• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

14 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Still think the commenting here on Courtois is an embarrassment. You'd think this was an Arsenal forum. 

Could well be this is all happening now, think it's more likely whatever is to be announced has been done for a while though. 

That's your prerogative of course. But my comments are based on views from people in the game. You can of course think that is embarrassing, I'm just struggling to see how or why.  To be honest, I'm quite puzzled how anyone can think critisism of Courtois at this stage is an embarrassement considering what has prompted the comments in the first place. The only embarrassment here is Thibaut himself. 

I think it is unlikely that Courtois would feel the need to go AWOL two days before the window closes if "it had been done for a while". It's quite clear, from his and his agents behaviour, that they waited for as long as possible before making this demand to put the club in as bad of a situation as possible. 

Again, not the slightest surprising considering what kind of guy Thibaut is. Mark Kelly does not have those inside-sources I'm referring to but he didn't need them. He reached the same conclusion (the right one) by using his head. 

1 hour ago, jangz said:

Going AWOL should be a warning for all clibs about his attitude.. not even Ronaldo did that at utd.. in a couple of yrs when Madrid buy another keeper then we shall see..

It's possible he is AWOL... alternatively, it's equally possible the club have done a deal to sell him, not announced it yet while they tie up the loose ends regarding the replacement, and told Courtois not to bother coming back to Cobham (anything in your locker will be forwarded)

21 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Well wasn't Best a winger. We're not going to play him out of position surely?

I was going to put Osgood but considered it sacrilege !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

It's possible he is AWOL... alternatively, it's equally possible the club have done a deal to sell him, not announced it yet while they tie up the loose ends regarding the replacement, and told Courtois not to bother coming back to Cobham (anything in your locker will be forwarded)

Yeah of course and maybe the club have sealed deals for Messi and Pogba and are just keeping quiet about it while they tie up the loose ends before the big reveal.

28 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

That's your prerogative of course. But my comments are based on views from people in the game. You can of course think that is embarrassing, I'm just struggling to see how or why.  To be honest, I'm quite puzzled how anyone can think critisism of Courtois at this stage is an embarrassement considering what has prompted the comments in the first place. The only embarrassment here is Thibaut himself. 

I think it is unlikely that Courtois would feel the need to go AWOL two days before the window closes if "it had been done for a while". It's quite clear, from his and his agents behaviour, that they waited for as long as possible before making this demand to put the club in as bad of a situation as possible. 

Again, not the slightest surprising considering what kind of guy Thibaut is. Mark Kelly does not have those inside-sources I'm referring to but he didn't need them. He reached the same conclusion (the right one) by using his head. 

The emboldened bits in particular ... We completely and utterly don't know what is going on with Courtois or Chelsea. We have no idea. Nothing. Nada. We should all know this, because the root of the childish name-calling here (big nose, give me strength) is the the exact same press that has continually streered everyone on this forum wrong, literally hundreds of times.

I think it's okay to decide you don't like players. The dishonest bit is inventing stories about people you know next to nothing about to justify it, or rabidly and uncritically buying into bit-part stories others tell. You strike me generally as a really thoughtful, interesting poster, but a few pages back you're character assassinating someone you don't know because they've been divorced and there are rumours they had an affair once. That is what I would say is embarrassing. 

For what it's worth, I'm perfectly open to the idea that Courtois is a knobhead. He apparently went AWOL to come here. None of us were moaning then.

Edited by thevelourfog
Various typos

24 minutes ago, Gormangorman said:

Yeah of course and maybe the club have sealed deals for Messi and Pogba and are just keeping quiet about it while they tie up the loose ends before the big reveal.

Won't beat around the bush, this is a stupid response. I think there has been a fairly clear pattern in recent years of us announcing the sales before the purchases in one-in-one-out situations. The idea that Courtois is done and is away by mutual consent is far more likely than he's playing silly buggers just before the window closes; one happens everywhere and often, the other hardly ever.

Edited by thevelourfog

Holymoly   

If we're intent on playing 4-3-3 then we need to look at the bare neccessities. A striker that scores goals and a quality experienced central defender to partner either Rudiger or Christensen. Alternatively if we return to three at the back then we're probably ok with what we've got although we still need a striker. If Courtois goes then we need to try and get someone like Schmeichel although that horse is probably too far down the road at this stage. 

Edited by Holymoly

I too am not sure why Courtois is getting such a bad time.

If we want to sign a player he has to want to leave, that's football. Courtois has never hid his desire to return to Madrid, whatever his reasons. The club has allowed us to get into this ridiculous situation. He should have agreed a new contract last year or been sold. Same as Hazard this year.

He's not a player I particularly like or have warmed to but he was key to us winning two premier league titles in his time here and for that alone I will always be greatful. 

paulw66   
2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I too am not sure why Courtois is getting such a bad time.

If the reports are true, and that he has failed to report to training, then that is breach of contract.

He wants to leave, yes, but he signed a contract to run until until 2019. He is bound by it, in the same way if his form dipped, or he ruptured his ACL, the club are bound to pay him his substantial wages.

The club are perfectly entitled to ask him to respect the contract he signed, and he is perfectly entitled to expect the club to honour his wages if the boot as on the other foot.