• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Squad Status: 2020/21 Season

jones   

Yep. Not surprising. We still have 18 though, Schwarzer looking the likely candidate to miss out.

Hope the loan serves him well.

So we are likely to comply with the PL squad requirements. With the addition of several U21s we should have the below group of 25 for first-team training. But now what do we do about the lack of quality-in-depth in defence and up front?

Cech, Courtois + Beeney (or AWOL Blackman)

Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic, Luis, Azpilicueta + Zouma, Christensen, Aké

Matic, Fabregas, Ramires, Mikel, MvG + Baker

Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Schürrle, Salah

Costa, Drogba, Torres

An upgrade on Torres is a must. An experienced homegrown centreback would help with squad security, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Holymoly   

So we are likely to comply with the PL squad requirements. With the addition of several U21s we should have the below group of 25 for first-team training. But now what do we do about the lack of quality-in-depth in defence and up front?

Cech, Courtois + Beeney (or AWOL Blackman)

Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic, Luis, Azpilicueta + Zouma, Christensen, Aké

Matic, Fabregas, Ramires, Mikel, MvG + Baker

Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Schürrle, Salah

Costa, Drogba, Torres

An upgrade on Torres is a must. An experienced homegrown centreback would help with squad security, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Can't help thinking that our squad lends itself to 4-3-3 rather than 4-2-3-1 as it stands

jones   

Can't help thinking that our squad lends itself to 4-3-3 rather than 4-2-3-1 as it stands

However, apart from one half of 4-3-3, JM has played 4-2-3-1 all pre-season. Despite the fact that all our AMs were missing, and we were stacked in CM. Ramires, Baker, Fabregas are all AM options. Unless we are massively injured in that area, I will be shocked to see us not playing 4-2-3-1 for most games.

However, apart from one half of 4-3-3, JM has played 4-2-3-1 all pre-season. Despite the fact that all our AMs were missing, and we were stacked in CM. Ramires, Baker, Fabregas are all AM options. Unless we are massively injured in that area, I will be shocked to see us not playing 4-2-3-1 for most games.

I agree that it's more than likely to be 4-2-3-1, even though I'd like the balance of Mikel-Ramires-Fabregas in midfield, with Matic for Fabregas and MVG for Ramires as other options.

I'm more interested to see if it's the high press, intensive, way of playing 4-2-3-1 that we saw early last season or the more attritional (knackered) style that we saw late last season. The physical condition of the Brazilians is going to be crucial to this.

Sciatika   

Not sure why we are assuming Schwarzer will miss out. I think its more likely to be MvG. (And Zouma to miss out on CL.)

People talk about Ramires as an AM but I think he is all about energy and is far better played deep and bursting forward. But to do that he needs a solid partner (Mikel or Matic). So I imagine the combinations will be Fabregas or Ramires coupled with Mikel or Mati or occasionally playing 4.3.3 with Mikel/Matic at the base and two of Fabregas, Ramires and Oscar in front.

Edited by Sciatika

jones   

I think it is fair to assume that Hazard will start every important match. He will play a lot. Willian, Oscar and Schurrle are all at the same level for me, and I think they will rotate a lot on the next two places. Salah will play too, but I see him more as a sub and a player to play when others (Hazard) are rested. Baker will hopefully get some time as well. So for Ramires and Fabregas as options, I think it is more to add depth in the squd than to think they will be played there often.

Not sure why we are assuming Schwarzer will miss out. I think its more likely to be MvG. (And Zouma to miss out on CL.)

People talk about Ramires as an AM but I think he is all about energy and is far better played deep and bursting forward. But to do that he needs a solid partner (Mikel or Matic). So I imagine the combinations will be Fabregas or Ramires coupled with Mikel or Mati or occasionally playing 4.3.3 with Mikel/Matic at the base and two of Fabregas, Ramires and Oscar in front.

Why is it less likely that a third choice goalkeeper will miss out?

Sciatika   

Simply because we only need to lose two to have to rely on our third place GK whereas in CM, we would have to lose 4 (Fabregas, Mikel, Matic, Ramires). And even if that happened we are more able to cover from elsewhere. GK is a position where only GKs (and David Webb) can play.