• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Bison   

Watching the Man City game and every single outfield player of theirs is able to receive the ball under pressure, on the half-turn, dribble and pass all at a high level. They all seem  fairly athletic too (none of them are weak and/or slow in the extreme like Jorginho or Alonso for example).

I get it, they have ridiculous money so should be able to build this type of team but then we have spent money too (lots of it) and don't have anywhere near this level of quality or ability throughout the team. Frustrating.

Edited by Bison

chelboy   
1 hour ago, Bison said:

Watching the Man City game and every single outfield player of theirs is able to receive the ball under pressure, on the half-turn, dribble and pass all at a high level. They all seem  fairly athletic too (none of them are weak and/or slow in the extreme like Jorginho or Alonso for example).

I get it, they have ridiculous money so should be able to build this type of team but then we have spent money too (lots of it) and don't have anywhere near this level of quality or ability throughout the team. Frustrating.

That tends to be what happens when you have a director of football working alongside a manager building a good  project. They had a decent project before Pep but once he came through they built a team that would likely dominate for 5-8 years. Most of those players are Pellegrini’s or Pep’s. We have Conte, Sarri, Frank, the board and academy players in our team. The academy players are probably the best part of all that lot in terms of cost and quality. Lots of different styles from all our recent managers have given us the team we have now along with wonderful signings from the board such as Kepa. We had a 5 year advantage on City but they are likely to overtake our PL trophies in 1 or 2 seasons. We still have the CL over them though...for now. 

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Maybe it's a matter of opinion and perspective but I see Jorginho and Kova doing this all the time. Both are quality on the ball. I think Jorginho's calm demeanor on the pitch really works against him when it comes to fans forming their opinions. He regularly receives the ball, turns, draws opponents in before releasing the ball perfectly to a team mate. He's certainly not the most athletic though I'll give you that

Edited by Tammy's right foot

7 hours ago, chelboy said:

That tends to be what happens when you have a director of football working alongside a manager building a good  project. They had a decent project before Pep but once he came through they built a team that would likely dominate for 5-8 years. Most of those players are Pellegrini’s or Pep’s. We have Conte, Sarri, Frank, the board and academy players in our team. The academy players are probably the best part of all that lot in terms of cost and quality. Lots of different styles from all our recent managers have given us the team we have now along with wonderful signings from the board such as Kepa. We had a 5 year advantage on City but they are likely to overtake our PL trophies in 1 or 2 seasons. We still have the CL over them though...for now. 

Yes - consistency and a target of how the team should play with what type of players will do that for you. 

I completely agree with you. If Pep came here he would have been sacked after his first season with us (he finished 3rd). And City had a team far better suited to his style than what we had. Long-term we need to get a manager in that can build something sustainable. 

Look at our side, just as you say, a complete mismash of various player types with different styles. 

City has basically done the opposite to what Roman and his team did. They will absolutely be more successful than us over time - no question about it. 

From memory City had a clear plan from about two or three seasons before Pep joined where they put in "Pep friendly" executives and DOF's in the club and started buying the type of players that Pep would like to work with , He was obviously tapped up well before he joined but , this is essentially what they did.

I think I like our version of an accountant , two lawyers and a CEO far better , why let football get in the way of running a business? 

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

If Pep came here he would have been sacked after his first season with us (he finished 3rd).

Like JM mk2, or Ranieri or Lampard.

41 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

From memory City had a clear plan from about two or three seasons

And the kind of money we had only had up to about 2010 (or 2020)

Edited by Droy was my hero

Ham   

I see we've all conveniently forgotten/forgiven how ADFC got where they are now. 

For the record I think our squad is far better than Chelsea fans give credit for. We have a habit of putting ourselves down and any of our achievements whilst applauding our rivals without question. 

paulw66   
37 minutes ago, Ham said:

I see we've all conveniently forgotten/forgiven how ADFC got where they are now. 

For the record I think our squad is far better than Chelsea fans give credit for. We have a habit of putting ourselves down and any of our achievements whilst applauding our rivals without question. 

Quite.

All this talk about projects, tactics etc.............bottom line, they have spent more money on full backs than most other teams have spent on their entire squad. 

Sciatika   

I think when we consider the possibility of Liverpool, Spurs or Man Utd winning, then Man City seems to be a preferable option. Obviously, Arsenal is no longer a risk in that respect.

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I think when we consider the possibility of Liverpool, Spurs or Man Utd winning, then Man City seems to be a preferable option. Obviously, Arsenal is no longer a risk in that respect.

Yeah, I don't actually mind the Manchester clubs. I find their supporters (by this I mean the ones that actually go to games / real fans) are by and large reasonable and you can always have a good discussion about football with them. Dippers and Spuds, not so much. 

Edited by King Kante