• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Christian Pulisic

6 hours ago, Bison said:

If whoever identified and sanctioned this transfer (at 60m!) is still in charge of player recruitment we are heading nowhere.

Really 

more than likely it is the same person who decided to take the two window transfer ban on the chin, utilise the academy players, hire a club legend as a coach, got some Spanish  club to pay over the top for a bloke with a year left on his contract and created a positive atmosphere around the club for the first time in years. 

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

jangz   
On 9/24/2019 at 1:06 PM, Bison said:

Pulisic is clearly not a Pemier League level talent and certainly not for a club with aspirations of finishing in the top 4.

His career numbers indicated he wasn't going to have much impact and his performances to date have been even worse than I expected. The Sheffield Utd game in particular exposing just how bad he is.

If whoever identified and sanctioned this transfer (at 60m!) is still in charge of player recruitment we are heading nowhere.

This ^

I think some people have an opinion of a player before he joins and then every game where the player does shine is a stick to beat him with... Yes he did not do great yesterday.. but he also was unplayable against liverpool in the supercup.. he is young player there will always be games like this...  he is adjusting in a new league plus had start - stop game time...

as per numbers neither willian nor pedro have been great last 2-3 years yet  managers tended to select them.. which tells me wing play is more than just numbers.. 

I still like the basics - Workrate, Pace, Dribble and a good cross.. rest of the attributes will develop.. give the lad a fair chance before you slate him.... atleast a decent sample size?

but basics of wing play are still there.. he has 

chara   
2 hours ago, jangz said:

This ^

I think some people have an opinion of a player before he joins and then every game where the player does shine is a stick to beat him with... Yes he did not do great yesterday.. but he also was unplayable against liverpool in the supercup.. he is young player there will always be games like this...  he is adjusting in a new league plus had start - stop game time...

as per numbers neither willian nor pedro have been great last 2-3 years yet  managers tended to select them.. which tells me wing play is more than just numbers.. 

I still like the basics - Workrate, Pace, Dribble and a good cross.. rest of the attributes will develop.. give the lad a fair chance before you slate him.... atleast a decent sample size?

but basics of wing play are still there.. he has 

Mentioned it on my match post...even experiences players have the "Needs a season to adjust to EPL" mantra...for goodness sake Higuin was going to be better once he adjusted to the EPL!....The basics are there and he does try to fit in the games flow....Willian stepovers etc and turning back to face our half are an improvement on the boy?...how old is he?..20?..long way to go and a lot of time to improve..looks an intelligent player..wasn't it him who gave Bats room for his first goal?..didn't snatch at a chance but left it deliberately ..shows awareness..and I'm sure he plays to his instructions.

Bison   

Pulisic was understandably fed up as Lampard used all three of his substitutions by the 84th minute and the United States international vented his frustrations after the final whistle.

He has now been an unused substitute for the fourth time in five games for the Blues.

‘Yeah, of course, it is very frustrating,’ Pulisic told Pro Soccer Talk. ‘But I will continue to work my hardest because I want to play.’

A 60m albatross.

jangz   
58 minutes ago, Bison said:

A 60m albatross.

what is the point of this post.. given this actually  was a very positive comment and shows the mentality of the lad .. instead of throwing his toys out and saying I will look for a move if this continues (what the media wanted him to say).. he actually said I will work harder to change lamps mind...

2 minutes ago, jangz said:

what is the point of this post.. given this actually  was a very positive comment and shows the mentality of the lad .. instead of throwing his toys out and saying I will look for a move if this continues (what the media wanted him to say).. he actually said I will work harder to change lamps mind...

Unfortunately, some people prefer to be proven right , ahead of the player proving to be successful.

I got no problem with people having a strong opinion on a player, but at least give them some time to settle ahead of making such quick snap decisions.

Its so obvious that Pulisic will need time to adapt to PL, not every player does, but he carries all the traits of a player who will. I wouldn’t start coming close to judging him until New Year at earliest, possibly even next season.

Klopp has been pretty astute in the transfer market over the last 2 years. Liverpool were the strongest link to Pulisic for about 18 months prior to him signing for Chelsea, many felt it was a done deal at some point. We can all revel in reminding Bison of his premature stance once he has settled to life in the PL. 

It is a bit worrying how badly he has trailed off but, at the same time, Mount is doing well, Willian looks fit and sharp, and Hudson-Odoi is back.

We have all seen players at the club who have struggled to get involved as much - Zhirkov, Felipe Luis, Salah, De Bruyne... Pulisic has talent for everyone to see but it doesn't look like he is cutting it in training I can only assume.

Lamps seems like a really fair guy to work for and, at the moment, Pulisic isn't able to get a look in. I can't believe its a question of talent TBH.

paulw66   
23 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I got no problem with people having a strong opinion on a player, but at least give them some time to settle ahead of making such quick snap decisions.

Judging any signing (postiive or negatively) 6 weeks into the season is just plain ridiculous. 

For a 21 year old in a new league, even more so

9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Judging any signing (postiive or negatively) 6 weeks into the season is just plain ridiculous. 

For a 21 year old in a new league, even more so

Indeed. If he was in his mid-20's then there may be a case to be made. However, Pulisic was a bit of an odd signing. I say this as he is currently very lightweight, he has never really got many goals or assists and he also got ousted by and 18 year old (Sancho) last season. When we signed him I was surprised as he is not the type of dynamic player that most would have liked in a new AM. I am not writting him off but he will need to work on things. 

Leo91   

I thought he had shown signs of dynamism. He's got a quick burst of speed, great close technique, can go past players. 

• Like 1