• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2020/21 Season

Sarin    0

The jury is still out on Baker. For some reason Mourinho did not mention him. Perhaps the reason being is that he has not fully decided what to do with him at this point in time.

Mourinho has mentioned Baker, and said he will likely be in the first time squad as he wants another English player.

Likely play under 21's, train with the first team, maybe get a few games in the cups or subbed on a few times for experience.

jones    54

Yes, Mirror also with extended quotes including Baker. you've got to Wonder why his name was excluded from TOCWS ...

Edited by jones

jones    54

@sleepingdave: what os the difference between Zouma an Christensen in terms of foreign slots for CL? Would assume they are in the same category, under 21 and having spent less than 3y at the club.

Torres, Romeu (loan), Mikel definitely are the ones Jose is trying to offload I think.

chiswickblue    54

@sleepingdave: what os the difference between Zouma an Christensen in terms of foreign slots for CL? Would assume they are in the same category, under 21 and having spent less than 3y at the club.

Torres, Romeu (loan), Mikel definitely are the ones Jose is trying to offload I think.

Christensen is B list eligible for the CL as he's U21 and has been with the club for 2 years. If he stays with us for another season he'll be club-trained (for when he's over 21). Aké is now club-trained but will remain on the B list for the time being.

Zouma will take up a foreign spot and always will.

jones    54

Thanks! Did not know the rules for B-listed players.

New quotes from JM this morning saying there WILL be 3 youngsters in the squad. And it seems likely that the 3rd is Baker. TOCWS

jones    54

Ok, so Jose has confirmed that three youth players will be officially part of the squad. Ake and Christensen are certain, and the “one more Englishman” is very likely to be Baker. I assume he sees Lewis as a 6th AM, much like the role KDB were unhappy with last year. I expect Baker to be more than content to fill this “gap” in the squad.

Mourinho also confirmed that a “foreign” player would have to leave. From where I stand, there will have to be more than one leaving, but of course that is related to who is currently “in”. I think there will be a 5th CM in the squad (after Matic, Cesc, Ramires and MVG), and it will either be Mikel or Romeu. If we can’t sell Mikel, Romeu will probably head out on loan. The second player I am talking about is of course Torres. Lukaku’s HG status makes him not only an important player, but an important piece in a complicated puzzle. With Costa and Drogba coming in, one of Lukaku and Torres will have to go. But if that is Lukaku, we still would need to get rid of another foreigner. Expect Jose to be praying for some Granovskaia magic here. I think this is the squad he is aiming for, and it is all down to the club’s ability to shift on Mikel and Torres for acceptable fees:

Cech, Courtois, Schwarzer

Azpi, Ivan, Luis, Ake, Terry, Christensen, Zouma, Cahill

MVG, Matic, Fabregas, Ramires, Romeu (the latter likely to be the one missing out on CL football)

Oscar, Hazard, Willian, Schurrle, Salah, Baker

Costa, Drogba, Lukaku

In CL we have 3 CT (Ake, Terry, Baker), 3 HG (Cahill, Fabregas, Lukaku), 1 B-listed (Christensen), which means one foreigner will have to be excluded for the 6 group games (like Essien last year): Romeu seems like the most likely candidate, given how Ake also can fill the DM duties.

paulw66    523

meanwhile, what has happened to Jamal Blackman? Went on tour last season, signed a new deal in spring and now he is nowehere.....

chiswickblue    54

Judging by his twitter he doesn't seem to be on any of the club's tours. Very strange.

In CL we have 3 CT (Ake, Terry, Baker), 3 HG (Cahill, Fabregas, Lukaku), 1 B-listed (Christensen), which means one foreigner will have to be excluded for the 6 group games (like Essien last year): Romeu seems like the most likely candidate, given how Ake also can fill the DM duties.

Just to be picky - Aké and Baker will also be on List B as they are still U21. JT (and Kakuta) is the only club-trained over 21 that we have.

Alan Conway    10

With all due respect it is all good talking, but I would rather see actions. Give these guys a crack this season rather than 2 mins at the end of a game or one start at the end of the season when we have already confirmed our position. As I have said before I will remain coy on all this homegrown players getting a chance here, I still doubt any of the mentioned players will see anything more than 45 mins between them this season.

BlueFizz    69

With all due respect it is all good talking, but I would rather see actions. Give these guys a crack this season rather than 2 mins at the end of a game or one start at the end of the season when we have already confirmed our position. As I have said before I will remain coy on all this homegrown players getting a chance here, I still doubt any of the mentioned players will see anything more than 45 mins between them this season.

45 mins this season, three times that next, proper integration thereafter...

All for youth, but also for winning - and unless we win trophies and ideally get permission to develop local area to expand capacity - I think we need to win to stay in top drawer under FFP - so for me 'give them a fair crack' is high risk - evolve them slowly and steadily I prefer.