• Current Donation Goals

Droy was my hero

Books You've Enjoyed Or Would Recommend

Sea foot   

Sat through the hurricane on Monday and have been without electricity for a day (on and off all week), water for 2 days and no internet until now. Still, had a good excuse to re-read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Wonderful. Just started to re-read American Gods. Always find something new every time I read his books. Wish I could say the same about this site, I'm just about to jump in and catch up with a weeks worth of CFCnet. Wish me luck.😬

15 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Sat through the hurricane on Monday and have been without electricity for a day (on and off all week), water for 2 days and no internet until now. Still, had a good excuse to re-read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Wonderful. Just started to re-read American Gods. Always find something new every time I read his books. Wish I could say the same about this site, I'm just about to jump in and catch up with a weeks worth of CFCnet. Wish me luck.😬

Read both , both different , both excellent , just finished the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb , excellent fantasy recommended for fans of George RR Martin.

Ruudboy   
On 15/09/2017 at 3:10 PM, Bob Singleton said:

"A Dying Breed" by Peter Hanington. First novel. Formerly worked on the BBC Radio 4 Today programme, mainly on stories from Afghanistan, Iraq etc., and this book is mostly set there. The main character is a world-weary BBC foreign affairs correspondent on his last assignment before taking a 'voluntary redundancy' that he's not all too keen to take, who stumbles across shady dealings between the British and Afghan governments that everyone would like kept quiet.

Once I started reading it I honestly couldn't put it down; I was desperate to get to the final denouement.

Thanks for the recommendation, Bob, best page turner for a while. 

1 hour ago, blue moon said:

Thanks for the recommendation, Bob, best page turner for a while. 

Glad you enjoyed it.

13 hours ago, Brian Mcculloch Glasgow said:

I loved reading "The Kite Runner". Amazing I would say.

Yes very good.  I saw the stage version recently, which was just about OK.  But book and follow up by Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Setting Suns were excellent.  The first is a story about males, fathers and sons.  The second very much a female viewpoint.

But one warning, the version of Taliban Afghanistan it presents is very much a modern US stereo type of what we are supposed to understand.  Not the much messier reality.  Charlie Wilson's War and anything about the Drug trade tells you a much fuller story.

On 04/11/2017 at 1:04 AM, Droy was my hero said:

Yes very good.  I saw the stage version recently, which was just about OK.  But book and follow up by Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Setting Suns were excellent.  The first is a story about males, fathers and sons.  The second very much a female viewpoint.

But one warning, the version of Taliban Afghanistan it presents is very much a modern US stereo type of what we are supposed to understand.  Not the much messier reality.  Charlie Wilson's War and anything about the Drug trade tells you a much fuller story.

Yes, absolutely agree with you.

Books are my favourite past time and I have read quite a few books over the years. Some that I still cherish are Rusking Bond's 'Writer on the Hills', Kahleid Hossaini's 'The Kite Runner' also I enjoy reading adventure books.

JaneB   

Found this book when I was having a sort out the other day.

Probably needs to be updated 💙

081E3FCC-F9BE-4F23-AE9D-4155A3BC00FB.jpeg

chara   

Hmm....Jane we could do with some of the grit in that list of players.

Books....my sister sends me a book for Bday and Christmas...some very good and some less memorable...recently..sort of.. "English Passengers" by Matthew Kneale ..enjoyed it immensely and also led me to wandering through the net researching much Australian recent..all of it recent of course!...history regarding the penal colonies and the treatment of the native inhabitants...native meaning in situ ..have to watch for the PC police!....all vaguely familiar but a fresh more than eyeopening experience.