• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Be interesting to see what Roman does this season in regards to funds and what we can do with the squad. Personally, I think we are very close to competing for the league but do need to make a few adjustments to get more consistency in the side. For me, the key issues with the side are as follows: 

1) Goal scoring CF. This is an incredibly tough position to do anything at. Kane and Lukaku in my opinion aren't options for a variety of reasons. Håland is incredibly expensive and if you're going to spend that sort of money you want more of a track record. Kun looks like a shadow of himself, Lewa is not leaving Bayern. Personally, I think we may have to go Harvetz as false No.9 next year or take a punt on Andre Silva (who I don't really rate) as he apparently has a €30m buy out. 

2) Non- funsized CM/DM. This needs to be addressed as teams like WBA know they can out muscle us, whilst we are one of the only top European sides without one. This however will mean a decision needs to be made on Jorgi/Gilmour. Personally, I like Jorgi and have defended him in the past (although not quite to Droy levels), however I do see a situation where if a team offers £40m+ he will be sold to fund the bigger CM. If Jorgi stays, then I think Gilmour gets loaned to a PL team (Brighton would be ideal imo.) 

As for who we should buy, I quite like the idea of SMS as technically he has two really good feet and he can score and assist. My worry with him is his stamina and pace as he could end up looking lost. After him, I would want a player like: Nditi or Rice, however both of those would be eye bleedingly expensive owing to where they are and their contracts. 

3) LCB - Personally, I think a left footed CB is always a good idea to open up more angles, especially when you play 3atb. Problem here is numbers however. For me, Tomori will have his contract activated whilst I can see Zouma being sold as he isn't a natural fit in a ball playing side. Fortunately for us those two players would raise some decent cash. 

The issue then is finding the right player. In my opinion, Guehi may actually get a crack in the squad but as a CB4/5 who can be rotated in over the course of the season. However, if the club do not fancy that, then things get a little bit tougher. Only option I really see is Torres at Villareal, however not sure he is of the right level. 

GK2 - Mendy is off to the ACoN in January. This is a bit of an issue as we do not know if Kepa will go into a meltdown confidence wise again. In my opinion, the best thing for all parties is for Kepa to get a loan to try and play week in, week out, whilst we get someone like Arreola who has experience of being a back up GK and is of a good level. 

16 minutes ago, King Kante said:

1 I think we may have to go Harvetz as false No.9 next year or take a punt on Andre Silva (who I don't really rate) as he apparently has a €30m buy out. 

Why not just leave him as a striker where he is?

Never heard Firminho called a false 9.  Or Werner.  Or the recent Kane.  I guess people only want to apply it to ex-midfield players.

19 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Be interesting to see what Roman does this season in regards to funds and what we can do with the squad.

I think there is money for the right player, but it has to be a guaranteed starting player, not just adding even more wasted strength to the bench.

CF:  I suspect Tammy and Giroud are gone.  And Haaland, Mbappe, Lukaku and Neymar are the only strikers I can think that would automatically start in our front line,  the goals will come and I wouldn't pick a City striker ahead of ours.  
I guess Haaland or nothing.  And ironically if we wanted just a backup player, Bats would perfectly compliment the others - crap in everything except finishing.

CM : in all the games where Gilmour has started for TT, either Mount has been rested or he played alongside Billy.  I conclude that the pecking order for CM then is now Kante/Jorginho, then Kovacic, then Mount removed from front 3 and only lastly Gilmour.  We have also had I think one whole game and lots of short spells with Mount effectively as CM3.
In other words we have enough CMs even with Billy on loan.  Only Jorginho I think gets called fun-size, and then mostly by people who don't get it.
Especially with 3 at the back and Conte or TT like coaching, one of the back three is always going to follow if a big striker tries to drop into the CM space.
So I don't think we do need a big CM.  And certainly not a back up anyone.  And I'm not sure even Rice would command a place in the current team.

As for selling players for £40m, who is going to pay that now?  £40m gets you an in form Werner.  Only City seem to have that kind of money for anything less than a Haaland or Neymar.

CB:  Zouma another year and then one of Sarr, Guehi or Ampadu to add to the first team squad.  Mostly (Gilmour aside) the club has been too wise to burden the coach with players that would be better off getting regular games elsewhere or players who are just not up to scratch (irrespective of wages).  I think that continues.

GK.  I see no issues, only competition.

@Droy was my hero Fermino is often referred to as a false nine . It's a daft term but he's always being referred as one . 

Ham   
44 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

@Droy was my hero Fermino is often referred to as a false nine . It's a daft term but he's always being referred as one . 

I've always thought that "false 9" was used when you had recognised strikers but didn't use them. 

Alonso would make an excellent false 9.  Hazard was one on occasions. 

I'm honestly not sure we actually need to buy anyone, providing we don't lose any players. I'd really love if we could get Tammy to sign a new contract and integrate him back in. Giroud will go and I'd expect an Aguero type replacement. I wouldn't turn down a Haaland/Lukaku however really not sure its needed with Havertz playing so well. The fluid front three is a nightmare for defenders and we'd lose this quality with pure 9.

Perhaps Zouma goes and Tomori returns, I'd be fine with that. Possibly a new back up LB but we've really struggled to get rid of Alonso and Emerson for a long time now. Either is fine as back up. 

Gilmour surely goes on loan so maybe we are a bit light there. Whoever we bring in however is probably going to play a similar amount of minutes. Mount as the 4th choice CM is fine anyway. Gallagher would be great for us in the double 6 however coming back now wouldn't be great for his development. 

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

Ham   
1 minute ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

I'm honestly not sure we actually need to buy anyone, providing we don't lose any players. I'd really love if we could get Tammy to sign a new contract and integrate him back in. Giroud will go and I'd expect an Ageuro type replacement. I wouldn't turn down a Haaland/Lukaku however really not sure its needed with Havertz playing so well. The fluid front three is a nightmare for defenders and we'd lose this quality with pure 9.

Perhaps Zouma goes and Tomori returns, I'd be fine with that. Possibly a new back up LB but we've really struggled to get rid of Alonso and Emerson for a long time now. Either is fine as back up. 

Gilmour surely goes on loan so maybe we are a bit light there. Whoever we bring in however is probably going to play a similar amount of minutes. Mount as the 4th choice CM is fine anyway. Gallagher would be great for us in the double 6 however coming back now wouldn't be great for his development. 

I've said it before.  I think Gilmour is already better than Gallagher. The latter appears to get better the less you actually watch him.  

I'd keep Gilmour, ingrain Tommyball into him and use him as much as needed. A natural successor to Jorginho or Kante eventually.    

54 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I haven't seen it, and I think the rarity is precisely because he is not thought of as a midfielder.
I think to be fair though, Mane and Salah do often get a long way ahead of Firminho, in a way that Mount/Pulisic/Ziyech or Werner don't get ahead of Werner.
It would be less wrong to call Firminho a false 9 than Havertz.

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

I've always thought that "false 9" was used when you had recognised strikers but didn't use them. 

Alonso would make an excellent false 9.  Hazard was one on occasions. 

Nothing to do with that (though media often make that error).
It is about playing the nominal 9 in a deeper role than the other guys besides him.  A V-shape  not a ᴧ- shape (not a flat line nor ordinary rotation).

Hazard played a real 9. Or just a short 9.   Alonso might make a real one one.  

14 minutes ago, Ham said:

I've said it before.  I think Gilmour is already better than Gallagher. The latter appears to get better the less you actually watch him.  

I'd keep Gilmour, ingrain Tommyball into him and use him as much as needed. A natural successor to Jorginho or Kante eventually.    

Then surely all the more important to get him out on loan.
mind he'll have the same problem that he has at Cobham.  Most managers won't trust a player that young and small at CM.  They'll trust a big lad who is going to be a CB like Ampadu or young Luiz.  But they'll want to put a little guy like Gilmour out on the wing.

To my mind I see no technical difference between Mount and Gilmour other than age and experience and feel Mount is just as suited to Jorginho's role as Gilmour and is bigger (less small).  But Mount has gone the natural route to the first team, 2 years loan and played as an AM, and at 22 is still only getting minutes in a CM role.

Thinking that being a great playmaker for the youth and U23 means a player should follow that route into the first team is where Chelsea got it wrong with McEachran and RLC.  
It worked with Wilkins but that was old Div 2 (and Wilkins and Chopper was alongside him!)

42 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Nothing to do with that (though media often make that error).
It is about playing the nominal 9 in a deeper role than the other guys besides him.  A V-shape  not a ᴧ- shape (not a flat line nor ordinary rotation).

So a bit like playing as a 10, just without a 9 in front of you.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Why not just leave him as a striker where he is?

Never heard Firminho called a false 9.  Or Werner.  Or the recent Kane.  I guess people only want to apply it to ex-midfield players.

I think there is money for the right player, but it has to be a guaranteed starting player, not just adding even more wasted strength to the bench.

CF:  I suspect Tammy and Giroud are gone.  And Haaland, Mbappe, Lukaku and Neymar are the only strikers I can think that would automatically start in our front line,  the goals will come and I wouldn't pick a City striker ahead of ours.  
I guess Haaland or nothing.  And ironically if we wanted just a backup player, Bats would perfectly compliment the others - crap in everything except finishing.

CM : in all the games where Gilmour has started for TT, either Mount has been rested or he played alongside Billy.  I conclude that the pecking order for CM then is now Kante/Jorginho, then Kovacic, then Mount removed from front 3 and only lastly Gilmour.  We have also had I think one whole game and lots of short spells with Mount effectively as CM3.
In other words we have enough CMs even with Billy on loan.  Only Jorginho I think gets called fun-size, and then mostly by people who don't get it.
Especially with 3 at the back and Conte or TT like coaching, one of the back three is always going to follow if a big striker tries to drop into the CM space.
So I don't think we do need a big CM.  And certainly not a back up anyone.  And I'm not sure even Rice would command a place in the current team.

As for selling players for £40m, who is going to pay that now?  £40m gets you an in form Werner.  Only City seem to have that kind of money for anything less than a Haaland or Neymar.

CB:  Zouma another year and then one of Sarr, Guehi or Ampadu to add to the first team squad.  Mostly (Gilmour aside) the club has been too wise to burden the coach with players that would be better off getting regular games elsewhere or players who are just not up to scratch (irrespective of wages).  I think that continues.

GK.  I see no issues, only competition.

I cannot speak for everyone but I apply the term False 9 to players who play the No.9 role but drop into midfield or the AM positions frequently when they're playing. It is really a slur or anything, it is just I want a player who can lead the line and physically occupy two CB's if needed. As I said, we will probably have to roll with Havetz (a player I was going on about for 18 months prior to signing and a player who I am very happy with.) 

No more Batsh*t thanks, he is dire we don't need to flog that horse anymore. 

I call all the midfields fun-sized as Jorgi is the tallest at 5'10" and all of them are of a slight build. Personally, I like all the players but we do struggle with teams in the middle when they get physically aggressive. We are also virtually the only top club in Europe without a big/physical CM, I mean even Le Arse have Partey now. For me, we need one of those players for the WBA's of this world. Tbf, we don't need to go crazy, Amapdu could maybe fill that void and play a back up CB role. The only issue with Ethan is that he lost a lot of minutes in his teenage years so I am loath for him to come back now rather than in a year or two. 

At CB, I said it needs to be a left footed one. This is more of a tinkering rather than a must. Personally, I don't see Zouma getting another year. City yesterday had him in a spot of bother a number of times. Fortunately he has excellent recovery pace and tackling however he had to do two risky tackles to bail himself out yesterday and he could've given a second pen away for allowing Sterling to get wrong side for the third time in the half. Personally, with Zouma I see this coming window as the best one to raise the most cash as I do not see him playing much next year. If he stays I won't be going crazy but if we want the best fee for him, then this coming summer is the one were it is most likely to happen. 

As for the comment about £40m for Jorgi, I also agree it is very unlikely, but that is the only way I see him leaving as he is too valuable to let go for less. 

Kepa: we have both given our own views on him enough to go over it again. 

12 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I cannot speak for everyone but I apply the term False 9 to players who play the No.9 role but drop into midfield or the AM positions frequently when they're playing. It is really a slur or anything, it is just I want a player who can lead the line and physically occupy two CB's if needed. As I said, we will probably have to roll with Havetz (a player I was going on about for 18 months prior to signing and a player who I am very happy with.) 

But that is anyone but Giroud for us.  

If that is what you really want, OK.  But I think it is more about replacing Costa and Drogba than planning for the future.

15 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I call all the midfields fun-sized as Jorgi is the tallest at 5'10" and all of them are of a slight build. Personally, I like all the players but we do struggle with teams in the middle when they get physically aggressive.

Well I have never seen Kante bullied.  Indeed I don't really see us getting bullied.  We do get pressed from time to time, and that is a successful tactic (and I wonder why WBA have had such success and others haven't tried it).  I see the need for a large CM to drop in with twin CBs or a very mobile CM (s) that drop wide to cover FBs so neither CB has to do that.
I don't see the need for a 4th CB playing in midfield.
A big CM for me only makes sense if we go to a back 4.  In many ways Azpi is the aggressive tackling DM I often thought he would turn out to be.

The advantage of Zouma is against more traditional teams.  And TT seems to have found ways to avoid giving him 100+ passes in a game.  Silva for the top teams, Zouma for the bottom (those with a real 9)  has worked this season.  But yes, they may both move on together.
For 21/22 the choice seems to be Silva and Zouma sharing duties, or one or two from Sarr, Guehi, Ampadu.  I think Zouma has been rewarded with plenty of loans on Chelsea wages, it is his turn to sit on the bench while the others get more experience.
Or we may go to 2 at back and then the case for Zouma is stronger.