• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: Ross Barkley Departs And Signs For Aston Villa On Loan

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm more optimistic that we can shift his wages than a lot of our other loanees,  might get a small fee.  

If he goes this summer, we will get our money back at the very least. I would almost guarantee that.

thevelourfog    223
11 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

If he goes this summer, we will get our money back at the very least. I would almost guarantee that.

Barkley is perhaps the only loan player I could genuinely believe we'd make money on. Villa have thrown money around since making it back to the PL, and he's done well enough to be someone they'd want to keep. I'd imagine Grealish only gets harder to keep hold off each window and that might push an offer for Barkley, also.

13 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Barkley is perhaps the only loan player I could genuinely believe we'd make money on. Villa have thrown money around since making it back to the PL, and he's done well enough to be someone they'd want to keep. I'd imagine Grealish only gets harder to keep hold off each window and that might push an offer for Barkley, also.

Yes I agree. They are playing him in a position which suits him, it is looking like a good fit for club and player and unless something drastic happens like injury, complete loss of form or he becomes prone to his off the pitch stupidity (though they accept that with Grealish).I see no reason why Villa wouldn't be prepared to pay at least what we paid for him. Interest from other clubs could also drive that price higher, especially if he goes to Euro's and comes out of that positively.

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

Barkley has undoubtedly looked great for Villa. I think it's always been clear when you give him space he's got a lot of talent. His big problem has always been decision making or to be harsh, his football intelligence. Playing rubbish qualifiers for England, league/fa cup against lower league he was always useful. Playing as a number 8 for Chelsea against a packed defence was never going to see him thrive. 

Living with a Villa fan, I've seen a lot of them and Barkely gets free reins to do what he wants and loads of space as they can play on the counter. They've encouraged him to try the spectacular and not worry about defending and it suits him. He was never going to be given the keys to the attack in the Chelsea team and undoubtedly he was being coached into a ball recycler and forced to play deeper. He is capable of brilliance however needs to be as far away from your own penalty box as possible and he certainly cost us on many occasions. 

I've never been a fan of Barkely even going back to his Everton days but would admit he was useful for a short period post-lockdown. The general thinking from Villa is they will not sign him as we are asking for too much money and given his age, wages plus injury record it's too big of a risk. They've just signed Sanson who is believed to be the Barkely replacement. Expect him to either come back as a bench option or go out on loan again next year. 

Jasonb    34

I like Barkley as a sub when plan A is not working, and think he is intelligent enough to shoot or cross and get on the end of a promising move.

The_Ghost    167
On 2/21/2021 at 4:16 PM, Jasonb said:

I like Barkley as a sub when plan A is not working, and think he is intelligent enough to shoot or cross and get on the end of a promising move.

I think Barkley could be an option for us in the two behind a central striker. 

Currently we have the following players that can operate in that space;

Mount, Havertz, Werner, Pulisic, Ziyech, Hudson-Odoi. At the moment, only Mount is clearly better than Barkley in that position imo with both Pulisic and Hudson-Odoi arguably being better as the wide midfielders behind the 2-1 up front. 

I don't foresee the club keeping Barkley, as we have spent too much on Ziyech and Havertz, and we also have Loftus-Cheek as an option there as well. We are certainly well stocked in that department!

33 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Mount, Havertz, Werner, Pulisic, Ziyech, Hudson-Odoi. At the moment, only Mount is clearly better than Barkley in that position

Come on now.  They are all better than Barkley there.  So I suspect is RLC (there).
And nearly all can play in other positions too. And all are younger too (except Ziyech who is also 27).

Bison    79

Can't start for a Villa team missing Grealish through injury.

thevelourfog    223
On 02/02/2021 at 0:24 PM, thevelourfog said:

Barkley is perhaps the only loan player I could genuinely believe we'd make money on. Villa have thrown money around since making it back to the PL, and he's done well enough to be someone they'd want to keep. 

This ...

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Can't start for a Villa team missing Grealish through injury.

... was based on bits and pieces I'd paid attention to, but I'm told by a Villa supporting friend that he's been pretty rubbish overall; overplaying, losing the ball, getting injured when a gust of wind hits. I'd like to disbelieve and stick with what I said a month ago, but it just sounds too plausible.

19 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

This ...

... was based on bits and pieces I'd paid attention to, but I'm told by a Villa supporting friend that he's been pretty rubbish overall; overplaying, losing the ball, getting injured when a gust of wind hits. I'd like to disbelieve and stick with what I said a month ago, but it just sounds too plausible.

His first 5 or 6 games he was genuinely brilliant. He then got injured and since he's come back has been terrible. His ups are really not worth the downs.