• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Leo91    106

Just watched a Nick Pope 19/20 compilation (be interesting to see a goals conceded compilation video for GK's). Not that many ''great'' saves actually. But he positions himself really well which means he's doesn't need to make hollywood dives for the cameras. Uses his frame to block and save the majority of shots. Not sure about this season but for 18/19 I'm reading he had the highest claimed crosses by a wide margin. That's two outstanding seasons back to back for him in the league (going by hearsay, again I don't watch football regularly other than us). The only question mark in my mind would be adjusting to a team who play in a different style to Burnley, he will be expected to use his feet a lot more. 

Mark Kelly    927
33 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Just watched a Nick Pope 19/20 compilation (be interesting to see a goals conceded compilation video for GK's). Not that many ''great'' saves actually. But he positions himself really well which means he's doesn't need to make hollywood dives for the cameras. Uses his frame to block and save the majority of shots. Not sure about this season but for 18/19 I'm reading he had the highest claimed crosses by a wide margin. That's two outstanding seasons back to back for him in the league (going by hearsay, again I don't watch football regularly other than us). The only question mark in my mind would be adjusting to a team who play in a different style to Burnley, he will be expected to use his feet a lot more. 

I should imagine he gets a helluva lot more protection from his Centre backs than he would here too.

39 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

There are definitely cheaper options than Oblak right here in the league. Nick Pope is certainly a decent keeper. Very solid.

Interestingly, SFL was asked today to compare Kepa and Allisson and what he looks for in a GK, and he quite bluntly said he just wants a guy who can stop the ball from going into the net.

I think that's the situation the club is in at the moment. It maybe doesn't have to be a world-beater like Allisson or Ter Stegen but it certainly has to be someone who does the basic things well (stops shots and commands his area well enough to deal with aerial threats).

Nick Pope looks decent IMO. I think any consistent keeper right now would be a good bet.

The shocking part about Kepa's recruitment is that we did an excellent job identifying Courtois. Courtois when he came here was ready to oust a waning Petr Cech. But I can't wrap my head around what on earth we "identified" in Kepa.

Rob B    98

I suggested Nick Pope or Aaron Ramsdale a week or so back - both very competent goalies. 

I’m really not meaning to stick the knife into Kepa but most of the PL GKs would be an upgrade - Patricio, McCarthy, Henderson, both of Arsenal’s GKs, Schmiechel etc and that’s just in the PL - I guess it’ll depend on the club’s appetite on how drastically they want to improve that position - I.e. Nick Pope for £35m or Oblak for £100m.

As long as it’s not DDG, Pickford or Lloris I’m fairly relaxed! 

paulw66    523
12 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I suggested Nick Pope or Aaron Ramsdale a week or so back - both very competent goalies. 

I’m really not meaning to stick the knife into Kepa but most of the PL GKs would be an upgrade - Patricio, McCarthy, Henderson, both of Arsenal’s GKs, Schmiechel etc and that’s just in the PL - I guess it’ll depend on the club’s appetite on how drastically they want to improve that position - I.e. Nick Pope for £35m or Oblak for £100m.

Rewind 24 months and these three were the golden boys of GKs in the PL. Funny how quickly things change

Whoever is in goal next year, if we continue to allow free headers from 6 yards, we will continue to ship goals. 

chelboy    151
43 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Lloris? He’s quality. One of the best shot stoppers . Pickford has been overrated since his Sunderland days. English media hyped him up cause he was comfortable on the ball. DDG is doing a Ozil and Alexis. Big bumper contracts for players that wanted to leave is always risky. Not surprised his mind is elsewhere. 

But I agree majority of GK’s in the PL are an upgrade. Thing about our next GK is that they have to be good enough for top 4 level. Doesn’t have to be elite but good enough for a top 4 team. We are going to have spent £100M on GK’s combined and if both aren’t good enough  to be long term solutions then that would be some awful investment. Other teams have sorted their GK’s for the next 5 years by spending less than £40M. 

chelboy    151
1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Interestingly, SFL was asked today to compare Kepa and Allisson and what he looks for in a GK, and he quite bluntly said he just wants a guy who can stop the ball from going into the net.

The shocking part about Kepa's recruitment is that we did an excellent job identifying Courtois. Courtois when he came here was ready to oust a waning Petr Cech. But I can't wrap my head around what on earth we "identified" in Kepa.

Sounds like a manager that is desperate for a new GK. Basically saying he isn’t doing the basic shot stopping thats needed. 

The whole Kepa/Alisson transfer thing was strange. We seemed to be after Allisson but didn’t want to pay a fee despite being able to bid higher than Liverpool . People can say we weren’t in CL but I don’t think that had anything to do with it. We could have offered him twice the amount that he earns at Liverpool plus we already had well established Brazilians in our squad which Liverpool didn’t . But then we go for a GK who is stylistically very different to Allisson in every way and give him a 7 year deal. It’s very strange. Still feel like we need to know who exactly picked Kepa and what they saw in him to not only pay such a fee but be confident he would become an elite GK and well suited to a physical PL. 

Have we still got first dibs on ake?

good enough for man city BUT deemed not good enough for Chelsea..

you can't tell me our 4 centerhalfs are better then him

2 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

The shocking part about Kepa's recruitment is that we did an excellent job identifying Courtois. Courtois when he came here was ready to oust a waning Petr Cech. 

We spent 3 years watching him at AM

paulw66    523
13 hours ago, Never happy said:

Have we still got first dibs on ake?

good enough for man city BUT deemed not good enough for Chelsea..

you can't tell me our 4 centerhalfs are better then him

Don't think Ake would solve any of our problems, and wont solve theirs either. 

Both sides need a replacement for a Kompany / JT. Ake is a player to play with one of those