• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
53 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sorry this is all post hoc b/s.

Again not as I recall - in anycase we bought Torres that January - that suggests we never intended to buy Aguero.
I don't recall at the time, anyone linking us with Aguero, just a hell of a lot of "I told you soes" a year or two later.
(and quite a few who claimed how they had always said we should have outbid AM for him as an 18 yo).

we were heavily linked with Aguero before he went to City. 

37 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think you are going to regret that - probably before the end of the season.

Depends on what the definition of success is. Some will be happy with goals and tenuous assists next to his name as a definition of how successful he is.

I'll need for more than that to convince me. 

I'll counter it with 'he's already proven himself to me' because I think you are going to regret that one far more.

It's far easier to attach a stat to someone and use that as a positive or a negative. I'll believe my own eyes every time first and foremost though.

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sorry this is all post hoc b/s.

Again not as I recall - in anycase we bought Torres that January - that suggests we never intended to buy Aguero.
I don't recall at the time, anyone linking us with Aguero, just a hell of a lot of "I told you soes" a year or two later.
(and quite a few who claimed how they had always said we should have outbid AM for him as an 18 yo).

I don't think press reports mean anything at all so perhaps we never were interested in Aguero, but certainly we were very heavily linked in the mainstream press. Vaguely recall us beating Atletico 3 or 4-1 at home in the CL group @Mark Kelly is referring to and chatting to someone in the ground about it then. My recollection does differ to @Martin1905, though. I have in my head we were out of the race by the time we signed Torres because Aguero was too expensive, even more so than Torres was. Might have invented that over time but it's the press narrative I recall and does make some sense, even if counterintuitive. As you say, Atletico had paid a huge sum for him as a teen and he would have wanted a very long, well paid contract. 

Tevez is the Argentine I really wanted in that earlier 2010s period. I think I just wanted a fierce, pressing, scoring b*st*rd. Costa sorted that fix for me for a while but I could go for a player like that again!

From recollection it was at SB and we were cruising two a 2-0 victory when they brought him on and he scored two almost immediately. Drink may have been taken though. 

Edit Just looked it up it was group stages 2009 he scored the first Drogba got two and he then got the equaliser 

Edited by Mark Kelly

50 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

we were heavily linked with Aguero before he went to City. 

"we were linked" - we usually are.  But did anyone really think we would buy Torres in January and Aguero in May?  With Drogba still on the books?

12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

From recollection it was at SB and we were cruising two a 2-0 victory when they brought him on and he scored two almost immediately. Drink may have been taken though. 

Just checked; the 2-2 was in Madrid. We beat them 4-0 at our place, I'd invented them scoring.

Bizarrely I remember the game I watched in the pub (by Fulham Broadway tube, was an Aussie-themed one at the time, no idea what it's called now!) better than the one I was in the ground and sober for!

paulw66   
11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Edit Just looked it up it was group stages 2009 he scored the first Drogba got two and he then got the equaliser 

Yes, I remember it was Aguero 2, Drogba 2. 

A direct free kick and a volley from him

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/01/25/2323219/chelsea-offered-52m-for-sergio-aguero-and-diego-godin-and-we

I think its this that I rememebr from the time, it was reported on 25th January 2011 a few days beforw we signed Torres and David Luiz.

It is a lovely quote.  But is he really saying we made a definite offer for Godin and Aguero just a week before bought Luiz and torres.
and is he really saying he turned down an offer for Aguero from RM that seems to be more than city paid in the summer.
And is he really saying he won't negotiate with any club for Aguero now or in the summer (he sells Aguero in the summer).

More than enough to start the media rolling.  But would have been justified by simply a single call from Marina asking if either were available.
There is no libel involved in saying big club X was interested in big player Y.  He can say what he wants.

In the end press speculation is very very cheap.  And deals that fail early are much more readily revealed that deals that actually will happen.  We bought Torres and Luiz.

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/01/25/2323219/chelsea-offered-52m-for-sergio-aguero-and-diego-godin-and-we

I think its this that I rememebr from the time, it was reported on 25th January 2011 a few days beforw we signed Torres and David Luiz.

That story does ring a bell, guess I read it at the time also.

Think DWMH has beat me to it, but clearly we should take the quote with a huge pinch of salt given what Gil said he wouldn't do and what we know very well he did just a few months later. 

2009 ... Bloody hell, I feel old.