• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

15 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

As I pointed out yesterday, the Telegraph suggested that we'd lodged an appeal but had NOT asked for the punishment to be defered whilst the appeal was being looked into lest the ban be increased from two to three windows. So, we are still currently unable to register new players.

Here's the link again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/05/chelsea-could-forced-start-transfer-ban-summer-fears-will-increased/

Not saying Matt Law is wrong but there is absolutely no precedent for this to happen. All 3 Spanish clubs went to CAS, were allowed to buy players whilst they looked into it,  the bans were upheld but none of them increased. 

It would be strange if the club took the route Law is suggesting as looking at the length of time it took for CAS to conclude all three cases, if it was similar for us, we would miss this window regardless. If they uphold the ban, which seem likely, there would have been no point going to them. If they rule in our favour we probably would have wasted this transfer window, whilst losing our best player and not replacing him.

26 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

As I pointed out yesterday, the Telegraph suggested that we'd lodged an appeal but had NOT asked for the punishment to be defered whilst the appeal was being looked into lest the ban be increased from two to three windows. So, we are still currently unable to register new players.

Here's the link again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/05/chelsea-could-forced-start-transfer-ban-summer-fears-will-increased/

I understand that nobody " asks" for the ban to be delayed as that would be bad form , they delay the ban whist they review the case to stop you being punished for something they later find you were not guilty of . So I think in all sense and purposes they will delay the ban until they rule against us.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2019/6/7/18656223/cas-confirm-chelsea-appeal-of-fifa-transfer-ban-but-not-transfer-ban-freeze

there's a bit in here about us not asking for the ban to be frozen whilst they consider our appeal. 

“For a challenged decision to be stayed during the CAS proceedings, a specific request to this effect must be made. At the time of writing (June 7), a request has not been filed in the Chelsea/FIFA matter. Accordingly, the FIFA decision remains in force.”

CAS statement; source: Football.London

Bizarre. the only precedent so far is the ban being reduced for Real, I think. Has anyone had such a ban increased for a frivolous appeal of these cases.

Edit - I've heard of regulatory bodies such as the FA doing this to avoid frivolous appeals, but never a court. Do they even have the power to increase the ban or is that press speculation?

Edited by Lump Of Celery

^ As I said in a post long ago... FIFA have changed the rules regarding these punishments as well as trying to speed up the system.

Clubs like Barcelona and Athletico Madrid had received bans, but had still managed to get around the bans (at least temporarily) by appealing to CAS. From FIFA's perspective, if a club could delay the ban, then the intended punishment was very much watered down, as the club could "consolidate itself" against a ban it knew was coming.

The whole point of a two window ban is to punish a club for wrong-doing. So, FIFA changed their rules at the start of the 2018 whereby if a club appealed to CAS and asked for a delay in the ban while the appeal was heard, the punnishment for a lost appeal would be an increase in the length of the ban.

Previously, on appeal, both Barca and AM had been found by the CAS to have breached the FIFA rules they had been found guilty of, but (as far as FIFA were concerned) their punishment had been watered down, because the bans hadn't been immediate and both clubs had been able to do transfer business that would see them through the period when they couldn't register new players.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2019/6/7/18656223/cas-confirm-chelsea-appeal-of-fifa-transfer-ban-but-not-transfer-ban-freeze

there's a bit in here about us not asking for the ban to be frozen whilst they consider our appeal. 

“For a challenged decision to be stayed during the CAS proceedings, a specific request to this effect must be made. At the time of writing (June 7), a request has not been filed in the Chelsea/FIFA matter. Accordingly, the FIFA decision remains in force.”

CAS statement; source: Football.London

Blimey .

We're screwed , how on earth the "powers that be" think we can compete in the EPL and CL without more players of quality is beyond me.

47 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Bizarre. the only precedent so far is the ban being reduced for Real, I think. Has anyone had such a ban increased for a frivolous appeal of these cases.

Edit - I've heard of regulatory bodies such as the FA doing this to avoid frivolous appeals, but never a court. Do they even have the power to increase the ban or is that press speculation?

It's FIFA not the CAS that would increase the ban.

Leo91   

I'm being thick. So are we appealing to delay the ban to the January and summer windows of 2020 in order to buy this summer ?

6 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

It's FIFA not the CAS that would increase the ban.

I think it would be CAS that would be determining whether to apply that or not. I know its different elsewhere but if it was UK law the CAS wouldn't be dancing to FIFA's tune and it would be based on previous case law, as far as I know FIFA aren't a legal body so they have rules or terms based on child slavery laws rather than their own laws. The extension would also be for frivolous appeals. Given that the FA ratified the deals I would say we have good reason to appeal, maybe not on all the cases but a lot of them, without it being deemed frivolous. I don't think it is just a blanket extension on all appeals lost. In the UK everybody has the right to appeal any decision all the way up the court system. When you appeal, in order to save the courts time on frivolous appeals, they decide whether you have grounds for an appeal and proceed with it, or they throw it out. It could be that is what we are waiting on and if they indicate we have good grounds we will appeal to have the ban frozen.

Fifa have really fudged it with the timing of their original decision, it would be in everyone's interest including their own to issue decisions on 1st February and 1st September.

paulw66   

There are various sources reporting different things. From what I have also read this morning, there is no way the ban increases to 3 windows unless we have been proved to have commited a further offence. 

We have appealed to CAS on the basis of no wrong doing. we are not asking them to postpone the ban, rather to lift it. On that basis, as with the other clubs, the ban has to be suspended until a judgement is made, otherwise we could end being found not guilty but having already served a ban in this summer window