• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Olivier Giroud Departs

Recommended Posts

Jasonb   
12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Giroud - 3 or 4 days ago I read an interview where he leaned over backwards not to criticise SFL and said something like the manager may have decided to make someone else first choice, and I have to accept that from him, but I don't accept it within myself and I'm determined to change that.
Standard words for a 2nd choice club player turning up to a NT press conference.

I wondered how long it would take for a few hacks to read that 2nd or 3rd hand and turn it in to some kind of protest.  3 or 4 days.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in the next window as being older he does not have much time left at the top and he is clearly third choice with us currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in the next window as being older he does not have much time left at the top and he is clearly third choice with us currently.

Well clearly 2nd choice, Bats has only come on when we were many up or when Giroud has not been on the bench.  And Giroud started the first game.
But there is something odd about him disappearing from the bench - perhaps he genuinely was ill as SFL said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasonb   
15 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well clearly 2nd choice, Bats has only come on when we were many up or when Giroud has not been on the bench.  And Giroud started the first game.
But there is something odd about him disappearing from the bench - perhaps he genuinely was ill as SFL said.

Well if Frank does want him to say having him on the bench and bringing him on would be a start.

Have a feeling it will be Bats though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
29 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well clearly 2nd choice, Bats has only come on when we were many up or when Giroud has not been on the bench.  And Giroud started the first game.
But there is something odd about him disappearing from the bench - perhaps he genuinely was ill as SFL said.

I don't think it is that odd. Frank likes his teams to press. Giroud, for all of his strengths, can't really run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I don't think it is that odd. Frank likes his teams to press. Giroud, for all of his strengths, can't really run. 

Which puts him several strengths ahead of Bats who can't do much at all (though he can finish sometimes).

Still we really shouldn't jump to conclusions that Giroud might be off simply because he still does interviews with the NT.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
36 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Which puts him several strengths ahead of Bats who can't do much at all (though he can finish sometimes).

Still we really shouldn't jump to conclusions that Giroud might be off simply because he still does interviews with the NT.  

I don't think he is off, but I can understand why he doesn't necessarily fit into the way SFL wants to play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

I don't think he is off, but I can understand why he doesn't necessarily fit into the way SFL wants to play

After parsing that for a few minutes - yes I agree.  But then he is too old to be a first choice striker for 30+ PL starts anyway.

He certainly complements Tammy as a big striker to play alongside if we need goals at the end.  Or as a big striker to be an out ball if we are hanging on.  But not as a starting striker (though Bats offers even less, and in practice Giroud is always going to be the go to alternative if Tammy gets injured).

He is a place holder for next year, by when we'll know if we need a starting striker or a back up for Tammy.  Actually half the team are place holders, and much or the rest are on trial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

After parsing that for a few minutes - yes I agree.  But then he is too old to be a first choice striker for 30+ PL starts anyway.

He certainly complements Tammy as a big striker to play alongside if we need goals at the end.  Or as a big striker to be an out ball if we are hanging on.  But not as a starting striker (though Bats offers even less, and in practice Giroud is always going to be the go to alternative if Tammy gets injured).

He is a place holder for next year, by when we'll know if we need a starting striker or a back up for Tammy.  Actually half the team are place holders, and much or the rest are on trial.

Indeed. For my money, we need upgrades at CB, AM, CF and probably RB next season. Questions also surround CM, GK2, a second AM (think this could be solved with a Werner/Dembele type CF signing) and LB (I am not convinced we need to upgrade the Emerson/Alonso pairing.) 

Edited by King Kante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Indeed. For my money, we need upgrades at CB, AM, CF and probably RB next season. Questions also surround CM, GK2, a second AM (think this could be solved with a Werner/Dembele type CF signing) and LB (I am not convinced we need to upgrade the Emerson/Alonso pairing.) 

Just out of interest really. I know you were against Edourd when I mentioned him, yet you mention Dembele. Surely Edourd has the higher ceiling out of these two? 

Eduord’s hold up play and ability to link up play is far better than Dembele. Edourd can play as a modern day No 9 on his own, whilst I’m not sure Dembele could do that role well in the PL.

I reckon most Celtic fans would rate Edourd as the better player of the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Just out of interest really. I know you were against Edourd when I mentioned him, yet you mention Dembele. Surely Edourd has the higher ceiling out of these two? 

Eduord’s hold up play and ability to link up play is far better than Dembele. Edourd can play as a modern day No 9 on his own, whilst I’m not sure Dembele could do that role well in the PL.

I reckon most Celtic fans would rate Edourd as the better player of the two.

Personally, when I have seen Edourd he reminds me a lot of Bony, who was also a player that was effective at a lower level and then when he stepped up to City he was completely out of his depth owing to the lack of space and time he would get in comparison to his time at Vitesse and Swansea. 

Dembele and Werner for me are better fits for us for a few of reasons. First I think they are more skilful players and can operate in tighter spaces which is important when you play at top clubs. Second, they can both play AM as well as CF, which means that they do not need to do the donkey work which will be covered by Tammy moving forward. Third, both are proven at a level much higher than Edourd and are more experienced. When we go to the market next we do not need yet more potential and inexperience as we have that in bundles, what we need are experienced players who are proven at a high to very high level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now