• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Willian

Codger   

I don't understand why we didn't sign Özil instead if Mourinho wanted another playmaker.

The question then would be: how do you service statistically the two best playmakers in world football?

I'm all for two players per position, but that might be taking things a little too far.

life   

I don't understand why we didn't sign Özil instead if Mourinho wanted another playmaker.

Mourinho didn't want another playmaker per say

he wanted another player who can run at players with pace but can also still be intelligent..

basically another hazard,

ozil cannot run at players with pace like hazard and willian can, but he is intelligent and a good passer of the ball

like oscar, mata and de bruyne, but we already have 3 of those who arguably will be better and one who already is better (mata)...

infact I wouldn't take ozil in this team over oscar, they have similar stats but oscar has the edge by being so much more complete than ozil,

the work rate is outstanding.

so I will say we the club made the right decision knowing we already have 2 players marginally better than he is

people will understand how important a player like willian is for us,

there were times in the season where hazard did not play and just mata did

mata couldn't give us that penetration we needed, we only had hazard for that,

now we have both hazard and willian, with mata, oscar de bruyne for a different dimension too

we have really done well this window bar a few odd decisions

and I am not worried much about ozil going to arsenal, they are more dangerous, much much more but

I would've been more worried if fabregas went back

we are yet to see if ozil can replicate what fabregas did for arsenal

maybe a less defensive responsibility will make us see the real attacking ozil

but I see why real let ozil go and decided to go with isco, instead of di maria leaving

isco is more talented and more of a goal scorer...

ozil is CLASS though, I am not saying he is not, I am just saying I understand why this scenario occured

word is that he was offered to man u and man city and both rejected the chance to take him

Edited by life

paulw66   

Ignoring the differences between the two players (which others have pointed out), it would have been a huge gamble to ignore Willian (back on 22 August) and let him go to Spurs at a time nobody knew Ozil was available and who subsequently didn't become available until deadline day.

If only Jose had your crystal ball.

Harvz   

The question then would be: how do you service statistically the two best playmakers in world football?

With a striker that can actually put away a high percentage of the chances they create. Never going to happen with us this season.

Zoowraa   

With a striker that can actually put away a high percentage of the chances they create. Never going to happen with us this season.

You say that, but I was debating here the other day some people saying we scored enough goals last season. I agree with what you say, but some of the same people who debated Cavani/Falcao/Lewandowski/Rooney for months on end decided a couple of days back that we scored more than enough goals last season (James Prescott/PaulW)

If that was the case, why did we spend months talking about these strikers when we didn't need one.

Sea foot   

You say that, but I was debating here the other day some people saying we scored enough goals last season. I agree with what you say, but some of the same people who debated Cavani/Falcao/Lewandowski/Rooney for months on end decided a couple of days back that we scored more than enough goals last season (James Prescott/PaulW)

If that was the case, why did we spend months talking about these strikers when we didn't need one.

No one says we scored enough goals last season, you can never score enough goals.

What was being said is that the scoring of goals was not the problem but the leaking of them.

Of course we need decent strikers. Saying that we scored well as a team does not negate the need for proven strikers. Sometimes I think you post just to raise an argument.

Zoowraa   

No one says we scored enough goals last season, you can never score enough goals.

What was being said is that the scoring of goals was not the problem but the leaking of them.

Of course we need decent strikers. Saying that we scored well as a team does not negate the need for proven strikers. Sometimes I think you post just to raise an argument.

No I dont! (Joke)

Ok point taken, I think the defence could of been better last season. I just feel that there were plenty of games that should of been wrapped up and if more clinical we would of been 3-0 instead of 1-0 up. This created extra pressure on the defence because the game was still there for the opposition.

So maybe it was a mixture of the 2, but I think you solve that by attacking and being more clinical rather than the defence needing to improve.

Just my thoughts.

^ Reminds me of Hernan Crespo at the JJB Stadium (or whatever that piece of shot stadium is called these days).

strange to say but it depends if your strikers primary role is to score goals.

if his role is to be capable enough to worry defences and therefore pull defences around then he will open up opportunities for talented midfielders, who are also capable of scoring, and we have several of those. Plus he will chip in with a few here and there.