• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Recommended Posts

Oblak is third best in Spain IMO. Ter Stegen #1 and Courtois looks a beast these days. 

Not sure I would spend the whole transfer budget on a keeper. We can definitely improve LB and CB as well as GK. 

If we can work out a reasonable deal with Atleti for Oblak then great, but if not I hope the club prioritizes signings along the lines of Chilwell and Rice and a much cheaper GK like Andre Onana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob B   
4 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Oblak is third best in Spain IMO. Ter Stegen #1 and Courtois looks a beast these days. 

Not sure I would spend the whole transfer budget on a keeper. We can definitely improve LB and CB as well as GK. 

If we can work out a reasonable deal with Atleti for Oblak then great, but if not I hope the club prioritizes signings along the lines of Chilwell and Rice and a much cheaper GK like Andre Onana.

I know you were only providing those two names as examples, but Chilwell and Rice are going to be upwards of £50m on their own, and I’m not sure the former is actually that much of an upgrade on Alonso. 

I’ve watched a lot of him recently and he’s got a very good engine, but nothing really that stands out?  Certainly not for that money anyway. 

Rice is a very good player but is he Ethan Ampadu, just two years ahead?  Where does he come in and immediately improve us?  I’m not sure he displaces Kante or Kovacic in midfield, and no one has seen him at centre back in the premier league to know if he is that commanding leader we crave. 

Therefore, for me, we need to prioritise signings that give us the biggest improvement on what we currently have;  If Oblak is genuinely available, he is a huge improvement on Kepa and we should go all out.  He is a captain and a leader too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we buy Onana it's a clear message that we no longer have any scouting network and are totally reliant on players agents approaching us agitating for a big money move , a cursory search of YouTube can show you all the saves he's made in the Eridivisie this season , a league on par or below of our Championship , and he is a teflon goalkeeper , nothing sticks to him .I watched as much as I could stomach of the first video there and was horrified by the amount of times the ball just hits him and bounces back into the area. 

In the Premier League with Christensen in front of him goals are practically guaranteed.

It would be a recipe for disaster .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
14 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

If we buy Onana it's a clear message that we no longer have any scouting network and are totally reliant on players agents approaching us agitating for a big money move , a cursory search of YouTube can show you all the saves he's made in the Eridivisie this season , a league on par or below of our Championship , and he is a teflon goalkeeper , nothing sticks to him .I watched as much as I could stomach of the first video there and was horrified by the amount of times the ball just hits him and bounces back into the area. 

In the Premier League with Christensen in front of him goals are practically guaranteed.

It would be a recipe for disaster .

If it is Onana plus a LB or Oblak and no LB, I would go Oblak all day long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top Draw commanding CB should be the priority 

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rob B said:

I know you were only providing those two names as examples, but Chilwell and Rice are going to be upwards of £50m on their own, and I’m not sure the former is actually that much of an upgrade on Alonso. 

I’ve watched a lot of him recently and he’s got a very good engine, but nothing really that stands out?  Certainly not for that money anyway. 

Rice is a very good player but is he Ethan Ampadu, just two years ahead?  Where does he come in and immediately improve us?  I’m not sure he displaces Kante or Kovacic in midfield, and no one has seen him at centre back in the premier league to know if he is that commanding leader we crave. 

Therefore, for me, we need to prioritise signings that give us the biggest improvement on what we currently have;  If Oblak is genuinely available, he is a huge improvement on Kepa and we should go all out.  He is a captain and a leader too. 

Disagree on Chilwell. I like him. He's quick and already playing for a side at a high level and is a real upgrade on Alonso/Emerson/Azpili - would give us a nice balance to the side as well.

As for Declan Rice, if reports are true and Lamps sees him as a CB then I think it would be a good move because he's very strong and good with the ball at the feet and I think he is a good reader of the game and a leader as well.

As for Oblak, well, everyone would be an improvement on Kepa to be perfectly blunt. He is a good keeper no doubt but for that fee he would wreck our transfer budget.

A keeper alone isn't enough for us. We need an improvement of the defensive line.

Kepa is not very good, agreed, but nobody will do well if teams are can rip through our defenders at will. We haven't had top defenders for years. Conte overcame that by compensating for their shortcomings with his ultra-defensive set-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
10 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Disagree on Chilwell. I like him. He's quick and already playing for a side at a high level and is a real upgrade on Alonso/Emerson/Azpili - would give us a nice balance to the side as well.

As for Declan Rice, if reports are true and Lamps sees him as a CB then I think it would be a good move because he's very strong and good with the ball at the feet and I think he is a good reader of the game and a leader as well.

As for Oblak, well, everyone would be an improvement on Kepa to be perfectly blunt. He is a good keeper no doubt but for that fee he would wreck our transfer budget.

A keeper alone isn't enough for us. We need an improvement of the defensive line.

Kepa is not very good, agreed, but nobody will do well if teams are can rip through our defenders at will. We haven't had top defenders for years. Conte overcame that by compensating for their shortcomings with his ultra-defensive set-up.

I dont see Chilwell as much of an upgrade - and certainly not for the fee they would want. Ditto Rice, to be honest. 

Your point about the defence is right.......perhaps with better forwards lined up next season, we can sfford to be more defensive minded in the knowledge Werner and Ziyech will be more creative / efficient / effective in the final 3rd 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I dont see Chilwell as much of an upgrade - and certainly not for the fee they would want. Ditto Rice, to be honest. 

Your point about the defence is right.......perhaps with better forwards lined up next season, we can sfford to be more defensive minded in the knowledge Werner and Ziyech will be more creative / efficient / effective in the final 3rd 

In total agreement about Chilwell , I'd be tempting Arsenal for Tierney or even getting Van Arnholt back from Palace , his defending has improved and he's great going forwards  , Rice is a strange one as the rumours don't go away , but I saw some stats from the recent game that they won and although you can prove or disprove anything with stats , they were impressive , it was stuff like , most chances created , most interceptions , most tackles, most headers etc .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob B   
1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Disagree on Chilwell. I like him. He's quick and already playing for a side at a high level and is a real upgrade on Alonso/Emerson/Azpili - would give us a nice balance to the side as well.

As for Declan Rice, if reports are true and Lamps sees him as a CB then I think it would be a good move because he's very strong and good with the ball at the feet and I think he is a good reader of the game and a leader as well.

As for Oblak, well, everyone would be an improvement on Kepa to be perfectly blunt. He is a good keeper no doubt but for that fee he would wreck our transfer budget.

A keeper alone isn't enough for us. We need an improvement of the defensive line.

Kepa is not very good, agreed, but nobody will do well if teams are can rip through our defenders at will. We haven't had top defenders for years. Conte overcame that by compensating for their shortcomings with his ultra-defensive set-up.

Chilwell is very similar to Emerson in my opinion.  At initial viewing he is quick, and easy on the eye, but doesn't really have any stand-out characteristics.  In fact he has less goals than Alonso in about double the game-time, with the same number of assists (3) this season, playing for a team who are about on par in the table.  Alonso has some very obvious flaws, but he's a very good goal threat and about 10cm taller than Chilwell which shouldn't be a criteria when picking a Left-Back, but is quite important currently!  I've come to the conclusion that whilst he's certainly a good player,  he is overrated because he is young and English.. 

Regarding Rice, we have plenty of players that are good on the ball - namely Rudiger, Tomori, Chistensen and longer-term even Guehi and Ampadu; what we miss is a Maguire, Cahill, Dunk, Soyuncu sort of player that is a commanding leader and will stick their head in where it hurts.  Rice may well be that player, but I'm not sure he's the best that is out there for the money.  He isn't even playing in defence currently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only players coming in are the one approved by the transfer committee. Can't see Rice or Chillwell coming. Top draw CB is the priority then probably an imported LB from somewhere in Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now