• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

On 1/2/2019 at 10:03 AM, paulw66 said:

(Re Hudson Odoi)

1. There is a new deal for him on the table which he wont sign. 

2. Presumably this means the club want to keep him, hence the offer.

3. If he doesn't sign it, the club run the risk of him leaving for free in 2020, so I guess they are doing the sensible thing and trying to get as big a fee as possible for him.

4. If he is unhappy at his game time, then he needs to wind his neck in. Only just turned 18 and has made 10 appearances. How many 18 year olds have played that often for any big side in Europe at that age? I could understand the argument if he was 20/21 but if he expects to walk into the first team, he needs to have a long hard look. 

1. Is there? Do you know the details (length, money, terms) ? Maybe he wont sign because his agent thinks it's not good enough for such a promising player. He might be right.

2. Presumably. But how much do they want to keep him? Not enough apparently to tell other clubs he's not for sale...in fact they have let it be known the amount of money they want for him.

3. Wind his neck in? I'm not even sure his neck is out there. Like all players on the bench I'm sure he wants to play more but when he does  He plays with a smile on his face and I've certainly never heard him moan in public about playing time or chances, and my God he would have a legitimate case to moan looking at the kind of performances some of our AM players are putting in . By comparison, a player like Christenson is the kind that needs to wind his neck in. Loads of chances in all comps , loads of bad performances deserving of being dropped yet he starts threatening to leave if he doesn't play more! 

Hudson has got Leipsig, Juve and Bayern Munich watching his every move because they know he is one of the great young prospects in Europe. These clubs aren't stupid. We can be stupid and we will be stupid especially if we lose this player. What Chelsea need to do is sit him down with his agent, discuss/improve his contract offer, get him to sign and then tell other clubs to back off.   

jones   

I think CHO will sign a new contract, and that the «friction» we are experiencing now, is part of a tough negotiation with his agents. They are likely pushing on both money and playing time, but I can’t see us not being able to push this over the line. CHO is the only academy prospect in the front three at the moment, and has been given more chances than any 18 yo before him. Fans love him. And Chelsea is his club and his family is close. Doubt Bayern can give him better guarantees than Chelsea. I think both parties want to sign the deal, and right now we are just in the middle of negotiations. I am positive.

What I am not positive about is our big, glaring hole up front. We have three expensive CFs on our books, acquired for around 100m, but neither have the skillset to deliver. We needed a new CF Yesterday. But not many alternatives available. That worries me.

xCELERYx   
26 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

1. Is there? Do you know the details (length, money, terms) ? Maybe he wont sign because his agent thinks it's not good enough for such a promising player. He might be right.

2. Presumably. But how much do they want to keep him? Not enough apparently to tell other clubs he's not for sale...in fact they have let it be known the amount of money they want for him.

3. Wind his neck in? I'm not even sure his neck is out there. Like all players on the bench I'm sure he wants to play more but when he does  He plays with a smile on his face and I've certainly never heard him moan in public about playing time or chances, and my God he would have a legitimate case to moan looking at the kind of performances some of our AM players are putting in . By comparison, a player like Christenson is the kind that needs to wind his neck in. Loads of chances in all comps , loads of bad performances deserving of being dropped yet he starts threatening to leave if he doesn't play more! 

Hudson has got Leipsig, Juve and Bayern Munich watching his every move because they know he is one of the great young prospects in Europe. These clubs aren't stupid. We can be stupid and we will be stupid especially if we lose this player. What Chelsea need to do is sit him down with his agent, discuss/improve his contract offer, get him to sign and then tell other clubs to back off.   

1. He won't sign a new deal because he isn't convinced there will be enough first team opportunities handed to him. He wants to be convinced of this before signing, if he hasn't already decided to leave. 

2. Re above. Not so much about the club wanting to keep him/not wanting to keep him. CHO's future boils down to first team chances he'll be afforded. Nothing more, nothing less.

3. Neither CHO or Christensen need to "wind their neck in" to be fair. CHO has expressed his concerns and want's reassurances first before committing, which is fair enough. I wouldn't commit my future to an employer unless I knew what chances I had to make progression through the company. As for Christensen, he went from making 23 PL starts last season to making 1 so far this. He's 22 turning 23 in April, not 17. Has done his apprenticeship out on loan in years prior and is at a stage where it's important for him to be playing regularly. I wouldn't expect anyone in his situation to be content going from playing as regularly as he did last season to virtually being confined to cup comps. 

Sarri's comments after CHO's impressive performance against POAK didn't help the cause. CHO's age shouldn't be a factor on if he's PL ready or not, if he has the talent than he has the talent. We're not blessed with an array of attacking midfielders, nor are some of them performing well enough. Giving a young kid an opportunity to stake a claim isn't going to make or break us, not when other sides have been able to introduce young players perfectly fine. I'd rather see us do better at trying to develop CHO and sit through his mistakes, then see someone like Willian dish up the same predictable performances each week and not learn a thing. Hell, it may even mean we unearth a player who can be a solid contributor for years to come - potentially even a star. That's a huge money saver right there. Back the kid and let him know he'll get opportunities moving forward, that's going to be the best course of action if we're serious about getting him to stay.

41 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

By comparison, a player like Christenson is the kind that needs to wind his neck in. Loads of chances in all comps , loads of bad performances deserving of being dropped yet he starts threatening to leave if he doesn't play more!    

Christenson is a class act and is sort after by most of the top teams in Europe. I can understand his frustration when he see a coach who is I awe of senior players at the club and selects the likes of  Luiz week in week out regardless of his form.

6 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

1. He won't sign a new deal because he isn't convinced there will be enough first team opportunities handed to him. He wants to be convinced of this before signing, if he hasn't already decided to leave. 

Really doubt it; he's 18. 

Think it's much more likely he and his agent know how much money the likes of McEachran and RLC have managed to get out of us without having to be yet good enough to contribute.

Zidane   
18 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Think it's much more likely he and his agent know how much money the likes of McEachran and RLC have managed to get out of us without having to be yet good enough to contribute.

You genuinely think we haven't already offered CHO >40k p/w? For a player we apparently value at 40m?

xCELERYx   
8 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

While not out of the realm of possibility, I can't see the likes of Bayern, Dortmund and co, going out and throwing massive wages towards CHO either. That's not really their nature as clubs.

Using Sancho as a rough example, he signed a contract extension with Dortmund in November that reportedly tripled his wages. He's now earning £52k pw by reports. That would mean he initially was on around £17.3k pw when he joined.

I'm sure we'd have no qualm offering something like that and well beyond, given how highly regarded he is. 

I'd be confident, based on everything that's come out that first team opportunities - particularly in the PL, hold the key to CHO re-signing or not.

There will never be a neatly packaged time window scenario for Tammy Abraham. Another loan to a struggling Premier League club will be pointless and tell us absolutely nothing, and may also mean we'd have to buy at least one striker in the time between. 

What we do know is that we need a striker now, and he's one that's scoring goals and on our books. He doesn't have to do much to better the output of Giroud and Morata.

He's shown what he can do in two sides which have a bit about them (at the level they're at), so there's a likelihood that he can do it for us too.

If we bring him back and play him then it's basically sink or swim - but it's the only way this will ever work - he either grabs his chance or he doesn't.

I don't particularly want to use Kane and Rashford as examples, but they're pretty pertinent. One capitalised on having two struggling strikers ahead of him (Soldado and Adebayor), impressed in cup games, then eventually forced his way into the team, the other grabbed an opportunity when he wasn't even originally down to be on the bench, and never looked back.

56 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

I'd rather see us do better at trying to develop CHO and sit through his mistakes, then see someone like Willian dish up the same predictable performances each week and not learn a thing. Hell, it may even mean we unearth a player who can be a solid contributor for years to come - potentially even a star. That's a huge money saver right there. Back the kid and let him know he'll get opportunities moving forward, that's going to be the best course of action if we're serious about getting him to stay.

Agree.