• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

jangz   
43 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You're not telling me he is on 12m a year? 

Plus, I am not sure it really works that way.......in this current market, he is worth more than £8m, so why sell him for that? 

That's a bit like underselling my house by £20k with the view, well I won't have to pay the monthly mortagage repayments. 

a two year content makes is 6m a year.. 52 weeks means 100+K /week...so not that incorrect mathematically..

paulw66   
45 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

2 years at £6m/year (equals a weekly wage of £115k) plus an £8m fee. £20m in savings. 

34 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

2 year contract... so around £6m+ a year, and it was regarding fans saying "let him rot in the reserves" (sorry, my fault for not including that earlier)

But nothing would prevent us moving him on next summer, when we can buy a replacement. This season it is a £6m saving on the wages, plus the £8m fee. Next summer, let's say you only get a fee of £4m, then the cost of keeping him this season becomes £10m. 

Take it further though, I am fairly certain Tomori would have been loaned out had Luiz stayed, so the actual saving is less whatever we would have earned from a Tomori loan, which would be a loan fee plus a contribution to his wages (£3m a year?*). So the saving becomes peanuts in this year, before you ignore the fact you are replacing Luiz with a weaker, albeit younger, player. 

* bear in mind Mount is now on a reported £80k a week, and Kasey Palmer was on £25k a week, I think we can assume Tomori is somewhere in between the two. £50k a week, £2.5m a year. 

Edit - figures are all fairly hypothetical, just there to illustrate it is not always quite so straight forward. Agree also that it is pointless to let him rot. 

Edited by paulw66

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

That's a bit like underselling my house by £20k with the view, well I won't have to pay the monthly mortagage repayments. 

In some circumstances (I'll confidently guess not circumstances the likes of you and I will ever find ourselves in!) that would genuinely be a sensible plan, though. 

I doubt we're selling because we need the money and I'm not really on board with selling at all, but freeing up a considerable wage on an aged player to be spent in the near-ish future on a younger one is an okay silver-lining. 

I think Tomori is the big loser here; we surely won't loan him out to get the 40+ games he'll want now. 

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

1) Really? How do you know? How did we identify, scout, negotiate with club and player all in one weeks time? I think you read too many tabloids mate, chances are quite big that we knew exactly what was coming and negotiated with Kepa and his old club months in advance. As it stands, Kepa is the better keeper in my view. So well done to the club to get rid and to get Kepa in who can become a truly world class keeper. I expect Courtois is out the door at Real before too long - he has his head up his arse.

2) No, they solved other pressing issues. Without Kovacic and Jorginho we would have had no central midfield. Quite a crucial position don't you agree? Or should the board have signed a player that could solve all our issues? Maybe the problem isn't the board, but rather your expectations? 

3) Rüdiger, Christensen, Zouma, Ampadu - CB4 -> Tomori out on loan. Get it now?

4) No and I have no idea why you insinuate that is what I said. Maybe you are running out of arguments?

5) Literally every manager in the world would prefer other, better players to the ones he has. Even Pep Guardiola. That's not an argument, it's an excuse and a ridiculously poor one at that!

Good. He isn't what we need, seems to not have his head in the right place and is behind Pedro, Willian, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi and maybe even Mount and RLC in the pecking order. 

2 years at £6m/year (equals a weekly wage of £115k) plus an £8m fee. £20m in savings. 

1) So you have a keeper that you are trying to sign to a new contract for 24-18 months with no success. In that time you do not make any real play for another goalkeeper until two-three weeks before the end of the window and then you pay £71m on £190k a week wages for a player with two years experience. Additionally, the player that you buy said he first spoke to the club weeks before not months. Additionally, if he was being scouted for such a long time why did we not sign him in Jan when he has a £18m buy out and was on super low wages and loan him back? 

2) Midfield was a problem but we also needed goals. As Droy has pointed out there was a 4 year gap between Pedro and Pulisic, that is a ridiculous amount of time to go without signing a AM, especially when two of your three AM's do not get double figure league goals. Additionally, Jan 2018, struggling for goals and you can get Dzeko if you pay an extra £5-10m and give him a contract longer than 18 months. What do we do, Giroud for £18m and end up with him for 2.5 years anyway.

3) Not really my point is that Ampadu got loaned out because the club thought Luiz was knocking about. Things have gone south and now they are reacting to the situation as they have not hedged any bets. By the way, how big and strong is Tomori again? Got any clips of his physical feats? 

4) Erm, doesn't Conte get blamed for the change in strategy because, and I quote: 

We still suffer from this butchering of the squad. How he managed to tear down what José built up in 12 months is beyond me. Takes some incompetent petulant man-child to be able to achieve that. 

So what is it? Did he 'tear down' the wonderful squad Jose left him that finished 10th? Because if it is, he must have been picking the transfers and scouting the players to achieve that. 

5) Poch would have been a better example and no, I have said before that his behaviour was not the best but I understood it to a certain extent when you consider the dross he was being served up with and the fact he took us for 10th to 1st. To compare the quality of player Man City have been bringing in to what we have been doing is laughable. 

On a side note to other posters, I do like and rate Kepa but his transfer has been lauded on here like a masterstroke when it actually smacks of panic stations. Additionally, in Summer 2018 we need more players that could get us goals, what did we do, we brought two goalkeepers and two midfielders that do not score of assit much.

Edited by Conte Kante

paulw66   
7 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

1) So you have a keeper that you are trying to sign to a new contract for 24-18 months with no success. In that time you do not make any real play for another goalkeeper until two-three weeks before the end of the window and then you pay £71m on £190k a week wages for a player with two years experience. Additionally, the player that you buy said he first spoke to the club weeks before not months. Additionally, if he was being scouted for such a long time why did we not sign him in Jan when he has a £18m buy out and was on super low wages and loan him back? 

because we had a GK back then 

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

because we had a GK back then 

Who clearly was not going to sign a contract extension, which was also clear by Jan 2018 for about a year. This is my whole point reactive and not proactive. 

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Conte Kante said:

Who clearly was not going to sign a contract extension, which was also clear by Jan 2018 for about a year. This is my whole point reactive and not proactive. 

Who knows what was said behind the scenes. We certainly don't. 

Moreover, buying Courtois in the first place was extremely proactive. Ready made replacement for Cech. Same board. 

7 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

I agree, even if we had signed him Jan 18, not played Courtois and let him go to RM for free we would still be about £18m better off. I'm not sure why some other posters are pretending not to get it. 

Edit - particularly those saying Kepa is an upgrade and a better, younger player etc. Being proactive we could have signed him 6 months earlier and been in profit after selling TC. (And spitefully have ruined TC world cup by dropping him tot he reserves, we have no problem punishing and shipping out other players who don't play ball)

Edited by Lump Of Celery

Leo91   

Considering our rivals signings, if we make top 4, Lampard deserves manager of the year.

Blue Rod   
18 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Considering our rivals signings, if we make top 4, Lampard deserves manager of the year.

Completely agree. Listening to Talksport on my way home, it felt like the most successful English club in Europe of the past 15 years no longer exists. If our youth graduates and  loan returnees cannot find the motivation, then I feel sorry for them.