• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Ham   
8 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

No worries, it was a nice win today though! Even though we needed the penalties to go all the way. 

Exactly what Sarri and the lads needed. 

😊👍

Ham   
3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I know, I know... But genuinely interested in this point. 

I think you're only half-right on 'opinion' here. It's more nuanced than that; it's more that there definitely is a 'fact' on fitness levels and we simply don't know what it is so take a view based on what we think about other things. 

We've all seen unfit players come off the bench, or even start, so we all know being in the team or squad isn't always an indicator of fitness. 

My guess is that Hazard has played up top a few times for tactical reasons, a few times because there was little other option, and maybe even a combination of the two. Anyone claiming anything more certain is not asserting 'facts', just what they think the 'facts' are likely to be. 

You're right which is why the only thing I've claimed to be fact is that strikers were on the bench. The rest is opinion although Giroud was on for 90 minutes tonight 😉

On 22/01/2019 at 10:36 PM, exiledblue said:

I looked at the table and saw we were 4th not 14th which seems to be quite ok with fullbacks that need addressing but have only conceded 19 goals and a dysfunctional midfield which has scored most of our 40 goals this season.

I think there some exaggeration going on in these pages and I also think a target man will make a big difference by freeing up our dysfunctional midfield to score and create more. Yes Sarri has to wake up and start playing to the strengths but all is not lost yet.

Final of the League cup, 

last 32 of the FA cup

4th in Prem

last 32 of Europa league

Scoring well also from midfield and not conceding many

I really dont think we have too much to complain about. Won nothing as someone will surely say but we are still in there which is better than being out. Apart from the Prem the rest we are in with a shout. 

Leo91   

Perspective is key. I'm not a Mourinho nut hugger but he made good points the other day in that Liverpool and City have backed their managers in numerous windows. I believe the board are backing him in the same way but we're only two windows in, and that's even if you can count the summer transfer window when the club were focusing on the managerial appointment.

Let's say Higuain does really well, what do people think we'll need in the Summer? Looks like we may have backed away from signing a CM in this window as talk of Paredes and Barella has died down and both have been heavily linked to PSG and Inter respectively. We've got a £60m RW coming in so whether we think Pulisic is the real deal yet or not, seems unlikely we'll be going for another one. 

Just wondering which positions people expect us to look to first if Higuain is firing on all cylinders and we delay the signing of a long term striker for another year or two.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:59 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Minus Costa, Fabregas, Matic (for what he was worth), Cahill, Courtois, and now with Pedro and Willian aged 31 not 29.

Actually it is hard to see what is similar.  Luiz, Alonso and Hazard are much the same but not improved.  Rudiger over Cahill, anyone over Moses and Matic the only improvements.

Azpi is not nearly as good for what ever reasons (fitness/form I suspect).  If we don't sit back, Kante has less to achieve as a ball winner.  

And had we had to play this years Spurs, City and Liverpool we wouldn't have got 93 points.  City are on target to equal that this year and Liverpool to beat it.
I don't see how that 16/17 team would win the title this year.  It was a very good total points, in a year no one else turned up.  But City last year and Liverpool this year (so far) have been a lot better.

If the 17/18 team couldn't get anywhere near the 16/17 level, I can't see any reason why the current older team might.

Oh, come on. 2 years have passed so the players are too old? 

There are quite a few similarities actually - Alonso, Azpili, Luiz, Kante, Hazard, Pedro, and Willian. Moses isn't “gone”, is he? Cahill is also here. Fabregas was hardly a lynch pin of Conte’s side. Jorginho and Matic are about the same in terms of impact - largely no impact that is. Lacking Costa I would give you that.

“Frequently

10/11  71 points
11/12  6th
12/13   3 points above 5th
15/16 ...
17/18   5th”

And the club made changes every step of the way.

If you’re job is to make a credible point that 2 years have made this team are worse bunch than Title contenders,  then you seriously need to rethink that view. 

With the exception of Cahill, no-one has deteriorated that bad. 

Now, you can make the case that the manager needs certain players (like Paul has) in order to get us to perform more efficiently and consistently the way That HE wants, and that would be fair. But to act as though he has a terrible bunch to work with, well, I’m afraid that would be very unfair.

7 minutes ago, Bridge Soldier said:

Let's say Higuain does really well, what do people think we'll need in the Summer? Looks like we may have backed away from signing a CM in this window as talk of Paredes and Barella has died down and both have been heavily linked to PSG and Inter respectively. We've got a £60m RW coming in so whether we think Pulisic is the real deal yet or not, seems unlikely we'll be going for another one. 

Just wondering which positions people expect us to look to first if Higuain is firing on all cylinders and we delay the signing of a long term striker for another year or two.

Both fullbacks will need improving on and definitely a genuine LCM. Kovacic should be sent back to Madrid IMO and we have got to get someone in who is better.

14 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

If you’re job is to make a credible point that 2 years have made this team are worse bunch than Title contenders,  then you seriously need to rethink that view. 

With the exception of Cahill, no-one has deteriorated that bad. 

I can't take this seriously.  Morata vs Costa.  Willian/PEdro vs themselves 29 is old for an AM, 31 is ancient.  Hazard vs himself.  

14 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

But to act as though he has a terrible bunch to work with, well, I’m afraid that would be very unfair.

I don't think that at all.  But last year we were a 75 point team. This season a 75-80 point team.  Which is great.
Just don't kid anyone we can get 90+ points, let alone compete for the title this season.

I was replying to this:

On 1/22/2019 at 10:54 PM, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Since when does Chelsea aim to cling on to 4th place?

The team that Sarri took over was largely one that almost walked the title 2 years previously. 

Leo91   
1 hour ago, Bridge Soldier said:

Realistically I think Giroud won't be with us. Even with a on form Higuain we need another striker as a rotation option. Michy, Morata and Abraham won't be getting a look in.

A minimum of one midfielder to replace Kovacic if not two. Lets see what happens with Willian and Pedro, offers might come in for them. Zappa might get frustrated and look for a move so he'll have to be replaced with a backup RB. Same issue at CB with Cahill and Christensen.

Some of these replacements with have to be home grown. Feel like we've done the groundwork on Paredes and he'll come in the summer (Brana should have had a word!). Rugani for CB perhaps and Zouma coming back.

kev61   
5 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Really? I wonder what Droy might make of that opinion?

He will have to Google it pete😁