• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2020/21 Season

Am I the only one to think that in big games, Mourinho will play with Ivanovic at RB and Azpi at LB?

I have no doubts it will happen. I do doubt that there will be an undisputed back four like last year and instead expect a slight rotation of five with Zouma back up. I expect some big games you will see that, others Ivan/Luis, others Azpi/Luis. I think more often than not, Luis will play against lower table teams.

Holymoly    163

Personally I don't think we've got enough grit in midfield yet to grind out a result against the likes of WBA and Sunderland when they decide to up their game against us. Maybe Jose has brought back Drogba to play the enforcer role ;-)

There is reason why our league is the most competitive in the world and that is because on any given day any team can beat any other. That is down to grit and determination and refusing to roll over and play dead (unless you're Arsenal). We must guard against being too lightweight in midfield against the less skillful sides. The likes of Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Salah and Fabregas are fast and skillful but are very small and with the majority of the squad being fairly new to the Bridge you have to ask if the characters will be on the pitch to make them play for the badge when things start to go wrong. Drogba isn't going to play many games and if Terry gets injured this could be the difference between a successful campaign and a disappointing one.

With the media already penciling us in for a top two spot I think they are discounting the departures of Lampard and Cole from the dressing room being a major factor for us this year.

Edited by Holymoly

Zoowraa    22

Personally I don't think we've got enough grit in midfield yet to grind out a result against the likes of WBA and Sunderland when they decide to up their game against us. Maybe Jose has brought back Drogba to play the enforcer role ;-)

There is reason why our league is the most competitive in the world and that is because on any given day any team can beat any other. That is down to grit and determination and refusing to roll over and play dead (unless you're Arsenal). We must guard against being too lightweight in midfield against the less skillful sides. The likes of Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Salah and Fabregas are fast and skillful but are very small and with the majority of the squad being fairly new to the Bridge you have to ask if the characters will be on the pitch to make them play for the badge when things start to go wrong. Drogba isn't going to play many games and if Terry gets injured this could be the difference between a successful campaign and a disappointing one.

With the media already penciling us in for a top two spot I think they are discounting the departures of Lampard and Cole from the dressing room being a major factor for us this year.

Ramires,MVG and Matic. If we fall short this season ,grit in the middle of the park will not be the reason. We certainly are not lightweight, in fact, no Mourinho team can be accused of lacking grit.

bluecueball    5

I see where you're coming from but, provided we don't lose any further players, our midfield looks like it can mix it with the best of them too.

Matic - massive

Mikel - massive

Fabregas - feisty

Ramires - gets stuck in/fouled a lot

Van Ginkel - gets stuck in

Holymoly    163

I see where you're coming from but, provided we don't lose any further players, our midfield looks like it can mix it with the best of them too.

Matic - massive

Mikel - massive

Fabregas - feisty

Ramires - gets stuck in/fouled a lot

Van Ginkel - gets stuck in

I wouldn't say that Matic, Mikel, Ramires nor MvG lead by example, rather they tend to go in like Leeroy Jenkins ;-)

Mark Kelly    927

I wouldn't say that Matic, Mikel, Ramires nor MvG lead by example, rather they tend to go in like Leeroy Jenkins ;-)

Four Leroy's in one side!

A recipe for disaster!

jones    54

I see JM today speaking to TOCWS about how we have 18 foreigners, and that they need to decide on who is to leave.

However, if you include Romeu, Schwarzer and Mikel in the headcount, the number is 19. One of them is likely to already have had his future decided upon. Romeu? And who will be the second of the three to go? Or will we see a surprise move for Torres?

Sciatika    146

I think it will be MvG and Romeu to go (on loan, probably). I think JM will want older more experienced players to get solidity in the base of midfield and so will want to choose from Fabregas, Matic, Mikel and Ramires.

Mark Kelly    927

If Torres does go at the last moment , we would need to replace him, and barring our own youth team players I cannot immediately think of an adequate replacement who's English apart from Jay Rodriguez who is out til October.

So I'd expect us to replace him with another overseas player.

paulw66    523

If Torres does go at the last moment , we would need to replace him, and barring our own youth team players I cannot immediately think of an adequate replacement who's English apart from Jay Rodriguez who is out til October.

So I'd expect us to replace him with another overseas player.

Absolutely. Shifting Torres won't solve anything.