• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Christian Pulisic

paulw66   
53 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

He needs to go. He is made of glass and lacks robustness and resilience even when fit. He is not strong enough for this league, is not a particularly intelligent player and has not influenced the outcome of many, if any matches. We must do better than him.

that's just a lie. before he ripped his hammy in the Cup Final, he was our best player.

His form after the initial lockdown was sensational.

16 minutes ago, Ham said:

A bit early to write him off completely.  He's just a kid.  

Quite........for some reasons, young players who have been bought don't get the same leeway as the academy boys of similar age. Still only 22

3 hours ago, East Lower said:

My own thoughts on him are documented in the match day threads. He needs to be sold whilst he has some value. We’ll take a loss but those are the breaks. 

He’s running like he got his boot laces tied together, never stretching/exerting himself  at 100%. Add his ineffectiveness with the ball and he’s no edge to his game and also stopping CHO having enough game time for all parties to know for sure if he is in the 13 or in the 19 or however many are in the match day squads these days. 

really? CHO has played a lot under TT. Far more so than Pulisic, in fact. That really is a bizarre observation. 

16 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

that's just a lie. before he ripped his hammy in the Cup Final, he was our best player.

His form after the initial lockdown was sensational.  ✔️

Quite........for some reasons, young players who have been bought don't get the same leeway as the academy boys of similar age. Still only 22  ✔️

really? CHO has played a lot under TT. Far more so than Pulisic, in fact. That really is a bizarre observation. ✔️

15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I think you need to be careful about using words like "lie". You may disagree with me, but you don't have the right to impugn my integrity. Moreover, you have given no examples of games where he has influenced the outcome. As I said, there are not many, if any.

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

I think you need to be careful about using words like "lie". You may disagree with me, but you don't have the right to impugn my integrity. Moreover, you have given no examples of games where he has influenced the outcome. As I said, there are not many, if any.

Off the top of my head........

Burnley away (hat trick)

Scored in a run of games around that time.........Watford away, Valencia away, Palace at home

City at home (incredible solo goal)

He won 3 or 4 penalties in the run in. Sorry, but I don't remember every opponent.

He came off the bench and turned the game around at Aston Villa.

He scored in the cup final, before it went belly up (for him and us) 

I fully get that the injuries are a concern, but his ability isn't in question. 

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Burnley away (hat trick)

Scored in a run of games around that time.........Watford away, Valencia away, Palace at home

He won 3 or 4 penalties in the run in. Sorry, but I don't remember every opponent.

In other words not many actual outcomes influenced. I don't dispute that he has ability on the ball, but he does not have enough robustness to endure in this league and doesn't show enough footballing intelligence to influence games. Most importantly he can't stay fit enough to be a reliable member of the team.

The fact that he is getting so many injuries this early in his career does not bode well for him and I think we need to cash in if we can.

4 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:
22 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Burnley away (hat trick)

In other words not many actual outcomes influenced.

34 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

You may disagree with me, but you don't have the right to impugn my integrity. Moreover, you have given no examples

You've done it already yourself.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Quite........for some reasons, young players who have been bought don't get the same leeway as the academy boys of similar age. Still only 22

The reasons are obvious. One is that the academy boys didn't cost £60m, and whether or not you like that or think it's fair those sorts of sums bring expectations. Another is that the academy boys too often get a ridiculous amount of leeway that I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to extend to others. 

Perhaps the most damning reason, though, is that the academy boys currently in the first team have simply outperformed him over the course, to a man, since he arrived. Perhaps the leeway comes from a bias, but even so it would be coincidentally earned.

I'd agree Pulisic had a period where he played sensationally well. I'd also agree, though, with anyone saying that period was fairly short-lived, and he's spent more time either injured or looking pretty poor.

I don't much more basis for an argument that he'll come good than there is for one saying this is about as good as it gets. 

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

The reasons are obvious. One is that the academy boys didn't cost £60m, and whether or not you like that or think it's fair those sorts of sums bring expectations. Another is that the academy boys too often get a ridiculous amount of leeway that I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to extend to others. 

I get all that. Doesn't make it right.

You either give a young player allowances, or you don't. The price tag isn't on the individual.

The common sense approach is to fully expect any young player will have inconsistencies. 

18 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm not sure that they do anymore.  At least the first team coach since Ranieri no longer seems obliged to commit to them, and the best generally are allowed to play on loan which surely is what they want.  (Who wouldn't want to play at a club they were just about good enough for, while earning at Cobham!)

There is always a lot to do with fitness that we don't know about.  So yes RLC and CHO have been treated like delicate Race Horses while Hazard was and Werner is treated like Pit Ponies.  But I suspect that is to do with the actual medical issues, not how much they cost or how much people care about the Academy.

6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

really? CHO has played a lot under TT. Far more so than Pulisic, in fact. That really is a bizarre observation. 

Not really, one has 20 appearances in the league with 9 subs included, the other has 19 appearances with 9 subs included. Pulisic has the higher number. 

Pulisic is injury prone here, as he was at Dortmund and isn’t showing any sign of improvement in that area. His technical aspects are showing the same weak signs as at Dortmund, poor first and second touches and poor decision making in key areas. He had one area that got him through and that was his pace, that’s eroded through injury and/or mental fragility. 

CHO still has two years on CP, and I say IF he’s given consistent game time and he gets his head around hard work and talent will see you through, rather than just talent and the odd bit of hard work - I see more benefit giving the game time to him than CP. 

Nothing bizarre in that for me, maybe both of them will not be good enough. But for me there’s more in it for the club to invest time in one than the other. 

Edited by East Lower