• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Cardiff City 1 Chelsea 2

Recommended Posts

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

I think your confusing yourself, I've not heard anyone say we have very bad players, or abysmal players. What we have is a squad that finished 5th last season plus one outfield player purchased in the summer, almost everyone on here and nearly every fan I know thought we'd be top 6 this year, with most hoping for but not expecting  a top 4 finish.

Your arguing Sarri isn't good enough when with the squad we have, we are exactly where most Chelsea fans thought we'd be, after finishing 5th last season.

If we had the squad to win the league and your argument was that Sarri wasn't good enough it may hold some weight but when we are exactly where we all expected us to be it's just nonsense.

And you tell people to stop spouting rubbish.

Ok, so we have the players to beat the likes of Cardiff and Bournemouth, or at least play like a superior team. But if we fail to do that, er..., it's the players, or the board's fault Lately I've heard a new excuse - a Serie A scout 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Ok, so we have the players to beat the likes of Cardiff and Bournemouth, or at least play like a superior team. But if we fail to do that, er..., it's the players, or the board's fault Lately I've heard a new excuse - a Serie A scout 

Its football. It's not quite as simple as a team with better players beating inferior teams.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

I think your confusing yourself, I've not heard anyone say we have very bad players, or abysmal players. What we have is a squad that finished 5th last season plus one outfield player purchased in the summer, almost everyone on here and nearly every fan I know thought we'd be top 6 this year, with most hoping for but not expecting  a top 4 finish.

Your arguing Sarri isn't good enough when with the squad we have, we are exactly where most Chelsea fans thought we'd be, after finishing 5th last season.

If we had the squad to win the league and your argument was that Sarri wasn't good enough it may hold some weight but when we are exactly where we all expected us to be it's just nonsense.

And you tell people to stop spouting rubbish.

In a nutshell

5 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Its football. It's not quite as simple as a team with better players beating inferior teams.

 

In a nuthsell. 

12 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Ok, so we have the players to beat the likes of Cardiff and Bournemouth, or at least play like a superior team. But if we fail to do that, er..., it's the players, or the board's fault Lately I've heard a new excuse - a Serie A scout 

We beat Man City in December, then they lost to Crystal Palace, who we beat, but then City then beat us, handsomely. Crystal Palace lost to Liverpool, who were beaten by Man City, but drew with us, although we beat them in the league cup....... how does that all work if the team with the best players always beats the teams with the inferior players? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sciatika   

But that's why we like the way our league works. I heard someone bemoan how hard it is now to beat the bottom clubs in the premier league, but why would it be worth having a league if every game can be predicted on the money spent or the quality of the players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

But that's why we like the way our league works. I heard someone bemoan how hard it is now to beat the bottom clubs in the premier league, but why would it be worth having a league if every game can be predicted on the money spent or the quality of the players?

Well it can more or less.  Like all sports leagues, money spent on players is highly correlated with performance.  There is some randomness thrown in (and a bit of reffing bias in the Prem) so match by match it looks random, but over a season it balances very neatly.

So big differences do much more damage than smaller ones.

In the Prem the top clubs are on about 4 times the revenue of the lowest non-relegated clubs.
In Spain it is more like 15+ times.

For example they have spending caps on wage bills in Spain,  For Barca that is EUR 633m.  For Girona (not relegated or promoted) it is EUR 37m
https://www.statista.com/statistics/764962/budget-equipment-from-football-from-the-league-in-spain-2015-2016/

Does anyone want to watch the bottom La Liga clubs, even when they play Barca or RM?  No.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

In a nutshell

In a nuthsell. 

We beat Man City in December, then they lost to Crystal Palace, who we beat, but then City then beat us, handsomely. Crystal Palace lost to Liverpool, who were beaten by Man City, but drew with us, although we beat them in the league cup....... how does that all work if the team with the best players always beats the teams with the inferior players? 

Right, so all the talk of us having a poor team has been bullocks then. You've just made my argument. Just remember that and pass it on the Droy and Ghost

Next time we can't put two passes together, remember then that it may not be because Hazard is useless or Pedro can't pass. It may be because the coach's methods are not good enough

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

In a nutshell

In a nuthsell. 

We beat Man City in December, then they lost to Crystal Palace, who we beat, but then City then beat us, handsomely. Crystal Palace lost to Liverpool, who were beaten by Man City, but drew with us, although we beat them in the league cup....... how does that all work if the team with the best players always beats the teams with the inferior players? 

Those kind of results happen all the time in the PL, hence the huge sums paid by sky and co to televise matches. 

The league table never lies on which team has the best players and which teams are improving and vise versa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   
17 hours ago, paulw66 said:

What wonderful irony. 

Then say something that makes sense and stop the bullshit alignment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.