• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: Tiemoue Bakayako Departs And Signs For Napoli On Loan

Rob B   

^ Possibly, but it would surely be a bigger statement by simply not playing him for 3-4 weeks consecutively? 

I’d even have Ethan Ampadu ahead of him right now 

27 minutes ago, Rob B said:

^ Possibly, but it would surely be a bigger statement by simply not playing him for 3-4 weeks consecutively? 

I’d even have Ethan Ampadu ahead of him right now 

I think the point mark k was making was that Conte has now got a death wish.

By NOT playing Baka the team does better and Conte doesn't get his death wish. 

50 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

It is possible that a bit of Conte is thinking "there you go Chelsea board. This is what you got me as a replacement for Matic...enjoy!". Conte is a good manager, surely he can see what's happening to Bakayoko? Mind you I thought Jose could see what Ivanovic was doing to his job prospects and the teams but I got that wrong.

Except Baka doesn't play instead of Matic.  Matic played as deep or mostly deeper than Kante.  And in anycase, Matic was eased out by Conte in favour of Fabregas eventually.
Baka plays instead of Fabregas!  And if Fabregas is included Baka plays instead of Willian/Pedro.

And essentially Conte replaced Ivanovic with Alonso (allowing for Azpi to move over).
And Alsonso plays identically to Ivanovic except with a left foot.

On 31/12/2017 at 9:54 PM, Michael Tucker said:

Imo, Bakayoko is a box-to-box midfielder. He's certainly not a CB, and I can't see him becoming one any time soon. 

A box-to-box midfielder is certainly what I thought we were getting, based admittedly on only ever seen him play maybe three or four times last season. A brick sh*thouse, hoof-it-out style CB type of player would definitely IMO be one of the more charitable interpretations of what we've seen so far of him here.

And that's perhaps the worst thing I can say about Bakayoko ... I don't even know what job it is that he isn't doing properly. He has been utterly dreadful. To think we have him often pushing in to a no.10 role while Pedro, Willian and Bats sit on the bench most weeks is mental.

I wonder what bright spark looked at that Monaco side and ignoring Mbappe , Silva, Lemarr et al ,picked out Bakayoko ?

Give that guy an award.

Although , perhaps he's one for the future ?

A future where brain transplants are available so you could drop Frank Lampards brain into Bakayokos body .

Edited by Mark Kelly

jangz   

a lot of vitriol .. stop making Baka a scapegoat and an easy target.. he is not the only one to blame.. Conte has played a very defensive formation.. Willian and pedro haven't really performed when given the opportunities for him to consider otherwise.. Fabregas has been dire for the last couple of matches.. Morata missed 3 sitters in one of the biggest games of our season...

2 hours ago, jangz said:

a lot of vitriol .. stop making Baka a scapegoat and an easy target.. he is not the only one to blame.. Conte has played a very defensive formation.. Willian and pedro haven't really performed when given the opportunities for him to consider otherwise.. Fabregas has been dire for the last couple of matches.. Morata missed 3 sitters in one of the biggest games of our season...

You're right about the other players you mentioned not performing, however with Bakayako, it's gone past the stage of him simply being a scapegoat for a few bad performances... He's just not good enough. 

I can recall three games he's bettered a 6/10 performance: Atletico (A), Manchester United (H), and Huddersfield (A), and only the last one because he scored.

He can't pass, shoot, man-mark, or tackle, and wins less headers than N'golo Kante. The only thing he looks good at is occasionally running the ball forward on counter attacks, but he's being played at the expense of a winger anyway so he's a complete waste of time.

Edited by BlueFlag999

17 minutes ago, BlueFlag999 said:

He can't pass, shoot, man-mark, or tackle, and wins less headers than N'golo Kante. The only thing he looks good at is occasionally running the ball forward on counter attacks, but he's being played at the expense of a winger anyway so he's a complete waste of time.

The Man U game you mentioned he played instead of Kante, and I thought he was good in all the games he played as replacement.

Can't pass, can't shoot, can't control the ball cleanly - accepted.

Can't man-mark, tackles or win headers - very wrong.  Defensively he is very strong, strong tackler, and excellent in the air.  But it is hard to show this if he is given the Willian role, and not the old Matic role at which he would be very good.

Alongside Zouma they'd make a fine PL quality CB pairing.  In a team which already has 3 CBs and Alonso and Kante playing at DM, he does look sorely out of place.

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Can't man-mark, tackles or win headers - very wrong.  Defensively he is very strong, strong tackler, and excellent in the air.  But it is hard to show this if he is given the Willian role, and not the old Matic role at which he would be very good.

Alongside Zouma they'd make a fine PL quality CB pairing.  In a team which already has 3 CBs and Alonso and Kante playing at DM, he does look sorely out of place.

I just think saying he'll be a good defender is a very optimistic hope for a big lump of a player having a place in the team. A bit like the opposite theory of Luiz playing in midfield when he was a defensive liability.

Maybe I'm wrong and he'd have better positioning further back, but in my opinion his tackling is very Fellaini-esque - gangly arms all over the opponent and not much of the ball. Honestly, seeing it live is even more obvious, especially when you compare his defensive work to Kante.

Incidentally, if I were Christensen, I'd sooner have Baka in front of me than on the right or left of me (and God forbid you suggest replacing Christensen with Baka!)

11 minutes ago, BlueFlag999 said:

Maybe I'm wrong and he'd have better positioning further back, but in my opinion his tackling is very Fellaini-esque - gangly arms all over the opponent and not much of the ball. Honestly, seeing it live is even more obvious, especially when you compare his defensive work to Kante.

I wouldn't compare him or anyone else to Kante.  Not really fair to compare him with Christensen either.  I don't see him as a Chelsea CB, certainly not in a 3 man CB which requires a bit  more sophistication.  

I have seen him twice live this season, once replacing Kante, once as sub for Kante.  Weak oppo but he looked very comfortable in that role.  And I am horrified at how he plays in front of the CMs.  Horrified.  But I find it hard to blame him for that.