• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2020/21 Season

Orange Blue    4

‘We are going to have (Andreas) Christensen and (Nathan) Ake, who are coming from the Academy,’ he said. ‘We are going to have training with us, but also playing for the Under-21 team, (Dominic) Solanke, (Jeremie) Boga and (Izzy) Brown.

‘The other ones who are a bit older, 20 or 21, we feel they need to compete against men in a different league, people like Bamford, Swift, Chalobah. They are ready to go to other clubs and have a good loan.

Sleeping Dave    118

^ Very disappointed with that.

Ake, Christensen, Solanke, Brown and Boga. Great - happy for them.

But I had hoped that Baker and Chalobah would have been given a fair crack this time around.

jones    54

^ Very disappointed with that.

Ake, Christensen, Solanke, Brown and Boga. Great - happy for them.

But I had hoped that Baker and Chalobah would have been given a fair crack this time around.

Always thought Baker needed a loan. Needs to play week in week out. Had hoped Nat would be there too, but obviously he has not impressed enough. Fingers crossed for a successful loan at a PL club. Has to take a step up from CH football.

Rumours last night about Bamford to Boro being "pretty much done" - that I am disappointed with. Thought there was interest from all the promoted PL teams ...?

paulw66    523

Always thought Baker needed a loan. Needs to play week in week out. Had hoped Nat would be there too, but obviously he has not impressed enough. Fingers crossed for a successful loan at a PL club. Has to take a step up from CH football.

Rumours last night about Bamford to Boro being "pretty much done" - that I am disappointed with. Thought there was interest from all the promoted PL teams ...?

Another loan to the Championship doesnt say "progression" does it? I was hoping to see him in the PL too. Same with Chalobah.

Sleeping Dave    118

I'm starting to think that Ake is groomed to be that 7th defender. He's HG (as in proper HG CLUB-trained) while Chalobah can step in to CB if needed and provide CM cover.

For CM maybe Van Ginkel will stay and Mikel sold with Chalobah providing cover for the 5th CM position.

AM - Boga to fill the 6th AM spot? Technically he's already there to compete. He doesn't look so slight and weak as Musonda. Technically and physically he's ready - what about mentally? He's only 17 years old after all but Boga represents the type of talent we should give a chance. Forget about the players who look rounded etc - we have to look for talents that have abilities that aren't usual. Boga represents that. He's got something that is extremely valuable.

S - Bamford could be an option as the third/fourth option. As for his finishing he's a damn natural. His goal yesterday was pure class.

GK (3): Cech/Courtois, Schwarzer, Blackman

DF (7): Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Zouma, Luis, Ake

MF (5): Matic, Fabregas, Ramires, Van Ginkel, Chalobah

AM (6): Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Schurrle, Salah, Boga

S (4): Costa, Lukaku, Torres, Bamford

PL: 25 players, 15 foreigners, 4 HG, 6 U-21

CL: 25 players, 16 foreigners, 1 CT, 3 AT, 5 U-21

The signing of Drogba and the news that Chalobah is likely to go on loan has really thrown this off. All of a sudden we have:

GK: Cech, Courtois, Schwarzer, Blackman

DF: Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Terry, Cahill, Zouma, Christensen, Luis, Ake

MF: Matic, Fabregas, Ramires, Van Ginkel, Mikel/Romeu

AM: Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Schurrle, Salah, Boga, Brown

S: Costa, Torres/Lukaku, Drogba

That’s 18 foreigners for the PL squad (if Torres stays) and 17 if we keep Lukaku.

For the CL squad we have 19 foreigners if Torres stays and 18 if we keep Lukaku.

Not sure what will happen to Baker as he is between the two agre groups he was talking about (Boga, Brown, Solanke types vs. Chalobah and Bamford).

Sending Chalobah on loan means we will have to retain either Mikel or Romeu and that’s yet another foreign place used. Signing Drogba obviously gives us another foreigner. All of a sudden the 16 or 17 foreigners I had envisaged (with three foreign keepers) is now 17-19 (depending on what happens with a few of the foreigners we have).

Some work left to do… That’s 18 senior outfielders and 4 youngsters (Zouma, Christensen, Ake, Boga). This is too small and not strong enough in my opinion.

To solve the foreign aituation of the following needs to happen:

1) We sell Torres and keep Lukaku

2) We sell/loan Cech or Courtois

3) We sell/loan both Mikel and Romeu

But the smallish squad problem remains.

A few observations – in my book it makes no sense to keep Mikel, Van Ginkel and Romeu. Neither are likely to be first choice at CM and they are all foreigners.

With Chalobah going out on loan – it looks unlikely we can get rid of 2/3 of those CMs. I still hope Torres will leave but I just can’t see it happening… That leaves the Cech/Courtois situation… Will we make a decision this summer?

Salah – absolute waste to use a foreign spot on him. Moses would have been no worse.

Bridgejunky    0

Another loan to the Championship doesnt say "progression" does it? I was hoping to see him in the PL too. Same with Chalobah.

We'll see if Nate gets a PL loan, but truth be told I don't think he's good enough yet.

If Patrick can make himself a regular, first choice selection with a Championship side that will be progression of a sort I suppose.

We'll see if Nate gets a PL loan, but truth be told I don't think he's good enough yet.

If Patrick can make himself a regular, first choice selection with a Championship side that will be progression of a sort I suppose.

He did well at Derby but was only there half a season and never really became undisputed first choice. Giving him a full season in the Champ as number one striker is the best thing for him. Scoring 20+ goals in that division is certainly progression.

A year ago I was gutted that Nate didn't get a PL loan and in the end he was disappointing in the Champ. Also using the Omeuruo example I think that the club realise the best thing for these young players is guarenteed game time. Risky loans we have taken such as Piazon to Malaga and Wallace to Inter have not really worked. I suspect that if Chalaboh returned to Watford he would have had another storming season and if they had won the play off final I suspect that would have been in the PL. It shows the fine margins of these decisions, Derby could have also got promoted and taken Bamford. What the club are doing is finding clubs that they trust to use with repeat loans and I'm sure Jose trusts his former assistant to develop these players.

Edited by samhoward17

Bob Singleton    228

The problem is that the most likely Premiership clubs to take these players on loan will be those at the bottom end, and will they want to play the likes of Chalobah, Bamford etc ahead of more seasoned professionals used to relegation fights if they weren't already integrated in that squad? For all we know, maybe some Premiership clubs have enquired about loan deals for some of our fringe/U-21 players and the club decided they probably wouldn't get the minutes we would like them to get. The alternative is to send them to Championship clubs with managers who are also good coaches (whatever we may all think of Steve McLaren as England manager, at club level he's proved himself to be a good coach) and who may also be in the mix for promotion, where they are more likely to play on a regular basis. If we loan one of our youngsters to another Premiership club, but they end up only playing a few minutes here and there, then what was the point of the loan?

As samhoward17 said above, the margins are fine... if Derby had got promoted, maybe we would be seeing Bamford in the Premier League this season. If Watford had got promoted the season before last, maybe we would have seen Chalobah in the Premiership last season.