• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

chelboy   
34 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Not a fan of Chilwell, he is of similar defensive ability to Alonso but with a better engine but lacks Alonso's goal scoring, crossing is probably a bit better. For me, this should only be happening for £35m or less. To be fair, Alonso isn't actually that bad at defending, his problem is that he is so slow so once someone gets in behind him he is scrambling as he cannot catch up. If he was faster I do not think we would really being having a discussion about a LB. 

That said, the fee needs to be reasonable. LB is actually a reasonable market you have Telles at £20-25m (he is similar to a Belletti type FB, which is kind of what most people want these days), Tags at Ajax for a similar price (I am not sold on him in the PL as he is too lightweight) and Rugulion from Real/Sevilla at £25-£30m who is very promising and have just been voted La Liga's best LB. 

Anything over £35m and we've been had. Personally, I would take either Telles or Rugulion above him. 

I think he’s better than Alonso but I don’t think Chilwell is the best value for money LB we can get. I'm guessing the fee is over £50M. When Alonso isn’t getting into the box or shooting then he is pretty much a passenger. Chilwell is better at wide play, especially with timing his overlaps and crossing. Defensively he isn’t that good and will need to learn that side of his game. I still see it as an upgrade that was needed but just not sure the price is worth it. Only time will tell. The best thing about him is that he is already PL proven. 

chelboy   
42 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Never mind Alonso - how does he compare with Alphonso?

Not many can compare to Davies. Top talent.  Bayern are lucky to have two top LB’s that can play together. 

Emerson Palmieri sold to Inter Milan for £18m.

Apparently the figure being discussed for Chilwell, is a world-record fee for a left back. Not sure what the current record is, and I’m really not sure about Chilwell as I’ve not seen much of him, but have to say I admire the statement of intent.

Bison   

According to Wikipedia, Bayern signed Davies for $13.5m. What an absolute steal. Chilwell for 80m anybody?

7 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Emerson Palmieri sold to Inter Milan for £18m.

Poor old Conte - that's twice he has been shafted with Emerson..

7 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Apparently the figure being discussed for Chilwell, is a world-record fee for a left back. Not sure what the current record is, and I’m really not sure about Chilwell as I’ve not seen much of him, but have to say I admire the statement of intent.

From a year ago    That implies Mendy has the record at City for £52m.  Not impossible.  But very often "world record fee" hints are often ways of explaining why a promised (by the tipster) deal did not come through.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Rob B   

Interested to know what others think about the age of the players we’ve signed or are being heavily linked with. 

Werner is 24, Havertz 21, Chilwell 23, Declan Rice 21 which clearly all make great business sense,  but we’ve already lost Pedro and Willian, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jorginho leave too.   Add those to the likes of Pulisic, James and Mount who’ll remain key players for us next year, and we could have the youngest team in Europe. 

I hope we’re not in danger of being too inexperienced, whereby because the club have still (possibly) spent big they expect instant results.  You could just see Frank building a worldly team but not being afforded the time to see the fruits of his labour in 2/3 years time for example. 

Wonder if we should be looking at the likes of Oblak, Gimenez, Dunk, Koulibaly etc to add some much-needed balance?

Edited by Rob B
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rob B said:

Interested to know what others think about the age of the players we’ve signed or are being heavily linked with. 

Werner is 24, Havertz 21, Chilwell 23, Declan Rice 21 which clearly all make great business sense,  but we’ve already lost Pedro and Willian, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jorginho leave too.   Add those to the likes of Pulisic, James and Mount who’ll remain key players for us next year, and we could have the youngest team in Europe. 

I hope we’re not in danger of being too inexperienced, whereby because the club have still (possibly) spent big they expect instant results.  You could just see Frank building a worldly team but not being afforded the time to see the fruits of his labour in 2/3 years time for example. 

Wonder if we should be looking at the likes of Oblak, Gimenez, Dunk, Koulibaly etc to add some much-needed balance?

It's not so much the age/inexperience that concerns me - for their ages, some of those players have a decent amount of experience already, but what does worry me is a massive lack of leadership still. Of all the players you mention first (and Ziyech too), only Rice really strikes me as a leader and I really feel we lack leadership in our squad. Azpi is a top professional and clearly highly respected in the club by players and staff, but not really a warrior type leader, Jorginho is a good organiser, in the sense that you can see he has a good awareness of where people need to be etc, but again he's not exactly going to lead anyone into battle. Outside of those 2, I don't see any leaders of any type and I really think this is a big part of why we were so fragile last season.

Obviously we were massively blessed, but think back to when we had a squad full of leaders, at one point we had 7 international captains; Cech, Terry, Ivanovic, Mikel, Essien, Ballack and Drogba and add to that the likes of Carvalho & Lampard, we always had a core of players on the pitch ready for battle, ready to lead and would not allow those around them to drop their heads... now it's very different. Who do the players look to on the pitch when it's starting to go wrong?

I would hope the club will look to bring in someone like Dunk to help fill that role, as well as Rice, to give us a bit of grit and personality again.

Kezza   

I read Havertz is kind of a leader. Captain of Leverkusen at 20? If he comes he'll add a bit of leadership I reckon. But yeah the team is without a backbone and authority most of the time.

Ham   

This bloke is generally reliable. 

(Simon Phillips, I mean, not necessarily Chilwell)