• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Christian Pulisic

19 hours ago, East Lower said:

What difference will a handful of games make? Plus one of the reasons for CHO getting a few more games was CP wasn’t available for selection. 

Perseverance paid dividends with Mount as an example and CHO hasn’t been afforded that consistent appearance opportunity. He’s worth giving the chance to, over and above (in my view) CP.

FWIW I’m not convinced by CHO either, it’s that I believe he may have more scope to improve. 

The one area CP does seem to be a good deal better is the knack of getting on the end of things/being Johnnie on the spot and nicking a goal. Just not on the pitch enough to be a real telling factor and the days of just being a 8-12 goal a season goal stealer seem long gone. Attacking players seem to have to be far more than that nowadays. 

Facts. Tbf, he is still just 20, and I think he will have his due next season.

paulw66   
23 hours ago, East Lower said:

What difference will a handful of games make? Plus one of the reasons for CHO getting a few more games was CP wasn’t available for selection. 

Perseverance paid dividends with Mount as an example and CHO hasn’t been afforded that consistent appearance opportunity. He’s worth giving the chance to, over and above (in my view) CP.

FWIW I’m not convinced by CHO either, it’s that I believe he may have more scope to improve. 

The one area CP does seem to be a good deal better is the knack of getting on the end of things/being Johnnie on the spot and nicking a goal. Just not on the pitch enough to be a real telling factor and the days of just being a 8-12 goal a season goal stealer seem long gone. Attacking players seem to have to be far more than that nowadays. 

The reason Mount has been consistently picked is because he has been consistently excellent. Not the other way around, 

4 hours ago, didierforever said:

Facts. Tbf, he is still just 20, and I think he will have his due next season.

Pulisic has played 1124 PL minutes and 217 CL minutes.  Total 1314

CHO has played 902 and 340. Total 1242

Their minutes this season are very similar.

Pulisic last season got 9 goals and 4 assists in 1727 PL minutes, a contribution every 132 minutes. When CHO delivers that sort of consistency, perhaps he will merit more starts. I've said it before, the only concern with CP is injuries, not ability. 

43 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The reason Mount has been consistently picked is because he has been consistently excellent. Not the other way around, 

That and never having played a game for Chelsea until he was a few months older than CHO is now.

20 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Pulisic has played 1124 PL minutes and 217 CL minutes.  Total 1314

CHO has played 902 and 340. Total 1242

Their minutes this season are very similar.

Pulisic last season got 9 goals and 4 assists in 1727 PL minutes, a contribution every 132 minutes. When CHO delivers that sort of consistency, perhaps he will merit more starts. I've said it before, the only concern with CP is injuries, not ability. 

Lets compare apples to apples, lets forget "last season".

Pulisic: 3 goals, 2 assists - 1592 mins (ALL competitions)

CHO: 5 goals, 4 assists - 1677 mins (All competitions)

There is no doubt who has had the better output this season.

Also, you talk as if injuries and abilities are NOT correlated. There are a lot of examples where a very talented player becomes a very average one due to persistent injuries. Essien comes to me from the top of my head. 

paulw66   
2 hours ago, didierforever said:

Lets compare apples to apples, lets forget "last season".

Pulisic: 3 goals, 2 assists - 1592 mins (ALL competitions)

CHO: 5 goals, 4 assists - 1677 mins (All competitions)

There is no doubt who has had the better output this season.

Also, you talk as if injuries and abilities are NOT correlated. There are a lot of examples where a very talented player becomes a very average one due to persistent injuries. Essien comes to me from the top of my head. 

Well no, I am not forgetting last season. It is a clear indicator of what he can deliver. It is relevant to judging what he can offer us. 

Injuries don't make you less talented, but they do impact your ability to apply that talent, and I have repeated numerous times on this thread how I completely understand the concerns over his injury record. I have no concerns over his ability. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Well no, I am not forgetting last season. It is a clear indicator of what he can deliver. It is relevant to judging what he can offer us. 

Injuries don't make you less talented, but they do impact your ability to apply that talent, and I have repeated numerous times on this thread how I completely understand the concerns over his injury record. I have no concerns over his ability. 

I hope you're right about Pulisic, but I suspect his glass hamstrings will blight his career. I don't think he has the robustness needed even in the modern Premier League.

We were so spoilt with Hazard.

paulw66   
Just now, RDC Williams said:

I hope you're right about Pulisic, but I suspect his glass hamstrings will blight his career. I don't think he has the robustness needed even in the modern Premier League.

We were so spoilt with Hazard.

Sadly, I think there is a good chance of that. I expect he will need to be managed properly for the rest of his career. 

52 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Sadly, I think there is a good chance of that. I expect he will need to be managed properly for the rest of his career. 

The biggest issue we face with him is that he himself doesn't appear to trust his own body and until he does ...

Leo91   

Trust ? If he's feeling his hamstring tighten then it isn't a question of trust. Rather it be a muscle issue rather than a joint or ligament. 

11 hours ago, Leo91 said:

Trust ? If he's feeling his hamstring tighten then it isn't a question of trust. Rather it be a muscle issue rather than a joint or ligament. 

Ordinarily I'd agree, but hamstrings are the exception and often presage a chronic problem. Ligament and tendon injuries tend to be more acute, but with modern surgical techniques are no longer the immediate career enders they once were.