• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

BlueFizz   
5 hours ago, Kezza said:

Does it make sense for a club to be held hostage by a player till the end of the window without any replacements? A club as big as ours? Are we too scared to sack TC or offend him with pursuing a new keeper? This is all on the club for being too nice to a knob like TC.

If the club want the player to stay and sign a new contract (and just a couple of months ago I was reading quotes from Courtois that this was so) then they would hope to start negotiations after the world cup - or even later.

I don’t see you can damn the club if Courtois kept implying he’d stay and sign a new contract.

He’s too good to give ultimatums to and as I say, one more time, until quite recently the signs were that he was inclined to stay.

Edited by BlueFizz

jones   
17 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

If the club want the player to stay and sign a new contract (and just a couple of months ago I was reading quotes from Courtois that this was so) then they would hope to start negotiations after the world cup - or even later.

I don’t see you can damn the club if Courtois kept implying he’d stay and sign a new contract.

He’s too good to give ultimatums to and as I say, one more time, until quite recently the signs were that he was inclined to stay.

I do. Why would we accept to start negotiations so late? Courtois played us, we got fooled, and has no leverage left. It was a cunning move from him saying he was interested in a new contract, but it was foolish believing all the talk and not demanding any action. It is not like us fans did not see it coming. 

And now Marina is probably focusing her attention on getting maximum from Courtois (who cares if it is 35 or 40 million??) instead of going out and securing our top target.

GK situation is a mess, anyone of Oblak, Kepa, Pickford or Schmeichel would do for me. Less optimistic about Butland, 

CF is even more uncertain than it was a year ago, basically none of our current four CFs are certain to be here come Sep 1. What seems guaranteed though, is that there will be no new CF coming in.

Those are our two big issues at the moment. From a first XI perspective, I am not concerned with the other nine, but I am giving Alonso/Emerson the benefit of the doubt there. A new CM or AM is not a must at the moment if all our best players stay, but I would like to see the squad trimmed for deadwood like Cahill, Moses, Bakayoko. Even if they could do a job, there is no need for them in this way of playing football and all parties are better off with a sale.

I think pre season was promising (apart from City who we must admit are vastly superior), and we now have key players returning and things should be better when we have had more time to adapt.

6 hours ago, Kezza said:

Hope the club is smart enough to take Navas in exchange for TC. Navas is a better and more consistent player.

I agree it's probably the best case scenario at this point. Problem is Navas has already said he has no interest in leaving Real Madrid regardless of who they bring in.

BlueFizz   
21 minutes ago, jones said:

I do. Why would we accept to start negotiations so late? Courtois played us, we got fooled, and has no leverage left. It was a cunning move from him saying he was interested in a new contract, but it was foolish believing all the talk and not demanding any action. It is not like us fans did not see it coming. 

And now Marina is probably focusing her attention on getting maximum from Courtois (who cares if it is 35 or 40 million??) instead of going out and securing our top target.

GK situation is a mess, anyone of Oblak, Kepa, Pickford or Schmeichel would do for me. Less optimistic about Butland, 

CF is even more uncertain than it was a year ago, basically none of our current four CFs are certain to be here come Sep 1. What seems guaranteed though, is that there will be no new CF coming in.

Those are our two big issues at the moment. From a first XI perspective, I am not concerned with the other nine, but I am giving Alonso/Emerson the benefit of the doubt there. A new CM or AM is not a must at the moment if all our best players stay, but I would like to see the squad trimmed for deadwood like Cahill, Moses, Bakayoko. Even if they could do a job, there is no need for them in this way of playing football and all parties are better off with a sale.

I think pre season was promising (apart from City who we must admit are vastly superior), and we now have key players returning and things should be better when we have had more time to adapt.

If a club has a player they want to keep and offer him better contracts, which he says he’ll think about later - how can they force him to sign?

Likewise, no club will ever say - then you can go now!

Think beyond Chelsea - the top players hold all the cards and once they want to go they tend to string out contract negotiations - or put them off - just as Courtois has done.

His behaviour and our limited options are increasingly endemic to the football industry.

To repeat - top players at all the clubs hold all the cards.

Reports that Chelsea could activate Jan Oblak's release clause as a replacement for Courtoise, yes do it!

jangz   

Going AWOL should be a warning for all clibs about his attitude.. not even Ronaldo did that at utd.. in a couple of yrs when Madrid buy another keeper then we shall see..

jones   
10 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

If a club has a player they want to keep and offer him better contracts, which he says he’ll think about later - how can they force him to sign?

Likewise, no club will ever say - then you can go now!

Think beyond Chelsea - the top players hold all the cards and once they want to go they tend to string out contract negotiations - or put them off - just as Courtois has done.

His behaviour and our limited options are increasingly endemic to the football industry.

To repeat - top players at all the clubs hold all the cards.

Completely disagree. If a player says "I want to sign, but not now", how long are you going to wait and still believe him? For every passing day we lose leverage, and at some point you need to demand more action before it is too late. The club should have given him an ultimatum at the end of the season (the latest), either sign now or we will be bringing in a new number one and sell you. 

Marina is being reactive instead of proactive in every aspect. The last two summers have seen two uninspiring deadline buys, and we are likely to be in the same situation again. Sarri was identified as our target after the FA cup final, but it took six-seven weeks to conclude the deal for as much money as his buyout clause that expired on June 1. The Courtois situation is just another example of Marina applying the waiting game strategy, which I assume was a successful negotiation strategy in the oil business in Russia, but one that clearly does not fit the purpose of running a top football club. Getting the right deals done trumps minimizing costs per deal, football players are not quantifiable assets. She does not understand that, or that has not been made clear to her by her employer.

Either way, we need a change in direction and/or personell at club level.

Dingus   
27 minutes ago, Gormangorman said:

Reports that Chelsea could activate Jan Oblak's release clause as a replacement for Courtoise, yes do it!

But makes you wonder why we didn't shell out the cash for Alisson if we're now seemingly willing to pay out more for Oblak.

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, Dingus said:

But makes you wonder why we didn't shell out the cash for Alisson if we're now seemingly willing to pay out more for Oblak.

1. When Liverpool bought Alllison, perhaps the club maintained hope that Courtois would stay

2. Maybe they think Oblak is better. 

Ham   
3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

1. When Liverpool bought Alllison, perhaps the club maintained hope that Courtois would stay

2. Maybe they think Oblak is better. 

Or 3.  Perhaps this rumour is absolute garbage. There's no way Chelsea are paying £89m for a keeper.