it, but don't expect people who have read newspapers or watched TV interviews before to take it in the least bit seriously.

Which is pretty standard - and very different to the version you want to accept for Conte where he had no influence.

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

For what it's worth, I think Sarri/Conte/whoever the mnager is, tells the board what he believes the squad needs, he gives names and other characteristics needed for the position and then the board gets to work. I also think they have a separate list of recruits, players that are deemed as long-term buys for the squad. 

You mean the same as normal managers sure all over the Prem and Europe.  Probably with some input on the shortlist  though at the end.

But:

Ancelotti, Italian, arrived from Italy
AVB - Assistant at Inter
RDM - Italian
Benitez - last job 2 years at Inter
JM -    also had 2 years at Inter
Hiddink  NO Italian past!!

Cuadrado is the only player I can recall coming out of Serie A in this time (I may have missed one, no one memorable)

Conte - Italian, from National team
Sarri - Italia, from Napoli

Rudiger, Morata, Alonso, Zappacosta, Emerson, and now Jorginho, ALL OUT OF SERIE A.

Whatever is going on you'd have to be crazy to suggest that Conte and Sari have little influence.  (or more likely just avoiding questions ahead of deadline day)

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

I think you have to dumb it down for me. 

Conte said he didn't buy the players - most believed him.  very few believed him - but the press had a field day with it

Sarri says the same, and most believe him.   no one at all believes him - and the press are ignoring it

How is that opposite? press response

57 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

One of them even said he doesn't know the names of who the club will buy between now and transfer deadline (3 or 4 away).
Mark, by all means believe it, but don't expect people who have read newspapers or watched TV interviews before to take it in the least bit seriously.

Which is pretty standard - and very different to the version you want to accept for Conte where he had no influence.

You mean the same as normal managers sure all over the Prem and Europe.  Probably with some input on the shortlist  though at the end.

But:

Ancelotti, Italian, arrived from Italy
AVB - Assistant at Inter
RDM - Italian
Benitez - last job 2 years at Inter
JM -    also had 2 years at Inter
Hiddink  NO Italian past!!

Cuadrado is the only player I can recall coming out of Serie A in this time (I may have missed one, no one memorable)

Conte - Italian, from National team
Sarri - Italia, from Napoli

Rudiger, Morata, Alonso, Zappacosta, Emerson, and now Jorginho, ALL OUT OF SERIE A.

Whatever is going on you'd have to be crazy to suggest that Conte and Sari have little influence.  (or more likely just avoiding questions ahead of deadline day)

Maybe , because the board are trying their best , where they can,  not to upset the manager, they are targeting players from their previous leagues so even if they don't get the best choice for whatever reasons ,  they at least get a player the coach is familiar with ?

Kezza   

Its crazy to think managers don't have a final say in signing a player. Sure maybe here they don't give actual targets the club based on their scouting network goes out and identify these players. Eventually they should ask the managers if they would sanction the signing and have a good use for him. Can you imagine the club signing Bakayoko for Sarri? The manager has a final yes to the key signings.