• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I doubt anyone thinks Cech is still better than Kepa, just as no one seems to think that Caballero, who has been training throughout, was any better than Kepa, even when Kepa was in a trough.  Cab's had 8 PL/CL starts under SFL, Kepa had 44.  Kepa has been 2nd choice with barely any exceptions.

It might mean that there was some thought of Kepa going off on loan in January, or perhaps his relationship with SFL was really poor, so Cech stepped up until "something could be sorted out".  
Or it might mean that Cech/Marina wanted Cech on the training pitch to keep a surreptitious eye on things.

Does anyone know if Cech is still training with the playing squad?  He wasn't on the bench against AM (GK4, but there were plenty of empty seats) and only played once for U23s in December.

I would take Cech over Kepa. Realise it is a massive risk as Cech was last seen in a competitive match in 2018, but Kepa has been dire for the past 18 months. Furthermore, with the way we are set up we need a GK that can come and collect/deal with high balls as their key attribute. Both Kepa and Willy are poor at those, even when playing at their best. 

Cech didn't look up to much whenever I saw him in his last Arsenal season (even considering their defending and an actually fairly decent Europa League final performance aside). Not a chance I'd take him now over anyone who has actually played professionally in the last 2 years. Kepa's miles ahead of him, seems bizarre to me to suggest otherwise.

Kepa of course will never be as good as Cech on his day, but then basically no one is.

Kezza   

I read there's a option to buy for Tomori's loan. If that's the case we have not learnt anything from the past. And as it stands Tomori is playing like a beast at Milan. One of the many outcasted by the previous manager.

Diddymen   
7 minutes ago, Kezza said:

I read there's a option to buy for Tomori's loan. If that's the case we have not learnt anything from the past. And as it stands Tomori is playing like a beast at Milan. One of the many outcasted by the previous manager.

there will come a point when we need to start selling players who can actually make a few bob (not drinkwater et al..) - so I wouldnt be surprised if we sell Tomori. Saying that, I can't see AC Milan spending that much money on a player. 

Edited by Diddymen

41 minutes ago, Kezza said:

He is 23.  Why would he go to Italy if there were no incentive to play him. If the option is £25 + £5m, that is not far from the most we could expect to sell him for.

So no Haaland by the looks of it, but we're now looking to resign .....Lukuku, another player not given a fair chance here

Rob B   
3 minutes ago, Worsebytheday said:

So no Haaland by the looks of it, but we're now looking to resign .....Lukuku, another player not given a fair chance here

I could more than live with Lukaku.  He’s about as close as you can get to guaranteed goals as there is in world football.  Not mentally frail, can play against low and high blocks, and feels like he has unfinished business here.

Now whether he would represent good value for money given how much he would likely cost and the fact he is almost 28, I’ll let the club decide! 

9 minutes ago, Worsebytheday said:

Lukaku was given more than a fair chance but so overweight here that you can hardly expect him to have been picked.  He was obscenely heavy for a young man.
(But he was stitched up by club and/or agent in not getting a first season loan).

Why do you think any rumour coming out in March about transfers has any credibility whatsoever?

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Why do you think any rumour coming out in March about transfers has any credibility whatsoever?

I thought you were the sole exponent on here of the theory that when a deal is done in the January window the club's had been thrashing out the deal months in advance ? Perhaps that's the case here .

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I thought you were the sole exponent on here of the theory that when a deal is done in the January window the club's had been thrashing out the deal months in advance ? Perhaps that's the case here .

Hardly the sole exponent -  that is surely what everyone thinks.

But all I am saying here is that March transfer rumours are almost never accurate, and no one cares because nobody ever takes them seriously.